OldFlyboy

Do I bite the bullet and leave Win7 for 10?

Hi Ron,

Dunking biscuits (especially of the ginger variety) can be a very pleasurable experience until, that is, the quality of that dunk leads to disappointment.

Regards,

Mike 😉

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

14 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Ron,

Dunking biscuits (especially of the ginger variety) can be a very pleasurable experience until, that is, the quality of that dunk leads to disappointment.

Regards,

Mike 😉

Profound. :unsure: I think.

So after a couple of pages of discussion, did OFB bite the bullet or has he run away screaming?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

So I followed my nose and sure enough the upgrade WAS free. "I'll have some of that"

Youngster, one of these days you will learn that nothing in this world is free.......:biggrin:

19 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Youngster, one of these days you will learn that nothing in this world is free.......:biggrin:

Oh, you are Soo right! Thanks for the 'youngster'. :biggrin:

• Like 1

The pro version of Win10 comes with Sandbox, a virtual machine that can be used to, for example, do work on the net or unzip packages, that kind of thing, in a safe environment. The sandbox eliminates the possibility of becoming infected by malware. Malware which, incidentally, finds Win7 with its pants down, whereas Win10 is wearing braces.

Edited by SteveW

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

The pro version of Win10 comes with Sandbox, a virtual machine that can be used to, for example, do work on the net or unzip packages, that kind of thing, in a safe environment. The sandbox eliminates the possibility of becoming infected by malware. Malware which, incidentally, finds Win7 with its pants down, whereas Win10 is wearing braces.

Ah, hah, got you there, Steve. Been using Sandboxie with Windows 7 for several years now! Certainly, this facility is not built into Win7, but then, arguably, I had to pay £200 to achieve the same capability in Win10.

Regards,

Mike 😀

26 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Ah, hah, got you there, Steve. Been using Sandboxie with Windows 7 for several years now! Certainly, this facility is not built into Win7, but then, arguably, I had to pay £200 to achieve the same capability in Win10.

Regards,

Mike 😀

You only got it because of Win10 developments and the continued support of Win7. That's not having me in the slightest. 😎

38 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

I had to pay £200 to achieve the same capability in Win10.

I think you are unnecessarily worried about whether it's right or wrong to stick with Win7 and whether you think others think poorly of sticking with it. Don't be. I've got two active Win7 boxes here and various VMs, even Win95 around somewhere or other.... It is neither right nor wrong. Nor is it better or worse because Win7 accepts new software packages, it was always designed that way, as Win10 accepts old software just the same. £200 - what did you have to buy? You mean you paid for Win10 when you purchased the new PC? That's not strictly the same thing as a copy of virtual machine sw.

38 minutes ago, SteveW said:

£200 - what did you have to buy? You mean you paid for Win10 when you purchased the new PC? That's not strictly the same thing as a copy of virtual machine sw.

Never purchased a desktop PC. I’ve always purchased the relevant bits and jigsaw them all together in some sort of logical order with a few nuts, bolts, sticking plaster, wing and a prayer...lol Seems to work!

As I recall, when I installed Win10 Pro I decided to press ahead and activate it. This resulted in me being transported to the Windows Shop where I made the purchase. That hurt! Once completed the activation process proceeded online. I never received a licence or product key as such so I’m assuming Microsoft keep a record of legit owners of their product and, if the need should ever arise, will reactivate Win10 automatically when requested by said owners.

Mike