Sign in to follow this  
CaptainXG

New 38" monitor for P3d v4 // 2019 Help / Comments requested

1 hour ago, Buzz71 said:

I like the look of the Samsung CF791 but do I need to find a Monitor with Gsync for the NVIDIA card?

Gsync is not a requirement.  As far as the CF791 is concerned there is a couple things you need to know.  It has a very aggressive curve that you may or may not like.  The monitor also has a very pixilated and grainy image to it.  Mine also showed up with a few dead pixels.  I returned it immediately.  Good luck it’s a tough choice.

Matt Wilson

3 minutes ago, Buzz71 said:

Ugh! Was looking at the LG as well but it seems to have less pixels per inch.

Can u squeeze in a 38 inch?

Matt Wilson

5 minutes ago, Buzz71 said:

Ugh! Was looking at the LG as well but it seems to have less pixels per inch.

What model?

Matt Wilson

28 minutes ago, Buzz71 said:

Other option looking good is Asus PG348Q.  1070 run this ok? 

Great monitor but my issue was it would not run at 30hz.  If u have the room definitely go for a 38 inch.  The 34 inch ultra wides lack just enough vertical screen area to be annoying.  Check out an Acer XR382CQK.  Great sim monitor.  LG 38’s I have heard are good but I have no personal experience with one.

Matt Wilson

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

Great monitor but my issue was it would not run at 30hz.  If u have the room definitely go for a 38 inch.  The 34 inch ultra wides lack just enough vertical screen area to be annoying.  Check out an Acer XR382CQK.  Great sim monitor.  LG 38’s I have heard are good but I have no personal experience with one.

Looks like my local retailer stocks the 38 Acer for about 1700 AUD.  I'm NVIDIA 1070 though so dont I need to go for gsync rather than free sync?

10 hours ago, turboken said:

Do you have a TV now that you can try just for fun.

I have a RTX2080 and a Dell 38" monitor. These monitors were made for flight sim if you ask me, and the video card will have no problems running it.

Is that the Dell Ultrasharp U3818DW?

7 hours ago, Buzz71 said:

I have a pretty flexible budget but would probably draw the line at $1.5k.

Desk space not really a problem either although I am reasonably close to a potential monitor. 38 inch would probably be the maximum.  

Lighting is good I have a dedicated room which is well shaded but also has strong overhead lighting.

I’m open to UltraWide as above but I think fidelity of the cockpit is my primary concern.

So I have the means and capacity to get a quality monitor within those parameters but it’s trying to find the balance of what my system will run effectively.

If fidelity is your primary reason for the change then be aware that all the ultra-wide monitors I can see have a vertical resolution of 1440 which is nowhere near UHD resolution of 2160. It's effectively a stretched 2560*1440 monitor so a half-way house between Full HD and UHD.

There is one exception - Dell UltraSharp U3818W 38" 3840x1600 IPS Curved Widescreen LED Monitor. That's closer to UHD but still 560 pixels shy. It's also pretty expensive at 2000AUD. Over budget I would imagine.

However if you consider 16:9 monitors you are restricted to 32" max. I couldn't find anything larger than 32" when I was looking for a new one and 40" TV was too large for the space available. Quite why they limit the size to 32" I don't know.

If you're up for a 32" 3840*2160 then there's plenty of choice. Mainly flat screens too. Curved seems to have fallen out of favour here in the UK but it's a personal choice.

Have a look through these recommended monitors. https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-gaming-monitor and https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-4k-monitors/

Be aware that if it's just for P3D you don't need 144Hz refresh rates primarily because you could never achieve that fps anyway. Far more important is 30Hz capability as many users feel that gives the smoothest performance in P3D. The downside for me is the less than great mouse response at 30Hz so I stick to 60Hz.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Be careful with some of the advice given here.  One in particular likes to make false assumptions based only on his internet research.  Then he acts like an expert but lacks any real world experience.

LOL! 😁 I wonder who you're referring to? Still doing the character assassination I see. Why don't you just take over with your unrivalled experience of buying monitors. How could I possibly compare to you when I've only bought 3 monitors in the last 10 years? 😁  Then again, I've been very happy with all of them because I did my research.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray.  I think I will go into a retailer to actually judge the size and see which would be optimal.  I'm still concerned about the 1070 card so figured the 1440p might be as high as I could go.

5 minutes ago, Buzz71 said:

Thanks Ray.  I think I will go into a retailer to actually judge the size and see which would be optimal.  I'm still concerned about the 1070 card so figured the 1440p might be as high as I could go.

There’s nothing like being able to see them rather than go off internet sites. That earlier link did show there isn’t a huge difference between 1440 and 2160 in terms of fps. I tried P3D on my other system - a 2560*1440 BenQ and it didn’t look that much sharper than FullHD.

Remember too it’s relatively simple to upgrade your graphics card so maybe plan for the future as well as for now.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 minutes ago, Buzz71 said:

I think I will go into a retailer to actually judge the size and see which would be optimal

Precisely what I intend to do rather than relying on doctored YouTube commission-paid hard sells

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

There’s nothing like being able to see them rather than go off internet sites.

Again, your statement says it all, Ray.