Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

High End System For X-Plane Recommendations

I am considering building a high end system for X-Plane 11.  Any recommendations out there?

What have you got at the moment?

For non-VR a GTX 1070 should be fine (has 8GB VRam on it). For VR, I would probably recommend a GTX1080Ti or some of the RTX cards that are coming out. However, there seems to be issues with the 2080's 

16GB RAM seems to be optimal.

9600k is the preferred CPU right now. 

This might help https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/46908-a-guide-to-building-the-optimal-machine-for-x-plane/

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

X plane is a lot like p3d.  You want a CPU with a high clock speed...faster clock over more cores is preferred.  Although XP does seem to work a little better with multiple threads.  A strong video card is important.  Video ram is important 8GB minimum I'd say.  Finally where in p3d 8GB ram is the minimum I'd say get at least 16 if you're planning on using the HD mesh or 32GB if using UHD mesh for the PNW/Western US regions.

What resolution monitor will you be using?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

22 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

X plane is a lot like p3d.  You want a CPU with a high clock speed...faster clock over more cores is preferred.  Although XP does seem to work a little better with multiple threads.  A strong video card is important.  Video ram is important 8GB minimum I'd say.  Finally where in p3d 8GB ram is the minimum I'd say get at least 16 if you're planning on using the HD mesh or 32GB if using UHD mesh for the PNW/Western US regions.

What resolution monitor will you be using?

I think more cores is the future! "and the obvious thing to do to make the system faster is to be more multi-core (since the machine has 16 cores). And that means: focus on Vulkan."

On my Ryzen system with a 1080 and a 4K monitor, my fps is between 30-50 on high settings! 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

will get my hands on a 9980xe which is able to run 5.1 ghz all core.

but cheap is something different cpu only 2300 EUR 

but then i have the best of both worlds high core count, lot of cache and high clocks.

but i'm not sure if i should by a radeon 7 when they are aviable everywhere.  because of the 16 gb hbm.

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

What do you guys think of the i7 8700 Six Core LGA 1151 3.2 GHz with a 1080ti card for X plane i am running VR with a 1070 and a i7 6700 4 GHZ