Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

Do I bite the bullet and leave Win7 for 10?

Well Mike, pro or not, if I recall correctly, you did provide software solutions in a professional environment - so that's good enough for me.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

13 hours ago, SteveW said:

Well Mike, pro or not, if I recall correctly, you did provide software solutions in a professional environment - so that's good enough for me.

Coming from you, Steve, that’s quite a compliment. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Best regards,

Mike

I'm holding on to my DOS 5.2 system !!

No, seriously W10 is just great. People who don't like it make up all sorts of reasons why they don't like it. Thats ok, then just stay on W7 and stop complaining or switch to OIS or Linux

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

2 hours ago, willy647 said:

People who don't like it make up all sorts of reasons why they don't like it.

Hi Willy,

With respect, such comments are unnecessary and really a touch condescending. Are we complaining? I don’t think so. What is irritating is the constant barrage of implied criticism from those who have made the switch and are finding it difficult to understand why some of us choose to preserve the status quo. I have both Win7 and Win10 installed on one rig and feel I am in the position of being able to speak with some authority about this. 

Windows 10 is okay and, whether we like it or not, will become the operating system of choice. No argument there. Right now, however, for many of us it offers very little above that which is already available in Windows 7. Therefore it makes little sense to switch prematurely with all the attendant costs in time and needless hassle. I have decided on a planned and more leisurely approach. My rig allows for that so it made perfect sense to exploit that capability.

Referring again to your statement. Equally it could be argued that somehow your belief system has conferred a sense of misplaced superiority over those who have made a judgement to stick meantime with an operating system that remains current, fast, stable, reliable and fulfills all our needs. What’s the problem? I respect your right to have made the switch, that’s your choice and doubtless you had your reasons. Why not do the same for us?

The original poster was seeking opinion and advice about whether to make the change. I responded with my thoughts as did you and others. Why not just leave it at that and leave the OP to make up his own mind.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

I was one of those W7 Pro stalwarts...until yesterday. Reading this thread made me wander round the internet until I came upon 'W10 upgrade from W7 FREE' So I followed my nose and sure enough the upgrade WAS free. "I'll have some of that" I said. Downloaded MediaCreation Tool from MS bunged it on a USB stick and hit the exe. A couple of minor hiccups with driver updates but all in all a painless experience. I HAVE spent all yesterday and a good part of today getting it to look like W7 (Classic Shell, brilliant!) What was a surprise and the clincher, was that it upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro. 👍

A happy bunny. I even got the W7 Solitaire back!

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hi Ron,

Dunking biscuits (especially of the ginger variety) can be a very pleasurable experience until, that is, the quality of that dunk leads to disappointment.

Regards,

Mike 😉

14 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ron,

Dunking biscuits (especially of the ginger variety) can be a very pleasurable experience until, that is, the quality of that dunk leads to disappointment.

Regards,

Mike 😉

Profound. :unsure: I think.

So after a couple of pages of discussion, did OFB bite the bullet or has he run away screaming?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

So I followed my nose and sure enough the upgrade WAS free. "I'll have some of that"

Youngster, one of these days you will learn that nothing in this world is free.......:biggrin:

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

19 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Youngster, one of these days you will learn that nothing in this world is free.......:biggrin:

Oh, you are Soo right! Thanks for the 'youngster'. :biggrin:

• Like 1

The pro version of Win10 comes with Sandbox, a virtual machine that can be used to, for example, do work on the net or unzip packages, that kind of thing, in a safe environment. The sandbox eliminates the possibility of becoming infected by malware. Malware which, incidentally, finds Win7 with its pants down, whereas Win10 is wearing braces.

Edited by SteveW

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

The pro version of Win10 comes with Sandbox, a virtual machine that can be used to, for example, do work on the net or unzip packages, that kind of thing, in a safe environment. The sandbox eliminates the possibility of becoming infected by malware. Malware which, incidentally, finds Win7 with its pants down, whereas Win10 is wearing braces.

Ah, hah, got you there, Steve. Been using Sandboxie with Windows 7 for several years now! Certainly, this facility is not built into Win7, but then, arguably, I had to pay £200 to achieve the same capability in Win10.

Regards,

Mike 😀

26 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Ah, hah, got you there, Steve. Been using Sandboxie with Windows 7 for several years now! Certainly, this facility is not built into Win7, but then, arguably, I had to pay £200 to achieve the same capability in Win10.

Regards,

Mike 😀

You only got it because of Win10 developments and the continued support of Win7. That's not having me in the slightest. 😎

..it's basically VMWare been around a long time...

38 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

I had to pay £200 to achieve the same capability in Win10.

I think you are unnecessarily worried about whether it's right or wrong to stick with Win7 and whether you think others think poorly of sticking with it. Don't be. I've got two active Win7 boxes here and various VMs, even Win95 around somewhere or other.... It is neither right nor wrong. Nor is it better or worse because Win7 accepts new software packages, it was always designed that way, as Win10 accepts old software just the same. £200 - what did you have to buy? You mean you paid for Win10 when you purchased the new PC? That's not strictly the same thing as a copy of virtual machine sw.