Sign in to follow this  
enrico10999

How works VR in P3D V4.4 for you ?

Hi, 

I am "addicted" to flight simulation since 10 years beginning with FSX and the PMDG Aircrafts 737,777,747 , more and more Airports Scenerys and Weather engines etc.

In the beginning I was playing it on a MacPro 2008 with Windows 7 (Via Bootcamp) but three years ago a got a Sim PC (I7 6700 and GTX 970).

Last week I did a update on the graphic card to the RTX 2080, because the 1080ti was not available any more and the 2080ti to expensive.

Now my system is running stable on 30 fps in 1920 x 1200 with the frame limiter of the Nvidia Inspector, it drops only in EDDF to 25 fps and EGLL to 20 fps,

it would be possible to do a processor update for 340 Euro to an I7 8700 with 6 cores, if I keep my mainboard...

Yesterday I was at a friends place and tried his HTC Vive Pro and was surprised by the improvements in general sharpness but I had also

the impressions of some "ghosting" (I thing it is caused bei the lenses).

The big question is, should I get the HTC Vive Pro???

It cost in Germany 1399 Euro? Is it worth it for me ?

Normally I do my flights with a 737 or 777 /747 via a 24 '' Monitor and on a second computer (Laptop) I have PFPX for flight planing,

the Avilasoft EFB (Electronic Flight Bag)  and the Navigraph Charts for the Arrival Airport, sometimes ProATC changes the Arrival Runway,

than I have to check the charts...

On the iPad I have the Remote server with possibility to operate the FMC, what is very practical...

How it will be when I use the VR Device, like the HTC Vive Pro? 

How is the operation of the knobs and switches inside the VR World, how works the programming of the FMC, 

are you using the mouse, leap motion or the Vive /Rift Controllers?

Can you read the small signs in the displays?

Are you doing all the flight planing and  preparation before you enter then the VR World? 

It there a chance to open the Flightplans, Charts and a EFB inside the VR World?

I saw some YT Videos, that there is Flyinside and native P3D VR, with different features to open charts etc.

I would like to hear your experiences. Do you switch between VR Headset and Monitor in flight, or do you keep the Headset on for 2 hours? 

I could imagine that it is fun with the VR Headset, flying around with a helicopter ore a small plane in the mountains,

but how it feels in a big Arline on a long flight ...?

Greetings Erik

Edited by enrico10999

Sorry, I cannot help. But I'm also considering to invest in a VR system in near future. Hope we can get some answers to your questions.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Don't expect to have much success with airliners in VR. They are much too demanding to provide a good experience. Also the VR support in P3D is not great when it comes to controls. I believe xplane 11 and aerofly fs2 are miles ahead with support.

At this point I limit my VR flying to GA aircraft.

I can answer a couple of your questions. 

I had the first htc vive and I liked it a lot but the instruments were hard to read, the resolution just not there. But the experience was owsom.

Then I bought the htc viv pro and now I can read the instruments in pmdg planes very well.

Now the way I set  up I do all preflight on monitor the when I get ready to taxi out I put the headset on taxi out and take off. Then I hand flight the plane to transition lvl put it on autopilot. Some times I take headset off or leave it on till cruise lvl.

The if i see some cool scenery i put it back on other wise I wait until I get to transition lvl then put it back on and hand fly the rest of the way in.

Ps If you were glasses the vive pro is the only way to go.

With pmdg planes and the vive pro I get very acceptable performance.

Regards ted kiser 

Edited by frieone
Added something

I can back up Ted's advice.  I fly the PMDG 737ngx, using the Vive Pro with no problems in P3D4.  I do use Flyinside, and can bring documents into the flightdeck from my desktop.

I have an overclocked 8700k and a 1080ti.

Good Luick, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

You have to turn level of detail radius way down and autogen draw distance way down. Turn Autogen down to sparse and get scenery complexity up to dense if you can. standard autogen is not as important in VR because the image is much softer than a monitor for distance objects. You'd hardly be able to tell the difference between a building on terrain texture and an autogen building in the distance. Generally display setting that you might find unacceptable on a monitor look pretty good in VR. You do need lots of AA though. I am using a Samsung Odyssey+. My system is a i7 4770K at 4.8ghz and a 1080ti. I often fly the NGX in VR and can maintain at lest 30fps on approach into complex addon airports. It very realistic but you have to turn those CPU bound setting way down. 

Hi Ted,

Thanks for sharing your experiences !

I think I will go the next days to the friend, who has the Vive Pro and take my my computer

and the Joysticks with me and try it out, make a flight from A to B...

How do you operate the switches und Buttons in VR, with your mouse? 

Best regards 

Erik

17 minutes ago, enrico10999 said:

How do you operate the switches und Buttons in VR, with your mouse?

yes!

Under VR setting I turn off Enablegaze so I am free to move the orb around with the mouse. If you leave it on you have the orb in the middle of your view all the time and move it with your head movement.

Its a great idea to check it out before you buy but don't be put off right away. Its a steap learning curve and takes some time to figure everything out and get the best possible image quality.

Edited by Guest

Erik I I have a thrust master worth hog joy stick and map functions to the joy sticks. Other wise I use the mouse to click things in the cockpit.

Regards ted kiser 

I only fly in VR and this since two years. I tried it once and never went back to a monitor. 

I am using the Oculus rift and yes the resolution could be better but I am willing to compromise for the benefits and immersion. In general I am able to read all the displays but sometimes having a hard time with the dials, but the ones I use for daily flying I know them anyway.

I also would strongly recommend Flyinside, because it just works much better then native P3D and has more options to.

99% of my time is in airliners.

My 2cents worth,

I have a Pimax 4K with P3DV4.4 and find native VR better over flyinside. The resolution is greatly reduced in flyinside and spoiled it for me even when tweaking the ini file to a very high res setting. I do miss the in view menus that come with flyinside.

However in native VR and with the Pimax cockpit viewing is excellent. I don’t have a screendoor effect and the only P3D slide I’ve left at default is the texture quality range because when looking out the window in VR the scenery does get slightly blurry and higher settings are pointless. All other settings are slightly higher than default. 

The clarity in cockpit is quite satisfactory and I can read the instruments rather well. E.g. Looking over to the FO’s instruments from the captains seat in the PMDG 747 I can just make out each word on the Display Selctor Panel, Fuel, Doors, ENG, STAT. The button labels are not perfectly clear but I can identify which button to push.

Performance wise I don’t see any difference (loss) when going from full screen mode (4K TV) to VR.

If the sim shows low FPS (heavy clouds, lots of AI at a 3rd party airport) when in non VR mode then I will see stutters when going to VR. But if I can hold good FPS in non VR mode then switching to VR is just as good and smooth panning.

I was using an OC 6700K (4.6) with a TitanXP Card with the above said performance.

Due to a soon to arrive Pimax 5k plus, I recently upgraded to a 9900k OC to 5.3 and a 2070ti however surprisingly my performance is similar to the old 6700k and Titan. The only real noticeable difference is the object distance details are all there since there is little to no autogen popping in. 

Overall I’m very impressed with P3Dv4.4 and native VR and find the slightly lower inheadset resolution over my 4K TV’s resolution still good enough and enjoyable. Hats off to LM 🎩 

IM

I just sold my Samsung Odyssey (first edition, not the +) due to disappointing results although it have the same OLED panels as the Vive-Pro. The best graphics and performance was in Aerofly, second was X-plane but my favourite sim  P3Dv4 was the worst both tried in Native VR and Flyinside.

Is this the future for flightsim? Absolutely but I'll wait till the next generation VR sets is coming out.

Good luck...

Anyone using the oculus for VR in P3D?  Would also love to hear their experience with it.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

I have used a Oculus for last 8 months with P3D 4.X and will never return to a monitor setup. Even that I have a nearly complete 737 cockpit with 3 big monitors the VR is still far the most realistic way of flying. i have connected the most of the switches to PMDG so they work in the sim.  

Its difficult to explain but Its just great !! Even that the Oculus has the SDE effect it still performs great. Im using Flyinside most due to performance and import of windows. All planning are done in Simbrief and the CDU is setup trough an App on the Ipad and then Im taking my headset on. Flying on-line is also easy with the builtin microphone.

Just tried a Samsung Odyssy + but the performance is not too good even on a 7700 5ghz & 2080ti !! And the headstrap is so bad compared to the Oculus

Regards

Claus

www.737sim.dk

Edited by chansen

Regards

Claus

System : Varjo Aero,  Intel i9 14900K 5,1 Ghz OC, RTX4090 24 GB, 64 GB RAM, 2 X M2 1TB, FS2020

https://claus34.wixsite.com/737sim

https://flightsim.to/profile/chansen

1 hour ago, chansen said:

I have used a Oculus for last 8 months with P3D 4.X and will never return to a monitor setup. Even that I have a nearly complete 737 cockpit with 3 big monitors the VR is still far the most realistic way of flying. i have connected the most of the switches to PMDG so they work in the sim.  

Its difficult to explain but Its just great !! Even that the Oculus has the SDE effect it still performs great. Im using Flyinside most due to performance and import of windows. All planning are done in Simbrief and the CDU is setup trough an App on the Ipad and then Im taking my headset on. Flying on-line is also easy with the builtin microphone.

Just tried a Samsung Odyssy + but the performance is not too good even on a 7700 5ghz & 2080ti !! And the headstrap is so bad compared to the Oculus

Regards

Claus

www.737sim.dk

I can only imagine how great it looks.  I had the opportunity to play a few games using oculus a couple of weeks ago and it completely blew me away on how far that technology has come.  Needless to say I suspect I’ll have an oculus before the end of the year.  Definitely a game changer.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."