Sign in to follow this  
MaggieL

XP11/Steam/Win10: no checklists. Where is debug log written?

@RXP    

Hello Jean-Luc!

I have been successfully using checklists with the plugin on XPlane 11 under Steam on my Windows 8.1 machine for a while now. I even have a software project that pulls checklist data from Garmin Pilot and renders it to an ACE file so you can use the same custom checklist in both places. Works great.XplaneRealityXP750.jpg

https://github.com/MaggieLeber/checklist

Recently I built a new desktop machine running Win10 Pro https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ZjQZxr

I can't get checklists to work at all.  I don't know why. 

I just now put 

[GTN_750_1]
DebugValue = 1

...in my RealityXP.GTN.ini .... where should I be looking for the log file? 

22 hours ago, MaggieL said:

Edit: I probably shouldn't have made this a comment at the end of a longish older post. Here it is as a standalone topic.

@RXP    

Hello Jean-Luc!

I have been successfully using checklists with the plugin on XPlane 11 under Steam on my Windows 8.1 machine for a while now.

I even have a software project that pulls checklist data from Garmin Pilot and renders it to an ACE file so you can use the same custom checklist in both places. Works great.XplaneRealityXP750.jpg

https://github.com/MaggieLeber/checklist

Recently I built a new desktop machine running Win10 Pro https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ZjQZxr

I can't get checklists to work at all.  I don't know why. 

I just now put 

[GTN_750_1]
DebugValue = 1

...in my RealityXP.GTN.ini .... where should I be looking for the log file? 

Ah....after running a search over MY ENTIRE PC fergoshsakes, I see there's a log file in my Documents folder. 

Jeez.

And here's what's in it. Still no checklist in the sim though.  

19/02/03 01:00:42.967 10300 -    ] # rxpGtnSim64.dll version 2.5.11.0
19/02/03 01:00:42.966 10300 INFO ] 
19/02/03 01:01:00.623 10300 INFO ] using: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\General Aviation\Alabeo C177_Cardinal_v1.1\checklist.gtn
19/02/03 01:01:01.023 06220 INFO ] 
19/02/03 01:01:58.635 15020 INFO ] GFX Debug: enabled.
19/02/03 01:03:52.822 09976 INFO ] using: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\General Aviation\Alabeo C177_Cardinal_v1.1\checklist.gtn
19/02/03 01:03:53.213 18728 INFO ] 
19/02/03 01:03:54.077 09460 INFO ] GFX Debug: enabled.

How about it, @RXP ?

Hi Maggie,

This is quite interesting a project, thank you for sharing!

TL;DR: in the "My Documents" folder.

This is further documented in the 'Troubleshooting' chapter of the RXP GTN User's Manual.

NB: DebugValue is just for the video card. You might want to use LogTrainer instead.

Unless the checklist file is not formatted properly (reader error), or is not in the correct aircraft folder, the only reason this would fail is whether your user account as read access rights for the file in this aircraft folder, itself in a parent folder which might preclude from reading the files. I'm wondering whether the trainer is trying to open with READ+WRITE access rights which would in turn reject access more often than not in these cases. I'll cross check this.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi again, my post above was in the other discussion, I've merged both now.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:53 AM, MaggieL said:

19/02/03 01:03:52.822 09976 INFO ] using: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\General Aviation\Alabeo C177_Cardinal_v1.1\checklist.gtn

It shows it detects the file ok. So this could mean either the file is corrupt, or the user account access rights don't match. You might want to replace this file with one from the 'starter pack' included with our installer to cross-check.

NB: since v2.5.11, you can indifferently use .gtn or .ace!

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

On 2/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, RXP said:

It shows it detects the file ok. So this could mean either the file is corrupt, or the user account access rights don't match. You might want to replace this file with one from the 'starter pack' included with our installer to cross-check.

Returning to this issue -- still failing after the latest update: I'll try a starter pack file.

Re: "the file may be corrupt" seems unlikely considering it works just fine in a real GTN-750.  Also works on my Windows 8.1 Pro install. So this is pointing us at access rights.

Do you know if Steam is manipulating user account access rights when running X-Plane 11 on WIn10? I also note that if you run the Garmin Trainer standalone (outside X-Plane) under Win10 that it fails to find the nav databases.

Update: starter pack files work. Binary header looks different from mine; something must have corrupted the file on its way from Win8.1 to Win10. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Great you've found the root cause and I'm sure this will be easy to fix. The checklist file is a binary file, not a text file!