Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
TrentXWB

I7 8700K v 9700K

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Noel said:

I think he'll see exactly nothing in the way of any detectible difference whatsoever as it relates to flying in any flight simulator.  

Oh what the heck ....maybe it's time to give a shout-out to the dudes and ladies behind the hardware I so much appreciate:

Intel ....8086 is old school good

EVGA ... the 6393 1080ti has performed beyond expectation ....would buy it again in a heart beat

Asus ... a big shout-out to the designers and engineers behind the z370 Apex. can't help but feel that this board was designed and engineered by hardware enthusiast/gamers for hardware enthusiast/gamers ...again, old school stuff.

..and the monitor I use taint bad either. 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty
monitor shout-out

    ROG Maximus X Apex Z370 -- 8086 @ 5.3 / NB 5.0 -- GSkill  @ 4133 c17-17-32~Cr1 1.42v  -- EVGA 1080Ti 6393 -- ROG PG279Q 1440P 150hz -- Corsair H100i V2 --Samsung EVO 850(s) -- Windows7 Pro 64 --Corsair 750X

Ken C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Well, I think my level of appreciation for P3D and the 3rd party apps I use is a little deeper than yours. 

If your hardware can do what's in the two graphics below then I'll sit down and refrain from reaching to those that might share the passion I have for P3d.

I think your level of appreciation for benchmarking fully exceeds my own and may well exceed your own 'passion for P3D',  but I don't think you appreciate P3D any more than I do my friend.  I've been at it for well over 20 years, built PC's plenty over the years, and know enough to know what matters in a sim that is nigh to impossible to even benchmark in any meaningful way that transcends specific scenarios.  In a double-blinded comparison I would bet $1,000 today, no make that $10,000 today, that there will be NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE to users who decided to throw out their 2666 to install 3200 in their DRAM modules.   Zero, zip.  Oh sure, there will be slightly faster memory benchmarks, but that WILL NOT TRANSLATE to any detectable difference by even you, double-blinded!  Your focus on benchmarking apps apparently is where your biggest passion lies, and when it starts to influence the buying decisions of people less obsessed w/ minuscule differences in total performance I thought I'd bring up another POV.  Others will decide what it means to them, but that's how I see it. 


Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz Noctua NH-D15S, 32Gb 3200mHz DDR4, NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz refresh

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noel said:

I think your level of appreciation for benchmarking fully exceeds my own and may well exceed your own 'passion for P3D',  but I don't think you appreciate P3D any more than I do my friend.  I've been at it for well over 20 years, built PC's plenty over the years, and know enough to know what matters in a sim that is nigh to impossible to even benchmark in any meaningful way that transcends specific scenarios.  In a double-blinded comparison I would bet $1,000 today, no make that $10,000 today, that there will be NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE to users who decided to throw out their 2666 to install 3200 in their DRAM modules.   Zero, zip.  Oh sure, there will be slightly faster memory benchmarks, but that WILL NOT TRANSLATE to any detectable difference by even you, double-blinded!  Your focus on benchmarking apps apparently is where your biggest passion lies, and when it starts to influence the buying decisions of people less obsessed w/ minuscule differences in total performance I thought I'd bring up another POV.  Others will decide what it means to them, but that's how I see it. 

Noel, not the frist time your in deep water ?

Edited by westman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noel said:

I think your level of appreciation for benchmarking fully exceeds my own and may well exceed your own 'passion for P3D',  but I don't think you appreciate P3D any more than I do my friend.  I've been at it for well over 20 years, built PC's plenty over the years, and know enough to know what matters in a sim that is nigh to impossible to even benchmark in any meaningful way that transcends specific scenarios.  In a double-blinded comparison I would bet $1,000 today, no make that $10,000 today, that there will be NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE to users who decided to throw out their 2666 to install 3200 in their DRAM modules.   Zero, zip.  Oh sure, there will be slightly faster memory benchmarks, but that WILL NOT TRANSLATE to any detectable difference by even you, double-blinded!  Your focus on benchmarking apps apparently is where your biggest passion lies, and when it starts to influence the buying decisions of people less obsessed w/ minuscule differences in total performance I thought I'd bring up another POV.  Others will decide what it means to them, but that's how I see it. 

Fair enough.

-Cheers

 

OBTW ......but my focus is actually on the little things ....you know, like how the needle on a steam gauge moves like I'd expect it to move in real life. Or maybe something as trivial as filling out an FMC and having the feed back response feel like the real thing    ....I won't even mention the bigger stuff like panning around in the cockpit without stutter.

Edited by FunknNasty
  • Like 1

    ROG Maximus X Apex Z370 -- 8086 @ 5.3 / NB 5.0 -- GSkill  @ 4133 c17-17-32~Cr1 1.42v  -- EVGA 1080Ti 6393 -- ROG PG279Q 1440P 150hz -- Corsair H100i V2 --Samsung EVO 850(s) -- Windows7 Pro 64 --Corsair 750X

Ken C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all... I hope I didn't cause any disgruntled here. I didn't mean for anyone to argue.

Does it make sense to go for 3200 C16 or should I go for C14? I am just weighing the price/performance gain.

Edited by TrentXWB

Hendrik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TrentXWB said:

Thanks to all... I hope I didn't cause any disgruntled here. I didn't mean for anyone to argue.

 

Anytime!  ....just another day at the AVSIM pub .....familiar faces enjoying one another. 🙂

All the best with your new build, Hendrick.

 

  • Like 1

    ROG Maximus X Apex Z370 -- 8086 @ 5.3 / NB 5.0 -- GSkill  @ 4133 c17-17-32~Cr1 1.42v  -- EVGA 1080Ti 6393 -- ROG PG279Q 1440P 150hz -- Corsair H100i V2 --Samsung EVO 850(s) -- Windows7 Pro 64 --Corsair 750X

Ken C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FunknNasty said:

Anytime!  ....just another day at the AVSIM pub .....familiar faces enjoying one another. 🙂

All the best with your new build, Hendrick.

 

Thanks! I got my 9700K a few weeks ago with Z370F strix but I am still waiting for FSL to drop their update to test it out. Just now thinking about the RAM. 3200 C14 or C16, price/ performance gain?


Hendrik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

get the c14 today ....worry about the price performance ratio next week. 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty
  • Like 1

    ROG Maximus X Apex Z370 -- 8086 @ 5.3 / NB 5.0 -- GSkill  @ 4133 c17-17-32~Cr1 1.42v  -- EVGA 1080Ti 6393 -- ROG PG279Q 1440P 150hz -- Corsair H100i V2 --Samsung EVO 850(s) -- Windows7 Pro 64 --Corsair 750X

Ken C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

get the c14 today ....worry about the price performance ratio next week. 🙂

Not next week but when wifey see the bank account which is real-time. 😀


Hendrik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrentXWB said:

Not next week but when wifey see the bank account which is real-time. 😀

then get the 3000 c14's   ..... LOL


    ROG Maximus X Apex Z370 -- 8086 @ 5.3 / NB 5.0 -- GSkill  @ 4133 c17-17-32~Cr1 1.42v  -- EVGA 1080Ti 6393 -- ROG PG279Q 1440P 150hz -- Corsair H100i V2 --Samsung EVO 850(s) -- Windows7 Pro 64 --Corsair 750X

Ken C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my 9700K tuned on the conservative side and it is surpassing all expectations.

This is rock solid stable and I'm already in the process of testing 5.2GHz while staying under 1.35 and below 80 Celsius.

Liquid cooled with single fan.

No delid or anything out of ordinary.

I upgraded from 8700K which was liquid cooled with Corsair H150i PRO and 5.0 was the only sold stable OC i was able to achieve while staying within 80 Celsius. 

**I use XTU with default BIOS settings. I run OC when I need it while under clocking it to 3.6 for everything else.

bLg5fbj.jpg

Edited by PaulGR

           Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PaulGR said:

I have my 9700K tuned on the conservative side and it is surpassing all expectations.

This is rock solid stable and I'm already in the process of testing 5.2GHz while staying under 1.35 and below 80 Celsius.

Liquid cooled with single fan.

No delid or anything out of ordinary.

I upgraded from 8700K which was liquid cooled with Corsair H150i PRO and 5.0 was the only sold stable OC i was able to achieve while staying within 80 Celsius. **I use XTU with default BIOS settings. I run OC when I need it while under clocking it to 3.6 for everything else.bLg5fbj.jpg

Looking good! WTG.


    ROG Maximus X Apex Z370 -- 8086 @ 5.3 / NB 5.0 -- GSkill  @ 4133 c17-17-32~Cr1 1.42v  -- EVGA 1080Ti 6393 -- ROG PG279Q 1440P 150hz -- Corsair H100i V2 --Samsung EVO 850(s) -- Windows7 Pro 64 --Corsair 750X

Ken C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 7:38 PM, fghdgdfdfgfgf said:

Well, lets stop guessing .... 🙂

The below graphic says the extra cores on the 9700 are useless is the captured scene. Furthermore, the graphic shows us that the nearly completed sfo to lax flight was pretty darn tough on the system ...but the humble 100i V2, with no help from the two sleeping stock case fans,  was able to keep things fairly cool -ambient 73F.

EYfm2wQ.png

 

Not throwing shade on the 9700 as I think the cpu is more than capable.

 

thats an image of a 8700k theres only 6 cores on that screenshot. i got a friend with a 9700k and P3D uses all cores on his

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 6:27 AM, mpw8679 said:

9700K hands down over the 8700K.  In complex scenery the 8 core processors will have better scenery loading.  I could easily saturate the cores of a 9600K in ORBX regions with complex airports.  I see no point going with a 6 core cpu.

yup and smoother since none of the cores will likely reach 100% 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oscarduran10 said:

yup and smoother since none of the cores will likely reach 100% 

I have best performance w/ HT enabled on an old hexacore--when it goes I will pick up I9-9900K and see if it remains true w/ 16 LPs.


Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz Noctua NH-D15S, 32Gb 3200mHz DDR4, NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames Vsync to 30Hz refresh

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    27%
    $6,985.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...