Shomron

Fsimstudios Cancun released!

Available on simmarket. Boy did they complete this big project in no time!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Let's just hope that they've done a decent job. If they have I'm tempted to get it, Cancun could be a big seller for them if it's been done to a good standard. 

Pity it's on simMarket. Any other reseller, because I refuse to buy from 'word-not-allowed' 3rd rate simMarket?

1 minute ago, vc10man said:

Pity it's on simMarket. Any other reseller, because I refuse to buy from 'word-not-allowed' 3rd rate simMarket?

I guess they're not your favourite Rick! 😊

1 minute ago, Rockliffe said:

I guess they're not your favourite Rick! 😊

Howard, how would you feel if, over the last half dozen years you had spent a small fortune with a re-seller, and when a developer comes out with an Upgrade to P3Dv4 for one of his products which you already have, say, FSX, and offers existing customers a discounted price, and you contact that particular  re-seller's Support asking if you qualify for that discount or how and when is it applied, and that re-seller's Support does not even have the mere courtesy to acknowledge your Support Ticket?

Now see why I detest them and will spend my money elsewhere. There's others.

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

Howard, how would you feel if, over the last half dozen years you had spent a small fortune with a re-seller, and when a developer comes out with an Upgrade to P3Dv4 for one of his products which you already have, say, FSX, and offers existing customers a discounted price, and you contact that particular  re-seller's Support asking if you qualify for that discount or how and when is it applied, and that re-seller's Support does not even have the mere courtesy to acknowledge your Support Ticket?

Now see why I detest them and will spend my money elsewhere. There's others.

That's perfectly understandable Rick. I have the same contempt for a certain ATC developer that doesn't answer emails and provides an extremely poor support system. Pleased to hear you vote with your feet though, more people should follow suit.

Edited by Rockliffe

Been waiting for this for a long time. I usually don't mess with FS before work, but I'm buying right now. There are/were two airports that I desperately need. DTW, because it is my home airport and CUN, because we have been going there 1-2 times/year for the past 15 years.

SSJ - I'm counting on you. Now that we have a new Cancun, pigs must be flying so it seems like the perfect time for you to release DTW. Oh, and it is also my birthday this week if you need another reason😃.

Thank you FSimstudious for doing this one. Good price as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, duckbilled said:

SSJ - I'm counting on you.

Same here. Been checking their forums about every second day for some time now since their last word was that it's in beta testing (?). Since then there were no news though and because of the time this one has been in development I'm hoping they are still working on it. After all, it's freeware despite its payware quality (judging by the preview shots) and you hope they haven't succumbed to this huge project. Fingers crossed.

DTW isnt coming anytime soon fellas, sorry to tell ya. 

Looks Great!

Although I`m pretty sure the Terminal 2 building is kinda brown-ish, not white.

Other than that looks pretty good!

They really whipped this one out quickly and were consistently providing updates on FB too. They're also talking about updates to it soon, mentioned something about DL and photoreal of the city. I'm surely getting this, it's better than a stick in the eye and Cancun was needed. 

1 hour ago, Drumcode said:

They really whipped this one out quickly and were consistently providing updates on FB too. They're also talking about updates to it soon, mentioned something about DL and photoreal of the city. I'm surely getting this, it's better than a stick in the eye and Cancun was needed. 

The taxiway bridge to 12L will also be included in the update. Right now AI taxi under the bridge. Aside from that, I like it and it definitely fills the gap nicely at a good price. I also agree that they pushed this one our really fast, and I think it shows that there is room for developers like this - decent looking airports with short development times AND high end developers that pick up every detail, but charge more and take longer to develop.

• Upvote 1

Just FYI, this has been in development for almost a year.

Shimmering is an issue everywhere in P3D but it seems especially bad in this scenery, especially along the taxi lines. This is from 2560x1440 at 8x MSAA. Gnarly to look at.

WxLYdbz.jpg

Anyone else getting these weird effects when viewing this scenery from a distance or with reduced visibility? Using Active Sky.

46074973865_23ce02d38b_b.jpgCapture by Ben, on Flickr

46936917922_ebaf944fff_b.jpgCapture.1PNG by Ben, on Flickr

Ben

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you for all your support. We are happy to bring Cancun to this community, it was much needed.

I will quickly go over the issues that were mentioned on the thread:

• Regarding to the comment about the bridge on Taxiway D and AI, this is not possible to fix. AI doesn't detect platforms, so it will just go through the bridge while user aircraft will go over. That's hard-coded on P3D. The only workaround that I see for this issue is to restrict AI Aircrafts from crossing the bridge by closing 30R-12L at least for AI use. I would not like to do this. Still thinking about a different solution.
  • Shimmering on taxi lines, I'll check that out, I'm pretty sure is related to the alpha map of the texture. The taxi lines are slightly transparent and with "cracks" to make them look old and worn out. 
  • The black outlines around the objects are due to baked ambient occlusion on the ground for realism. The transparency blending settings will be modified to solve this issue. Update 1.1 will fix that.

I think it's unfair to compare our work to, let's say, ORBX or Flightbeam. Those are teams of a bunch of 3D and texture artist working full time. That's why their products are significantly more expensive, but the quality is significantly greater. They have access to de airport, we can't afford to travel or get the permits to visit every centimeter of the airport. As duckbilled said, we do not compete on the same "league" as them. We are two full-time engineering students, working part-time on this, both for passion and to pay tuition. Our business plan is different, focusing on middle-sized Latin American and Canadian airports, the ones that no big development team wants to develop because they're not profitable enough. Lots of hours and thousands of dollars are invested in a project like this to make less than minimum wage. It's mostly about passion.

-Gabriel, FSimStudios.

Edited by FSimStudios
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 15

7 hours ago, FSimStudios said:

-Gabriel, FSimStudios.

I sounded critical in my post but to be clear, this is an amazing scenery and I have zero regrets about my purchase. I’m excited more of your work.

7 hours ago, FSimStudios said:

-Gabriel, FSimStudios.

Kudos to your statement, I will always back passion and I highly regard the desire to keep improving a scenery. I have Tocumen which I think is excellent and I will add this one soon. Just keep going!

8 hours ago, FSimStudios said:

I think it's unfair to compare our work to, let's say, ORBX or Flightbeam. Those are teams of a bunch of 3D and texture artist working full time. That's why their products are significantly more expensive, but the quality is significantly greater. They have access to de airport, we can't afford to travel or get the permits to visit every centimeter of the airport. As duckbilled said, we do not compete on the same "league" as them. We are two full-time engineering students, working part-time on this, both for passion and to pay tuition. Our business plan is different, focusing on middle-sized Latin American and Canadian airports, the ones that no big development team wants to develop because they're not profitable enough. Lots of hours and thousands of dollars are invested in a project like this to make less than minimum wage. It's mostly about passion.

-Gabriel, FSimStudios.

Mad respect from me for coming out and saying it like it is. With the speed that this was being developed and issues reported from the time of the release I already formed a different opinion about you guys, which I'll now keep to myself. Up until last night I was holding back on buying it, but now I will surely. Thanks Gabriel.

Edited by Drumcode

10 hours ago, FSimStudios said:

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you for all your support. We are happy to bring Cancun to this community, it was much needed.

I will quickly go over the issues that were mentioned on the thread:

• Regarding to the comment about the bridge on Taxiway D and AI, this is not possible to fix. AI doesn't detect platforms, so it will just go through the bridge while user aircraft will go over. That's hard-coded on P3D. The only workaround that I see for this issue is to restrict AI Aircrafts from crossing the bridge by closing 30R-12L at least for AI use. I would not like to do this. Still thinking about a different solution.
  • Shimmering on taxi lines, I'll check that out, I'm pretty sure is related to the alpha map of the texture. The taxi lines are slightly transparent and with "cracks" to make them look old and worn out. 
  • The black outlines around the objects are due to baked ambient occlusion on the ground for realism. The transparency blending settings will be modified to solve this issue. Update 1.1 will fix that.

-Gabriel, FSimStudios.

I emailed my issue with the black boxes last night and received a reply within minutes that you had identified the cause of it and would fix it asap. Great customer service, even more impressive now knowing the scope of your operation.

Ben 

I had some questions while the scenery was in development and was answered very quickly. Their customer service alone is in its league of their own. The scenery is very nice! Picked it up the morning after release and I love it! Thank you Gabriel for taking on this scenery, having a fair price, and great customer service! You’ve gained a new customer!! 

12 hours ago, FSimStudios said:

-Gabriel, FSimStudios.

I'll definitely be buying this then.  Good for you guys.  I know how hard it is to find photos now, with panaramio gone from Google Earth...

I need a MMUN anyway.   That's the first foreign airport I flew into, in 1990.  It only had one runway back then.

MMUN - Much needed airport for us who fly around or to the Caribbean

It might have some flaws, but I know FSimStudios will keep updating it.

Just bought it!
Cant wait to install it.

I'm actually flying into MMUN this Saturday so I'll be purchasing tonight so I can recreate my flights. So glad to finally have a quality scenery for this airport

Thanks!