7 hours ago, ErichB said:

@TrentXWBI got the 9700K (will  overclock to 4.9) and a Auros Z390 Pro Mobo.  I also got the H100.

In terms of software post the upgrade.  I have my P3D on a dedicated SSD, separate to my W10 boot /OS disk.  If I was to use the Microsoft Creators Edition installer to reinstall the core Windows 10 files and leave my apps (particularly P3D)and docs alone - would this work?

That way W10 can configure itself for the new hardware, without the fuss of me having to reinstall everything else.  

Erich, why would you need to reinstall windows 10 again? I don't see the need/benefit to do that, I could be wrong tho.

I didn't reinstall anything during my upgrade and I had the same setup as you, P3D on a different SSD than W10, everything works fine. 

If you do decide to reinstall I don't think you can expect P3D can run after that. That is because during reinstallation windows will delete all the registry of P3D and all your add-ons (even if they are on separate SSD). Windows will only see as a fresh install and no traces of P3D and add-ons will be found.

That is basically will all windows programmes and apps. Fresh install means all registries gone even if they are still intact on separate SSD. 

What I did was just plug everything in (new CPU and motherboard) and turn it on. Windows will configure the settings itself. One important was the fact that my 'old' windows 10 installation was based on my Windows 7 which I can upgrade it to W10 for free. That old windows was registered on my old config (i5 6600K and Z170 mobo). Since I have a new config I had to buy a new windows key. There was another way of avoiding that, that is by reinstalling my windows 7, on my new CPU and mobo, again and upgrade it to the latest windows 10. But I couldn't be bothered or have the time to reinstall windows and P3D and other programmes all over again so I ended up getting a new license key. 

The statement above is also applicable for MS office. I heard, not sure if it were true, that if you uninstall MS office prior to upgrading (new CPU and mobo) then upgrade and reinstall MS office then you don't have to get a new MS office license key again. Again, I am not sure about this (Ms Office).

You can get W10 OEM key for a low price and also MS office, all legit.

Hope I understand you correctly and helps you in any way. 

10 hours ago, TrentXWB said:

Erich, why would you need to reinstall windows 10 again? I don't see the need/benefit to do that, I could be wrong tho.

I didn't reinstall anything during my upgrade and I had the same setup as you, P3D on a different SSD than W10, everything works fine. 

If you do decide to reinstall I don't think you can expect P3D can run after that. That is because during reinstallation windows will delete all the registry of P3D and all your add-ons (even if they are on separate SSD). Windows will only see as a fresh install and no traces of P3D and add-ons will be found.

That is basically will all windows programmes and apps. Fresh install means all registries gone even if they are still intact on separate SSD. 

The installation of the core Windows files using the Windows Media Creation Tool leaves everything related to apps and your docs alone.  The registry is not touched.  So you literally can continue as you did before.  It only reinstalled core Windows files.  I saw this on a Youtube video when I was having a number of issues before and it worked like a charm.  I could start-up P3D and use it as normal.   In this process,  it also looks at your hardware and configures Windows optimally for your hardware configuration - that's essentially what I want it to do.

Are you saying that if you don't re-install anything,  Windows will boot up as normal and reconfigure itself for the new hardware automatically?  I would prefer that.  

30 minutes ago, ErichB said:

The installation of the core Windows files using the Windows Media Creation Tool leaves everything related to apps and your docs alone.  The registry is not touched.  So you literally can continue as you did before.  It only reinstalled core Windows files.  I saw this on a Youtube video when I was having a number of issues before and it worked like a charm.  I could start-up P3D and use it as normal.  All i needed to do was update some drivers.  In this process,  it also looks at your hardware and configures Windows optimally for your hardware configuration - that's essentially what I want it to do.

Are you saying that if you don't re-install anything,  Windows will boot up as normal and reconfigure itself for the new hardware automatically?  I would prefer that.  

Thanks for your info there. I didn't know about that. I know about Windows Media Creation Tools but I have always thought it will do a complete reinstall there. 

Yes, I didn't reinstall anything, just plug and play. As I said I did have to buy new W10 key tho.

1 minute ago, TrentXWB said:

Thanks for your info there. I didn't know about that. I know about Windows Media Creation Tools but I have always thought it will do a complete reinstall there. 

Yeah, it gives you the option.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 10:31 PM, TrentXWB said:

Didn't have to reinstall W10.  Works like a charm.  Also added 2 x M2 3200mhz - one for Windows boot disk, one for P3D.    I'm still in awe as to how fast it is.  One of the most significant differences 

5 hours ago, ErichB said:

Didn't have to reinstall W10.  Works like a charm.  Also added 2 x M2 3200mhz - one for Windows boot disk, one for P3D.    I'm still in awe as to how fast it is.  One of the most significant differences 

Glad everything worked out. I was thinking of getting M2 but I was reading around and I get the conclusion that SSD and M2 is not a big difference, not like from HDD to SSD. What is your experience? Did you mean M2 of 3200Mb/s? coz I don't recall 3200Mhz.

I am thinking of upgrading my RAM. I am now at 2666Mhz at C15, quite a high latency 11.25ns. Looking to go down to 9.5ns or 10ns.

6 minutes ago, TrentXWB said:

Did you mean M2 of 3200Mb/s? coz I don't recall 3200Mhz.

Silly me.  Typo. Yup.  

Depends on the read/write speed of the M2 I guess.  It is a significant difference for me.  They are fast

39 minutes ago, TrentXWB said:

I am thinking of upgrading my RAM. I am now at 2666Mhz at C15, quite a high latency 11.25ns. Looking to go down to 9.5ns or 10ns.

What 3200 c14 looks like working with my 8086 at KSAN. 🙂

WTTMlTh.png

Bert! You out there? Notice the VRAM? 9GB's just after being dropped off at the heavy gate 22. 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty
  • Like 1

@FunknNasty Thanks!...  Do you have any performance comparison between different RAM speed, I know it is a lot to ask but was wondering how much performance gain I will get? Also what is your GPU

EDIT: maybe I am wrong but I don't see that you have C14 there, C17 instead, no?

Edited by TrentXWB

5 hours ago, TrentXWB said:

@FunknNasty Thanks!...  Do you have any performance comparison between different RAM speed, I know it is a lot to ask but was wondering how much performance gain I will get? Also what is your GPU

EDIT: maybe I am wrong but I don't see that you have C14 there, C17 instead, no?

Lat spring I spent a few hours playing with mem settings at LAX-24L, noon, fair skys and the PMDG 747:

2400 C10  27 FPS

3200 C14  30 FPS

4133 C17  33 FPS

The above tested at 5.0 ghz (all cores), 4.5 cache,  no avx offset

The guy in the below link breaks down the affects of mem speeds at a microscopic level ...imagine the difference if he measured 3200 vs 4133

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101819-DDR4-4400-vs-4133&highlight=4400+4133

DjangO has a generated a B-die list for us  ....I'd take the 3200 C14

And lastly ....My mems are w-a-y overclocked. The middle cpu-z graphic shows the memory sticks I'm using. I'm also showing the AIDA because a simple tweak made last night got me an extra 1/2 GB pe sec and another tick off the latency with no increase in voltage(s). Yeah, work in progress. 🙂

bczLrH9.png

Edited by FunknNasty
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks! That FPS gain and the price difference does not justify it IMO. But I am not sure how much gain I will get from my current RAM to 3200 C14 or 4000 C19.

BTW what is the benefit of B-die chip?

Edited by TrentXWB

I think you'll see a nice a little pop in performance going from 2666 to 3200 C14 ...especially if you fly something a PMDG or the other Airbus study level aircraft. I recommend it.

To be sure, I'm not recommending you go out and buy 4000 MHz memory.  While you will notice a difference going from 3200 to 4133 you'll probably have to go through more hassle and/or expense than it's worth. And there's no guarantee you'll ever get 4000+ with your mobo/cpu combo anyway.

B-DIE  is the fab for Samsung's latest memory chips. It's accepted by most as being superior to other industry offerings ...and is usually very overclockable. Google it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

I think you'll see a nice a little pop in performance going from 2666 to 3200 C14

I think he'll see exactly nothing in the way of any detectible difference whatsoever as it relates to flying in any flight simulator.  

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

11 hours ago, Noel said:

I think he'll see exactly nothing in the way of any detectible difference whatsoever as it relates to flying in any flight simulator.  

Well, I think my level of appreciation for P3D and the 3rd party apps I use is a little deeper than yours. 

If your hardware can do what's in the two graphics below then I'll sit down and refrain from reaching to those that might share the passion I have for P3d.

The two graphics taken just now ....surfs still strong, so you can still go out and see for yourself...From KLAX to KSFO; Active Sky (5 layer clouds); PMDG 747; FSDream Team KLAX; Flightbbeam KSFO; Orbx So-Cal and Nor-Cal .....let's see what you got Noel.

oXv1O80.png

Link below is the approach over the Dumbarton:

approach