Sign in to follow this  
rictus

monitor field of view

Gents

something I've always struggled to get 'right' - well, I accept it can't be made really right without a huge field of view projection and even then is not strictly 'right' - but...

I now have the majority of my PA28 panel built. Currently, until I can pick up some bigger screens, I have three 17" LCD's in horizontal span providing a nice wide forward view, just above the glareshield of the panel. The problem is, the view by nature seems to be permanently oriented as if looking to the right (assumedly to simulate being sat on the left seat for better eyepoint). If I position the central column with the compass dead on in the middle of the display, the view is skewed from where I'm sat to the left of it. I.E. the centreline doesn't run 'under' my side of the panel, down 'behind' the attitude indicator and HSI so to speak, as if passing below me. It always seems to be at an odd angle forcing me to sort of always kink my head over to fly looking through the middle screen rather than sitting naturally over in the left seat and looking straight over the panel. 

I appreciate there may be no perfect way to cure this with the current setup. I did use VR which sorts this out amazingly but the low res and the lack of physical stuff like my kneeboard put me off (and to some extent missing out on all the hard work put into building the panel!) 

At some point I'll be getting some big TVs for side views (like on the glideslope), but this will still leave me with the weird forward view issue. Any thoughts? I'm running XPlane 11, current build.

Thanks

Rich 

No replies sorry can.t help either but check out Almost Aviation You Tube channel, Mark has some good tutorials on 3 monitor setups.

Good Luck

Brian

The quick answer, folks, is to build a collimated display! Sadly the reality of this is a LOT more complicated to get right (although the principle is quite straightforward...)

It's a shame - using VR I found eyeballing landings and the like second nature due to the stereoscopic view... But I don't get on with the VR and miss my cockpit panel!