Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

dll.xml Catstrophe - Recoverable?

My computer froze while downloading some lengthy ORBX scenery, I was forced to hard reboot and upon restarting got a message my dll.xml file was corrupt. I swamped it in Roaming for a backup from last summer. 

On loading FSX, there is no spinning aircraft, athough I can select any of those on my system, and entering any flight has no scenery, just a white horizonless space (and no aircraft). The connections to the scenery and aircraft are broken!

So far I've removed dll.xml and tested if FSX will create one (no).

Removed FSX.cfg and tested if FSX will create one (no, FSX crashes within seconds of trying to load). 

I am starting to panic a bit, my system has been stable for years. Is this fixable, do you think???

All the best, 

Paul

Try this as a default dll.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
    <Descr>Launch</Descr>
    <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
 </SimBase.Document>

• Upvote 1

Bert

Also, often times, if another program has been installed that uses the dll, it will create a backup of the dll.xml before it installed.

Thanks Bert, but that didn't work. The corrupt dll.xml was totally blank. 

Why won't my backup work, I wonder? 

And why is it that only my ORBX scenery is in the FSX Scenery LIbrary? I was in Orbx CEntral downloading data at the time ...?

It may not be your dll that's causing the crash. Try rebuilding the scenery.cfg. Then the FSX.cfg.

is it as easy as removing it and restarting FSX Adriana?

Yes. Save a copy just in case of Murphys law. At this point, can't do much more damage. 😉

• Like 1

A-ha! Clever people! I swapped a back-up scenery.cfg into the Program Files/FSX folder and got back the aircraft, all the scenery links up to last August and a flight. 

Couple of questions if you don't mind? All controls are gone, since FSUIPC is not in the AddOn menu, in fact a lot is missing. Did the scenery.cfg affect that? Or is that another file?? Controlling modules - is that dll.xml? 

The default flight works - but land covers the oceans, this may be something to do with the ORBX download of North America at the time, I can reinstall that if I have to. But the lack of all those modules is puzzling.

Anyway - I'm in... thank you for that! 

10 minutes ago, Mithras said:

Did the scenery.cfg affect that?

No

is that dll.xml?  

Yes. FSUIPC uses the dll to point to its module. Reinstall FSUIPC will fix that or a backed up dll containing it.

The default flight works - but land covers the oceans, this may be something to do with the ORBX download of North America at the time, I can reinstall that if I have to. But the lack of all those modules is puzzling.

Sounds like a "Boinked" Orbx install. Can reinstall the backup original scenery? Or, check the scenery library and see if the Orbx sceneries are there . If so, delete them.

Edited by Adrian123
  • Upvote 1

More success: I put my back-up dll.xml into Appdata/Roaming and all the modules, Acuusi, FSUIPC etc are all there. Cool! THanks guys!

Now - I have NO sea anywhere, middle of the Pacific, Indian Ocean ... but that's a different problem I'll look at tomorrow. That's certainly fixable. 

Many thanks gents! You saved me from a heart attack! 🙂 

• Like 1