Sign in to follow this  
blackbird7

Recommendations for first airliner in P3D v4?

I think you are getting incredibly bad advise from most of the posters.  You say you are a beginner with respect to airliners and everyone suggests the most complex models with a high learning curve.  Obviously, the goal is to frustrate and confuse you so you never touch an airliner again.

I would suggest going for simple models that are easy to learn and fly.  The god news is that many of these models are freeware, and others are relatively inexpensive.  If you have a copy of FSX, you simply might want to copy the Boeing 737 and the CRJ 700 from FSX.  (I have not tried it so cannot guarantee compatibility.)  Navigation in the default planes and should be familiar to you.

Another possibility are the aircraft from VirtualCol.  https://www.virtualcol.com/products.php?kcmdlnk=productoinfo&id_prod=77&idmenu=2#  These are all relatively simple and inexpensive models which can be a lot of fun to fly.  You might also look at the F-Lite models from Just Flight.  They have a number of Airbusses and Boeings, as wells as a basic MD80..https://www.justflight.com/category/f-lite  You don't have a complex FMC to deal with.  See a review of the VirtualCol CRJ here:  

Although primarily limited to FSX, but promised for Prepar3d, the Quality Wings 757 is a nice aircraft to learn with.  http://www.qualitywingssim.com/v.2.0.1.8/Boeing-757.php

Once you are comfortable with some of these simple models, you can move onto something more challenging.  Personally, I had a lot of fun with the default CRJ 700, Airbus 320, Boeing 737 and 747 which came with FSX.  I spent many hours with them.  You can always add complexity and expense.  But right now you might not want to shell out hundreds of dollars for an overly complex model which might only frustrate you.  The advantage of some of these more basic models is they don't cost much (and in many cases are free) so you don't stand to lose much.

Edited by tjstreak
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't forget Chuck's Guides that will make the process a tad better.

• Upvote 2

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, Mace said:

If you are just learning them...I'd say Aerosoft Airbus, with its co-pilot and checklist feature turned on.  This will really help you learn, and reduce your workload so that you can concentrate on other aspects of flying the aircraft and operating its systems.

Cant recommend the Aerosoft Airbus high enough for exactly this reason

Whilst I've got the PMDG 737 as well I've not really strayed from the Airbus of late simply because of the Checklist feature which is helping me learn the procedures etc. Once mastered I'll probably then get the FSLabs Airbus as have read its a lot more realistic with more features than the Aerosoft version

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tjstreak said:

Another possibility are the aircraft from VirtualCol.  https://www.virtualcol.com/products.php?kcmdlnk=productoinfo&id_prod=77&idmenu=2#  These are all relatively simple and inexpensive models which can be a lot of fun to fly.  You might also look at the F-Lite models from Just Flight.  They have a number of Airbusses and Boeings, as wells as a basic MD80..https://www.justflight.com/category/f-lite  You don't have a complex FMC to deal with. 

I agree that VirualCol planes are easy to fly due to reduced complexity, but I could never seriously advertise them. The 3D models are ugly like hell, it is not even on par with freeware available. And, as you said, the systems are as basic as in any default plane. Spending money for VirtualCol planes is simply a waste of money, even if they are pretty cheap. I bought the Dash Series as well as the E-Jets and never fly them anymore, it is just not fun to sit in virtual cockpit that looks like already being outdated for FS9 and external models of the same sub level quality.

If you want easy planes that are at least good looking, go for Carenado or, as you mentioned, the F-Lite models from Justsim. But be aware about P3Dv4.x compatibility...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

3 hours ago, tjstreak said:

I think you are getting incredibly bad advise from most of the posters.  You say you are a beginner with respect to airliners and everyone suggests the most complex models with a high learning curve.  Obviously, the goal is to frustrate and confuse you so you never touch an airliner again.

Really!

Well, that "bad advice" comes from people that have been around for years flying these aircraft.  Saying "Obviously, the goal is to frustrate and confuse you so you never touch an airliner again." What a ridiculous thing to say. lol, it's shameful and very disrespectful.

If you want to give your ideas to what is in your opinion a good place to start, do so, but don't try ridiculing others that have countless years of experience and are offering there advice and knowledge to the OP.

-------------------------

My advice blackbird7 is to follow the advice you have been giving from very informed members of these forums. 

The Q400 is fantastic aircraft if......if you like prop aircraft. If you do go for it. If you want a jet airliner. Then I to would suggest the PMDG NG. Youtube is full of tutorials on the aircraft and anything you need to learn is there. It also comes with a walkthrough tutorial flight from PMDG. Yes, it's a learning curve but all the help you need is there and it's very rewarding to learn. where you go from there is a different topic.

So it's a big jump and it might feel overwhelming, but just learn a bit at a time. 

I suggest you start whats called Cold & Dark (the aircraft has everything turned off) Follow videos on how to power it up and work through one step at a time. Once you're happy with powering up. Set the starting state so the aircraft starts on ground power or on its APU. Then move on to learning the FMC. Then to the point of engine start. Sometimes it's better to just take one step at a time and feel comfy with each stage.

Just enjoy the journey because we have all done that journey and enjoyed it. Have fun and fly what appeals to you the most. Just ask whatever questions you like, people here will help, well not all ^^.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Upvote 6

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

You may wish to consider things other than the type and complexity of the aircraft.

1) Do they have a support forum?

2) Can you access all parts of the forums and evaluate their response to issues without purchasing?

3) If you can access the forums then how rapidly do they respond to bugs and agree to fix?

4) Is there a requirement to use your real name as your forum name and does this concern you?

5) Do they have a support contact and how quick is the response?

6) Do pilot that actually fly the aircraft visit the forums to give suggestions and report bugs?

7) Are there videos on you tube you can use to help you?

8 What documenation is provided?

9) Are liveries free or paid for?

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

The PMDG 737 is great, but it's also a bit long in the tooth......

I think that it is an excellent choice for a "first airliner" in P3D v4, and I would think that it is also easier to fly than the Q400. It may well date back to 2011, but it sure does not look or feel like that.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 hours ago, tjstreak said:

Although primarily limited to FSX, but promised for Prepar3d, the Quality Wings 757 is a nice aircraft to learn with.  http://www.qualitywingssim.com/v.2.0.1.8/Boeing-757.php

Once it's ported over to P3D v4.4., which apparently won't be too long now according to one of the devs I have been communicating with, I would think that the QW757 would be a decent choice for a first airliner for a beginner.

If no one has already mentioned the QW Bae 146/RJ series, that might be one to consider as well.

The FSLabs A320/A319 is my current favourite airliner.  Though it’s complex in what it simulates, for day to day operations the A320 family is one of the easiest aircraft to pilot IMHO due to high levels of automation.  The most complicated thing about it is programming the MCDU...that becomes second nature with a bit of experience.

The great thing about it is once you’re comfortable with it, you can get into the increased complexity of abnormal operations, failures etc...it really is what you want out of it.

The majestic Q400 is excellent as well, but it’s more of a handful in the air (and trying to get it back on the ground! - “Crash 8”).  It requires frequent trimming and is overall a more manual aircraft.  Don’t let that turn you off though...I just think it would actually be more difficult as a first airliner than some of the jets out there.

I have all PMDG jets and they are great too.

Edited by regis9
  • Upvote 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

54 minutes ago, regis9 said:

The FSLabs A320/A319 is my current favourite airliner.  Though it’s complex in what it simulates, for day to day operations the A320 family is one of the easiest aircraft to pilot IMHO due to high levels of automation.  The most complicated thing about it is programming the MCDU...that becomes second nature with a bit of experience.

The great thing about it is once you’re comfortable with it, you can get into the increased complexity of abnormal operations, failures etc...it really is what you want out of it.

The majestic Q400 is excellent as well, but it’s more of a handful in the air (and trying to get it back on the ground! - “Crash 8”).  It requires frequent trimming and is overall a more manual aircraft.  Don’t let that turn you off though...I just think it would actually be more difficult as a first airliner than some of the jets out there.

I have all PMDG jets and they are great too.

Totally agree with you, Dave.

I think the PMDG 777 is the most automated aircraft myself. The NG is so nice because it has far less automation. It's just a classic, love it. Like you, my favourite airline in my hanger is the FSL A319/A320, I think its the most immersive aircraft we can buy, that really you have to own and fly to fully understand. The next update is going to bring yet another layer, raising it even further.

1 hour ago, SunDevil56 said:

Once it's ported over to P3D v4.4., which apparently won't be too long now according to one of the devs I have been communicating with, I would think that the QW757 would be a decent choice for a first airliner for a beginner.

If no one has already mentioned the QW Bae 146/RJ series, that might be one to consider as well.

It will be interesting to see how it is versus the CS 75, I love the 75 but still not got one. Look forward to hearing feedback on the QW 75

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

8 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Look forward to hearing feedback on the QW 75

I find it to be fantastic. I've put away the P 737.

10 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

It will be interesting to see how it is versus the CS 75, I love the 75 but still not got one. Look forward to hearing feedback on the QW 75

It's going to be a straight port over to P3D v4.4, so undoubtedly it doesn't have the systems depth and complexity that the CS757 has, but what it does have going for it (imho) is a decent VC and external models, plus a ton of free liveries (close to 200 I believe, including some in HD) and it includes both Pratt and Rolls Royce engine versions and all series versions, ie. 200, 300, and freighter, plus it comes with a livery manager that makes installing and uninstalling repaints a breeze. It also has an option in the livery manager for "retro" or  "modern" panel versions. I've been using this in FSX for quite some time, and though I rarely fly FSX these days, the QW 757 is still one of my favorites, and the price is supposed to be very reasonable, so adding it to my stable of aircraft in P3D v4.4 will be an easy decision.

PMDG - 737-800/900 (-700/-600 variant is a DLC)

Aerosoft - Airbus A320/A321 or Airbus A319/A318

7 hours ago, tjstreak said:

I would suggest going for simple models that are easy to learn and fly.  The god news is that many of these models are freeware, and others are relatively inexpensive.  If you have a copy of FSX, you simply might want to copy the Boeing 737 and the CRJ 700 from FSX.  (I have not tried it so cannot guarantee compatibility.)  Navigation in the default planes and should be familiar to you.

Another possibility are the aircraft from VirtualCol.  https://www.virtualcol.com/products.php?kcmdlnk=productoinfo&id_prod=77&idmenu=2#  These are all relatively simple and inexpensive models which can be a lot of fun to fly.  You might also look at the F-Lite models from Just Flight.  They have a number of Airbusses and Boeings, as wells as a basic MD80..https://www.justflight.com/category/f-lite  You don't have a complex FMC to deal with.  See a review of the VirtualCol CRJ here:  

Once you are comfortable with some of these simple models, you can move onto something more challenging.  Personally, I had a lot of fun with the default CRJ 700, Airbus 320, Boeing 737 and 747 which came with FSX.  I spent many hours with them.  You can always add complexity and expense.  But right now you might not want to shell out hundreds of dollars for an overly complex model which might only frustrate you.  The advantage of some of these more basic models is they don't cost much (and in many cases are free) so you don't stand to lose much.

I’m glad to see some diversity of ideas. It offers the OP a different perspective that, at a minimum, gives him some more to think about, and hopefully will help him arrive at the decision that’s right for him. So kudos!

However... (LOL) I would advise against trying to port over some generic aircraft from FSX into P3D.  You think that learning a complex aircraft will be frustrating, but porting over a bunch of 32bit aircraft into a 64bit sim won’t be?

Additionally, I started off buying simple A/C, and then moving to more complex/expensive aircraft.  The simple ones end up collecting dust.  You will quickly outgrow what the airplane can do, and want more.  So just buy the quality product first.

Furthermore, you don’t have to learn everything all at once.  Move at your own pace.  We’re in this hobby because we like to understand how these complex machines work.  So enjoy the process of figuring out all those systems without the stress of deadlines or actual performance.

I recommend the PMDG 737. I have the Aerosoft Airbusses, and the Majestic Dash-8. The 737 is the only one I’m flying now, because it’s got plenty of things for me to learn about it still.

Edited by _Gladius_