eaim

Orbx TrueEarth Great Britain South Released for Prepar3D v4

Good news that this is released however, I think I'll wait on this one, as there is no seasons other than Summer, and what will the load times be like, it might be more of an option after LM sort load times out with P3D V4.5.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Load times aren't bad at all actually...pleasantly surprised

• Like 1

I will wait till they first have released the SP for True Earth Netherlands, which lots of people are waiting for for 10 months now..

Imho : regarding TE NL for P3Dv4 , Orbx has to show that they are also willing to provide service after a release instead of focusing only on selling and avoiding to reply to people asking about    a SP...

• Like 2

I have ORBX EU England installed. Now how does this product tie into that? What is the difference? Just another name for the same thing with maybe a lot more detail?

I will not buy any TE scenery until P3D/ORBX will cooperate to reduce loading times and long frames. IMO both are caused by many/large PR scenery titles.

Bought and installed it as a late birthday present to myself.

Pros:

taCDBJ3.jpg

• It runs fairly well on my PC (but not as well as TE Netherlands).
  • With all of the autogen and 3D models/POIs sitting on top of photo scenery, it really gives the impression that 'I'm there' (London really felt like being in London).
  • Colouring of the photo scenery is good, not the washed-out stuff I've been using.
  • UK2000 Xtreme airport sceneries around London appear to sit near perfectly with the ORBX ground photo (though colouring does not match).
  • It's only ~60GB once installed, that's about 2x as much disk space as Horizon VFR volume 1, but only half of XP11. There's a lot of data included, so I'm happy with that.
  • Water masking is excellent.

Cons:

• Load time for me at EGLC was 15 minutes, 14 of them stuck at the infamous 6% "Loading Terrain Data".
  • The underlying photo scenery is not as crisp as I'd hoped (I run Horizon / PlaySims VFR UK which is a lot clearer - up to LOD17. ORBX's LOD15 / 1.2m per pixel is acceptable, but not great).
  • There are some obvious mistakes.
    - Between and including London Bridge to Lambeth Bridge there are some badly modelled and incorrectly placed bridges. Some are done to a very high standard, others are worse than default.
    - There is no lighthouse I.R.L. in Central London. Some demolished buildings have been included. I highlighted these on their forums some time ago.
    - Some of the new I.R.L. buildings that have been made as POIs are not located accurately and are poorly modelled.
  • Autogen building placement does not match the photo scenery footprint - can be off by 2 metres or more and it's obvious from 2,000 feet A.G.L.
    (See the pic below with the Stadium, Cardiff Castle in front of the plane and the autogen train station just behind the tail).

MXPlbHf.png

• I had to turn off shadows, reflections, other eye candy to get acceptable performance).

Overall, at the moment, it's a C+ grade from me.
SP1 (whenever that's ready) will introduce some improvements, I'm sure. Compromising on settings seems to be the way to get acceptable frames and few / no stutters.
I won't be rushing to buy TE GB Central or North until after their SP1s have been released.

Edited by F737NG
Added pic
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

I have ORBX EU England installed. Now how does this product tie into that? What is the difference? Just another name for the same thing with maybe a lot more detail?

TE is a photo-real product. In other words, it's photo imagery of the actual landscape with all the 3D autogen on top. EU England is a landclass product, which is a plausible look-alike landscape with autogen on top. You might think of EU England as like flying over England in a parallel universe.

8 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

TE is a photo-real product. In other words, it's photo imagery of the actual landscape with all the 3D autogen on top. EU England is a landclass product, which is a plausible look-alike landscape with autogen on top. You might think of EU England as like flying over England in a parallel universe.

Great. So I can simply install over my existing landclass product? I'm interested in this since I have ORBX Southampton airport installed and am originally from the area.

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

I will wait till they first have released the SP for True Earth Netherlands, which lots of people are waiting for for 10 months now..

Honestly, ORBX is going down the wrong route to me. As you mentioned, due to the hype about TE GB products, it seems that everything else is currently abandoned, although not the same persons working on TE GB as for other products.

- no update for the long promised ORBX Australia

- no SP for TE Netherlands

- almost no new airports for P3Dv4

In addition, the decision to release TE GB South for P3D with only one season and a rather ridiculous discussion about this topic in the forums simply show: the TE route is not for P3D. The download sizes with five seasons is simply to big and now they start to dial down what basically makes a huge difference between XP and P3D for the sake of some gigabytes. To me, this is more like: we tried TE with Netherlands, everybody hyped it and now we continue this TE route even if more and more compromises need to be made...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I have all the  regions in europe, base, vector, openlc installed,smooth framerates, when i install all europe regions frames drop like hell, no service packs from orbx after i spent huge amounts of money. This is a PASS because they do not fix any of their products and ignore support forums, its a shame thats why they concentrate on xplane because they cant fix it for prepar3d4.4 Take what you want from it!!!!!! 

Edited by kurtb
spelling
  • Like 1

15 mins to load lol.

Even if it was 5 it’s still way to long. 

I will pass even with “faster “ loading.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stroman81 said:

Well, there seems to be hope for the future...

People are so quick to blame Orbx, when the above link makes it clear the long loading times are a bug in P3D and finally admitted by LM and it will be fixed in the next beta.

I also own TE Netherlands and a bunch of Orbx products and I am not concerned about the SP1 for NED, because I cannot recall Orbx ever promising a service pack and not delivering it. Vector alone has had 6 or 7 major updates since it’s release, and so has FTX England which at SP6 right now. I do think they are struggling with resources internally a bit and I hope they can expand their team to take on these ambitious new projects. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

Good you asked this question as like you I have EU England

47 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

15 mins to load lol.

Even if it was 5 it’s still way to long. 

I will pass even with “faster “ loading.

Good point raised, David.

Great feedback F737NG. I'll pass for now.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fta2017 said:

People are so quick to blame Orbx, when the above link makes it clear the long loading times are a bug in P3D and finally admitted by LM and it will be fixed in the next beta.

I also own TE Netherlands and a bunch of Orbx products and I am not concerned about the SP1 for NED, because I cannot recall Orbx ever promising a service pack and not delivering it. Vector alone has had 6 or 7 major updates since it’s release, and so has FTX England which at SP6 right now. I do think they are struggling with resources internally a bit and I hope they can expand their team to take on these ambitious new projects. 

So you think it is absolutely normal to release a product and then wait for a year or longer to release a SP that fixes several bugs , resizes the Zeppelin size barns and adds some objects ...

In the mean time XPlane TU NL was released + SP..

Imagine PMDG would release a new aircraft and the tail would be 4X its size and several wheels where missing. Would you also say that it would not be a problem .

And imagine that several topics about a SP would have been deleted. Would you als be not concerned..?

The SP was already mentioned in april last year and only in december John finally replied in an irritated tone that the SP would come but, because of other products it would still take a while.,.

And as I am from the Netherlands and fly over it a lot I find those Giant Mega Barns quiet irritating. A small hotfix 10 months ago would have been very easy to release.

So in my case : not well done...

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

As mentioned, they go down a dangerous road now. In my understanding, ORBX always published their products on time or only with minor delay, but since they put that much effort in their TE products (the new ones...), somehow they are now close to Aerosoft: promising stuff with a date they can simply hold in no way. With their OpenLC products, they are more than a year behind the originally communicated schedule. FTX Australia v2, I was told on a support question that the release of v2 is not far away and that the bug I addressed won't be fixed in v1. This is now also more than a year ago.

I totally agree with Gerard...

• Like 1

• The "giant mega barns" issue is something that I also noticed when I had ORBx FTX Northern Ireland installed.
  • As for any issues with this first release of TrueEarth GB South.....please make sure that these are communicated to the development team on the ORBx forum. Misalignment of objects with the photoscenery footprint (and those rubbish bridge models in the above screenshot) need to be sorted out.
  • With respect to the LOD15 resolution of the photoscenery textures.....this is exactly the same as Horizon UK VFR Photographic Scenery England and Wales. Scotland is LOD16.
Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

The TE product will install above (not really "on top of") the FTX England and Wales.  So you can just enable/disable in the scenery menu.  None of the files in the FTX products get changed.

Those with EU England etc note this post by Raymond rjfry in another thread:

ORBX TE NL is a performance hit I can run it but that's on top OLC and ORBX has advised removing the UK regions before running UK TE. 

And I suspect the same will apply to TE US regions when they come out so users that purchased US regions will need to remove them for TE, and lose the seasons that they enjoyed with the present regions. 

That's not what John Venema said:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/167879-true-earth-gb-ftx-eu-england-for-p3d-v4/?do=findComment&comment=1475531

• Like 1

I think I'll consider buying it if I read reports that the performance is much slicker than with the current FTX EU England + AS EGLL +etc combo in areas like London

PS: and London area alone will be enough as an indicator already ))

Edited by Dirk98

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:
  • As for any issues with this first release of TrueEarth GB South.....please make sure that these are communicated to the development team on the ORBx forum [...]
  • With respect to the LOD15 resolution of the photoscenery textures.....this is exactly the same as Horizon UK VFR Photographic Scenery England and Wales. Scotland is LOD16.

Nope, the version of Horizon VFR photo scenery I'm using (from the Playsims update discs) has 60cm resolution in many places. Ergo, better clarity than the ORBX TE product and I find it to be noticeable when looking at nearby scenery.

I'll pass on my comments next week, once the initial launch rush has died down so they don't get lost amongst the over-excitement.
It will need lots of buyers to make similar comments for them to take note, however.

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

As mentioned, they go down a dangerous road now. In my understanding, ORBX always published their products on time or only with minor delay, but since they put that much effort in their TE products (the new ones...), somehow they are now close to Aerosoft: promising stuff with a date they can simply hold in no way.

I don't think they hired designers early enough. They overcommitted to producing TE products, then TE NED for XP11 had problems, so no income from that project and they then prioritised the whole design team away from their 'bread & butter' OLC and regions in P3D. Hopefully that will change now that TE GB South has been released - per JV, Aus and Africa get the attention next.

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

So you think it is absolutely normal to release a product and then wait for a year or longer to release a SP that fixes several bugs , resizes the Zeppelin size barns and adds some objects
[...]
And as I am from the Netherlands and fly over it a lot I find those Giant Mega Barns quiet irritating. A small hotfix 10 months ago would have been very easy to release.

So in my case : not well done...

Being from the place that the product reproduces is the problem. Personally, I'd like to see an SP for Netherlands, but for me, it's not an urgent requirement, as it doesn't matter as much to me as it does to you. Likewise, being from London, I can easily see all of the faults and want the SP fixes for TE GB South tomorrow. I imagine you would not be as concerned.

I have no problem with ORBX developing a lot of products for XP. I believe it involves designers not involved with P3D. It should be somewhat easy to port over objects to make a new product for a new market - easy money for them. It means they then have additional financial resources to develop new ideas.

Has it been handled well? No, it has not and it goes back to overcommitting their resources to their shiny new product line ahead of what had already been announced, which created the sense of ignoring their customers of previous products.

Anyway, I have made my one impulse purchase this year from ORBX. I will now wait until I see SPs and positive customer feedback before buying anything new from them.

13 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

I think I'll consider buying it if I read reports that the performance is much slicker than with the current FTX EU England + AS EGLL +etc combo in areas like London

PS: and London area alone will be enough as an indicator already ))

I don't own FTX England, but I know some have performance issues with it. That said, London is very densely detailed in TE GB - I would be very surprised if you achieved slicker performance.
In my own experience, FlyTampa EHAM and TE NED Amsterdam runs about as well as TE GB London without any AI and with reflections off.

That was the advise before TE UK XP even came out now they have done it with the P3D TE installer it disables UK regions goodbye seasons, I don't VFR very much done it to death years ago FS9 and not into sunny day flying at a set height to get the best from a scenery.

can someone fly the fsl or a pmdg  bird into EGLL and how tell me how smooth is it??  im waiting and look forward to the answer. I doubt ill get one

I couldnt give less of a fig about a screenshot of the default Cessna over a small city.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tooting said:

can someone fly the fsl or a pmdg  bird into EGLL and how tell me how smooth is it??  im waiting and look forward to the answer. I doubt ill get one

I couldnt give less of a fig about a screenshot of the default Cessna over a small city.

Orbx OLC Euro is fine, I will not even go there with Orbx England let alone try a version that takes 15 mins to load. GL anyone trying FSL or even a PMDG into Simwings EGLL. But to be fair simwing,s EGLL is fantastic on FPS.

I what smooth fligths over the city and into landing OLC is perfect for that. London looks good enough for me and am from the UK. If I lived in Chelsea it might not be  🙂