Sign in to follow this  
CaptainXG

New 38" monitor for P3d v4 // 2019 Help / Comments requested

1 minute ago, Gordon Hutchison said:

From my experience; yes I would have to make the statement that TV's seem to be of a more consistent panel quality control than dedicated monitors these days.

Of course price range will play a part - a high end monitor will likely be better than a cheaper, larger TV.

I'm not advocating everyone gets 4K TV's over monitors for desktop use and I don't expect most folks to buy a £2.5K TV like my Sony XE93 just for PC use - its extravagant and I concede that.

However, since getting into flight sim's roughly 6 years ago I've used a 24" 1200p, 32" 1440p, 43" 4K and 34" 1440p Ultrawide - nothing even comes close to the immersive "experience" of the large 65" 4K.

Yes, the pixel density of 2160p over a 65" screen will have an effect on text clarity. However, with windows display scaling its perfectly usable for day-to-day pc usage (I'm sitting typing this on it now) - and it really shines when running a sim.

Believe me Gordon, in 5 years your 65” will start to look small and you’ll be thinking of a 75”. 😁

As an owner of a Loewe 55” OLED I did plug my computer into it to see what panels would look like on a huge display in UHD. It was impressive but no way could I live with running P3D on such a huge display. I’d get neck ache!

There’s nothing more subjective than a display. No right or wrong choices as it’s purely down to what suits the user. The only thing I would advocate is buying quality. Clearly you’ve done that so I hope it gives you years of happy use.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Believe me Gordon, in 5 years your 65” will start to look small and you’ll be thinking of a 75”. 😁

As an owner of a Loewe 55” OLED I did plug my computer into it to see what panels would look like on a huge display in UHD. It was impressive but no way could I live with running P3D on such a huge display. I’d get neck ache!

There’s nothing more subjective than a display. No right or wrong choices as it’s purely down to what suits the user. The only thing I would advocate is buying quality. Clearly you’ve done that so I hope it gives you years of happy use.

Don't Ray..I've already been looking at 4K projectors.....where does it end!

Edited by Gordon Hutchison

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

1 minute ago, Gordon Hutchison said:

Don't Ray..I've already been looking at 4K projectors.....where does it end!

:smile: It doesn't. Well, eventually it does but no need to go there.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

:smile: It doesn't. Well, eventually it does but no need to go there.

Remember 3d TV - put that in google and the first thing that came was was 3D-TV is dead with 2,910,000,000 results.

I have a 60 and there's no way that i'm going bigger, OLED, 3D or 4K.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

On 2/4/2019 at 1:32 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Why a ultra-wide monitor that doesn’t give you UHD resolution in the vertical axis?

I recently bought the BenQ PD3200U 3840*2160 and the PMDG737 NGX virtual cockpit looks superb and that’s with a 1080Ti.

Ray I am looking for a single good monitor for the same aircraft... however I only have a 1070 card. Not powerful enough?

I’m a neophyte when it comes to hardware requirements!

8 hours ago, Buzz71 said:

Ray I am looking for a single good monitor for the same aircraft... however I only have a 1070 card. Not powerful enough?

I’m a neophyte when it comes to hardware requirements!

Borderline. Without knowing your CPU I really wouldn't like to say. But, you could just turn down your settings to compensate if you're prepared to do that.

This comparison may help...

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3918vs3609

And Trusted Reviews said this "The GTX 1070 is only 8.11% behind the GTX 1080 at 1080p, but that gap increases to 16.13% at 1440p – and 16.91% at 4K. ... There's basically no difference between the two GPUs at 1080p, but the GTX 1080 is 16.93% faster at 1440p – and then 37.53% quicker at 3,840 x 2,160."

https://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/gtx-1080-vs-1070-2941604

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Buzz71 said:

CPU is i5 6600k @ 3.5ghz.

Really not sure what my next best option would be.

I wouldn't advise it with that CPU. What's more important to you? Decent performance or high resolution? I would say the minimum GPU for UHD is a 1080.

What resolution and size screen do you have?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Buzz71 said:

CPU is i5 6600k @ 3.5ghz.

Really not sure what my next best option would be.

Food for thought.  I ran a 4K monitor with a GTX980.  Worked quite well for P3D.  Not well for Xplane though.  Ray brings up some good points but it is possible without horrible performance.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

I think resolution is more important than performance for me.  I currently have three very clapped out old Dell monitors, one 23 inch and 2 22's. I use the 23 for P3D and the others for charts etc. 

I would prefer to go to a single larger monitor with good resolution and use charts on iPad. So basically looking for the best new monitor my PC will support, willing to consider ultra wide but cognisant of the issues raised earlier in the thread.

2 hours ago, Buzz71 said:

I think resolution is more important than performance for me.  I currently have three very clapped out old Dell monitors, one 23 inch and 2 22's. I use the 23 for P3D and the others for charts etc. 

I would prefer to go to a single larger monitor with good resolution and use charts on iPad. So basically looking for the best new monitor my PC will support, willing to consider ultra wide but cognisant of the issues raised earlier in the thread.

What’s your budget?

Have you decided on ultra-wide or 16:9?

Maximum size? If >40” then a TV is your only choice. It needs to support chroma 4:4:4 for showing text off properly. Most HDR TVs are chroma 4:4:4.

Once you have the answers to those questions then you can start to narrow down the choices.

Then read independent reviews of each display. Don’t read Amazon ones, too unreliable. Independents take reviewing seriously. Trusted Reviews is good.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Do you have a TV now that you can try just for fun.

I have a RTX2080 and a Dell 38" monitor. These monitors were made for flight sim if you ask me, and the video card will have no problems running it.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I have a pretty flexible budget but would probably draw the line at $1.5k.

Desk space not really a problem either although I am reasonably close to a potential monitor. 38 inch would probably be the maximum.  

Lighting is good I have a dedicated room which is well shaded but also has strong overhead lighting.

I’m open to UltraWide as above but I think fidelity of the cockpit is my primary concern.

So I have the means and capacity to get a quality monitor within those parameters but it’s trying to find the balance of what my system will run effectively.

2 hours ago, Buzz71 said:

I have a pretty flexible budget but would probably draw the line at $1.5k.

Desk space not really a problem either although I am reasonably close to a potential monitor. 38 inch would probably be the maximum.  

Lighting is good I have a dedicated room which is well shaded but also has strong overhead lighting.

I’m open to UltraWide as above but I think fidelity of the cockpit is my primary concern.

So I have the means and capacity to get a quality monitor within those parameters but it’s trying to find the balance of what my system will run effectively.

Your 1070 will handle 4k or a 38 inch ultra wide within reason.  Be careful with some of the advice given here.  One in particular likes to make false assumptions based only on his internet research.  Then he acts like an expert but lacks any real world experience.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

I like the look of the Samsung CF791 but do I need to find a Monitor with Gsync for the NVIDIA card?