Sign in to follow this  
Amon1973

Orbx TrueEarth Great Britain South Released for Prepar3D v4

56 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

I did a check with a friend of my with his TE GB South for Xplane11 (not my choice for a simulator and I can't get used of the "hazy" not vibrant overall colours of the landscape) but performance wise I say a big YES compared to P3D....

Trees in the water and hé... where is the London Eye (?/!)... One of the biggest landmarks for VFR flights in that area...

ORBX TE GB South  is a NoGo for me even tough TE The Netherlands is running very well on my antique system but GB South... No Thanks... 

I am all but one of the X-plane agents, but you can get X-plane vibrant and remove the ugly haze and khaki. You need two (payware) tools, xVision and Ultra Weather. ORBX has corresponding settings published in their forum. On my machine the colors of ORBX TE GB under XP are at least as vibrant as under P3D.

There's some remaining shimmer in the midrange over cities under XP which can't be removed as long as HDR is active, and switching off HDR cancels xVision's effect. However, the overall performance under XP is day and night to the P3D version. It certainly has been a bad port, and I only hope they will be able to improve it. TE NL, which was P3D natively, works and looks excellent on my machine.

BTW, the London Eye is there in both versions. I had it missing (together with a number of more POIs) in one of the two versions intially, too. Unfortunately I don't recall what I did (check for missing files?) but it's there and I find the POIs well-done in both versions.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Can anyone confirm that TE GB South is in fact a 100% port over from XP11? because I tested the performance of the XP11 version and found out a lot of missing landmarks in London and want to be sure before buying a P3D version

This is what I wrote earlier...

"What a mess with missing critical Landmarks. Speed Yachts are sitting in Bridges, The Tower Bridge (All the bridges are funny things there by the way in TE) is missing and there is a apartment complex there in the middle of the Thames., Trees in the water and hé... where is the London Eye (?/!)... One of the biggest landmarks for VFR flights in that area..."

Edited by simba_nl

42 minutes ago, awf said:

Which obvious should have been realized with a reduced drawing distance (read the autogen draw distance slider has no effect here since it's no autogen stuff ;-))

Reducing autogen draw distance from "High" to "Medium" nearly doubled fps starting from a clean prepar3d.cfg.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/167959-where-does-te-gb-south-p3d-lose-its-fps/?tab=comments#comment-1477464 (requires access to the forum)

This has been confirmed by others since. It just made the difference between "unsable" and "unsuable" for me (without denying there are other issues).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

35 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Strange. I think something must have gone wrong with the install on your system. I tried TE GB yesterday. Tower Bridge looked okay, and even the Millennium Bridge looked okay. Didn't notice any 'speed yachts', and certainly no trees in the water.

BUT I saw TWO London Eyes! I can only think there's an error in the Exclude file in TE GBS. And I don't like all those huge long white buildings all over the place in London. I don't know what they are supposed to be. Maybe there are the odd huge office complexes like that, but never that many!

Anyway, I certainly can't use the product on my 737NG cockpit system, but I may do on my VFR setup (Piper Arrow III), once the perfrmance can be improved by scaling.

Pete

Are you talking about the XP11 version or the new P3D Pete?  I have tested the XP11 version on a mirror pc of a friend of my.  everything is ok. ORBX FTX Global says everything is ok, no updates so... I'm not a XP11 user but only P3D and Aerofly fs2 so i am curious of the version you are talking about because i have read that the P3D version is exact the same as the XP11 version.

14 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

i have read that the P3D version is exact the same as the XP11 version.

The same landmarks are in both packages, however two differences:

- X-Plane includes by default some landmarks in London that weren't remodelled as they were already very good. i.e. Big Ben, London Bridge, London Eye

- P3D includes newer and more landmarks that aren't yet in the X-Plane version but will be released in SP1

The autogen and trees are from the same data, but both sims have different ways and tech for dealing with autogen, so technically it's not a direct port/copy over

20 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

Are you talking about the XP11 version or the new P3D Pete? 

The P3D version. I don't have XP.  Like you, I believed that the landmarks and autogen positioning would be the same. Evidently not.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

34 minutes ago, pmb said:

That got locked, that's one very nice PC.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

The thread linked to above is temporarily locked, so (like Nick says) make sure that you have checked all of your test documentation and evidence, so that you have plenty of ammunition when it opens again :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

7 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The thread linked to above is temporarily locked, so (like Nick says) make sure that you have checked all of your test documentation and evidence, so that you have plenty of ammunition when it opens again :wink:

The thread has been locked because of a posting (#39) of a brainless guy accusing JV not having TE GB installed.:wink: Nothing to add.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

TE GB South has a lot more autogen buildings than TE NL

I suspect that the big problem is that a lot of the buildings that should be autogen (and probably more convincingly rendered at the same time) are actually scenery objects. I am not really sure why they decided on this approach, as I would have thought that autogen would deliver less of a hit to framerates than hundreds of scenery objects. After all, my framerate when facing London from SimWings Heathrow does not change one bit if I switch between Extremely Dense and None with respect to Autogen Vegetation and Buildings.

Of course, I do not expect my mediocre system to perform miracles, but London is a slideshow at the moment with Scenery Complexity set to anything other than Sparse (and who the hell wants to run a flight simulator with a setting as low as that)?

To be honest, I had seen it mentioned that some of the buildings in the XPlane version of TrueEarth GB South are rendered better than those in the P3D version, and I am guessing that those weird "geometrical shape" buildings are the relevant ones. They do not look all that nice to me, and I would hope that they could be changed to something a bit more realistic.

EDIT: Yes, I did notice that, Michael!! I am not sure what he had been smoking when he typed that :laugh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

Strange. I think something must have gone wrong with the install on your system. I tried TE GB yesterday. Tower Bridge looked okay, and even the Millennium Bridge looked okay. Didn't notice any 'speed yachts', and certainly no trees in the water.

BUT I saw TWO London Eyes! I can only think there's an error in the Exclude file in TE GBS. And I don't like all those huge long white buildings all over the place in London. I don't know what they are supposed to be. Maybe there are the odd huge office complexes like that, but never that many!

Anyway, I certainly can't use the product on my 737NG cockpit system, but I may do on my VFR setup (Piper Arrow III), once the perfrmance can be improved by scaling.

Pete

I agree I see a proper Tower Bridge but yes there are a few trees in the Thames, oh and 4 extra Chimneys at Battersea power station 😂.

Tonight I will disable FTX England and LC manually and see if they dissapear. Could be part of the performance issues if the excludes are dodgy.

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

9 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I suspect that the big problem is that a lot of the buildings that should be autogen (and probably more convincingly rendered at the same time) are actually scenery objects. I am not really sure why they decide on this approach

JV explained that, its because you cant be very accurate with autogen, to get the level of precision required you must use scenery objects at the expense of performance.

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

The autogen houses that I have seen in London (and in screenshots) look quite well placed, and they look a lot more realistic than those weird buildings that I mentioned. It's probably also worth noting here that F737NG criticised the placement accuracy of a handful of 3D Landmark models that he had seen on his travels (Cardiff Stadium and Castle). I am sure that JV is correct, but I am looking for immersion and realism in large scale products like this, and a mass of unrealistic looking buildings can kill that immersion stone dead.

Maybe the TrueEarth project isn't quite as much the "future of flight simulation scenery" that I had hoped it would be :sad:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, that was interesting......

I decided to remove those "3DM" files that someone mentioned on the ORBx forum. At first I thought that they must be the photorealistic scenery BGL files, but I have just repeated my test (sitting at Gate 257 at SimWings Heathrow, and looking directly towards the centre of London), and I can still see the photoscenery textures being displayed. In addition, the major landmark models in London are visible, and also a sea of autogen houses and trees. However, what appears to be missing are those weird "geometrical shape" buildings that I noticed just east of Heathrow. Strangely, there are now a handful of isolated (presumably autogen) houses in those areas, and the odd looking buildings have vanished.

Further investigation seems to suggest that those strange shaped buildings are in locations that could be related to "autogen exclusion" zones close to SimWings London Heathrow. Just about everywhere else, I see autogen houses. Lots of them. Which begs the question......why are these "exclusion zones" not filled with autogen? If autogen houses are so difficult to accurately place, then why is a large percentage of the London area covered with them? In addition, the framerate is up from 3fps to 12fps.....with exactly the same settings that I stated in my post on page 8 of this thread. In fact, that framerate would be workable for me.

Someone needs to help me here, because I am baffled :huh:

EDIT: It is also worth noting that loading times were much faster with these files removed.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Those "3DM" files are definitely the source of the "tanking framerates" problem. They appear to add lots of "building blocks" in between the autogen houses and trees, and these are scenery objects that seem to require a significantly greater amount of processing power to render.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png