Sign in to follow this  
enrico10999

How works VR in P3D V4.4 for you ?

On 2/7/2019 at 12:15 PM, JasonPC said:

Don't expect to have much success with airliners in VR. They are much too demanding to provide a good experience. Also the VR support in P3D is not great when it comes to controls. I believe xplane 11 and aerofly fs2 are miles ahead with support.

At this point I limit my VR flying to GA aircraft.

I only fly airliners and find exception to this although you my wish to try yourself.

X-Plane 11 with the Zibo 737 is excellent for VR, it actually should be a study on how to implement VR in other planes.

I think it may be my unwillingness to compromise my settings. But I think I could fly the PMDG 747 and 777 in VR. I get excellent frames with those.

Also some people are more prone to dizziness or motion sickness from lower frames. So while locked at 30 fps or even 24 may work for some. I personally much prefer being locked at 45 or higher.

• Like 1

Did anyone move to VR from flying using TrackIR and a monitor? Would like to hear opinions. 

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

6 hours ago, Drumcode said:

Did anyone move to VR from flying using TrackIR and a monitor? Would like to hear opinions. 

Yep, me... using Samsung Odyssey (the first one) but moved back to Track-IR, Monitor and 3DVision and have sold the Samsung again and wait for better headsets.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simba_nl said:

Yep, me... using Samsung Odyssey (the first one) but moved back to Track-IR, Monitor and 3DVision and have sold the Samsung again and wait for better headsets.

You did not try the Rift? I have some cash burning in my pocket and am really tempted to try it. Did you get rid of the Samsung because of the resolution? How was the level of immersion? I have TIR for about 6 years now and would never ever fly without it.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

12 hours ago, Drumcode said:

No longer using tir since started using rift. Tir user since v1.0 and worked well with big 4k screen but rift immersion just too good despite lower resolution. 

Search this sub forum for similar  feedback.  

Flying helicopters to pmdg tubes to fighter jets, all work well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Excellent. I think I'm going to go for it. 🙂

Jacek G.

2 hours ago, Drumcode said:

You did not try the Rift? I have some cash burning in my pocket and am really tempted to try it. Did you get rid of the Samsung because of the resolution? How was the level of immersion? I have TIR for about 6 years now and would never ever fly without it.

The Rift and Vive have a MUCH lower resolution then the OLED driven Samsung who has basicly the same resolution as the Vive-pro... My advice despite all the Pro's and Contra's written here is... Try before you buy... I'll wait, that's for sure. The immersion in VR is fantastic but back to 800x600 kind of resolution and that wrapped around you, that's my impression.... No Thanks. Don't let you fool by nice looking screenshots or tests on secondary monitors. That's NOT what you see in the headset. I haven't sold it again because I need the money...  

Edited by simba_nl

11 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

The Rift and Vive have a MUCH lower resolution then the OLED driven Samsung who has basicly the same resolution as the Vive-pro... My advice despite all the Pro's and Contra's written here is... Try before you buy... I'll wait, that's for sure. The immersion in VR is fantastic but back to 800x600 kind of resolution and that wrapped around you, that's my impression.... No Thanks. Don't let you fool by nice looking screenshots or tests on secondary monitors. That's NOT what you see in the headset. I haven't sold it again because I need the money...  

I am arranging to borrow the current Rift from someone I know and use it at home to find out for myself how bad it really is. The price point is decent on the whole set in the US now, $350.

Jacek G.

I also would like to understand whether mouse control is available with the headset on? How are knobs being turned and stuff?

Jacek G.

1 minute ago, Drumcode said:

I am arranging to borrow the current Rift from someone I know and use it at home to find out for myself how bad it really is. The price point is decent on the whole set in the US now, $350.

As I stated, Try before you Buy. I know in the US you can collect one on nearly every corner of the street and bring it back when it not fits. I'm from The Netherlands and there was really NO shop selling it with Money Back Guarantee so I took the plunge on ebay for a fresh but used Samsung and I'm glad I could sell it again for the price I have paid. As soon there are much better resolutions, I'm gonna buy again a VR set but following al the forums etc. there is nothing or little to expect in 2019.

19 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

A thing to remember is that there's a learning curve to get it right for any particular system. Don't try for half an hour and throw it at a wall if its not quite up to expectations. There are settings to play with! 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

14 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

A thing to remember is that there's a learning curve to get it right for any particular system. Don't try for half an hour and throw it at a wall if its not quite up to expectations. There are settings to play with! 

Is there a guide on how to configure P3D so it is usable with OR? Judging by your signature I assume you're flying exclusively with it? 

Jacek G.

10 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Is there a guide on how to configure P3D so it is usable with OR? Judging by your signature I assume you're flying exclusively with it? 

Nah, I'm too wayward to stick to any one thing, but I do tend to love me some VR in most cases.

The "guide" will be mostly common sense, as in set everything to default and work your way up until you have a working compromise of FPS vs visuals.

Use SS sparingly to sharpen your image, being aware there is a FPS cost, and remember that if you need glasses in real life, then you will also need them in vr, unless you are farsighted.

Use apps like the Oculus tray tool to monitor your settings and balance them efficiently, etc, and ask for help when in trouble or in doubt.

Also: with a vr headset, the more you get out of it, the more value its has. Break things up by sampling the other offerings available (Racing etc) since using it for flying alone really is a waste of potential and is much more likely to reduce the headsets apparent value for dollar.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5