Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Frame Rates...

19 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

My experience is with 4 cores or less lock the frame rate, with 8 cores use unlimited.

Similar experience; my previous i7-4790 4 core based system worked best locked, but my current i7-8700k 6 core runs smoothest with unlimited.

I vaguely know what cores are but have no idea how to manipulate them or why or are they something that's fixed and how do you know how many cores you have?

Sometimes when I go through these posts I feel I'm not smart enough to be a flight simmer anymore and I begin to start flying my FS9 installation again like it's an old friend.  I could do things with that one.  I built a lot of scenery for it for California Classics.  Now while I wait 5 or 6 minutes for P3Dv4 to come up and aIl can do is fly from point A to point B in it.  After a while that isn't enough and I go back to my FS9 and use Instant Scenery to enhance some of my airports or use Lee Swordy's traffic tool to create more ai flights.  

The technology has left me in it's dust.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

6 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I vaguely know what cores are but have no idea how to manipulate them or why or are they something that's fixed and how do you know how many cores you have?

Press CTRL_ALT_DEL

The lock screen will come up. Click Task Manager at the bottom of the list.

Click the PERFORMANCE Tab and on CPU settings on right will show your processor details.

# of Sockets, Cores & Logical Processors is shown.

Sockets = # of CPUs (most likely 1 for home machine but if it's a work server maybe more......step back if it IS a work machine!)

Cores = Well actual CPU hardware CORES. Each one waiting to do your bidding.

Logical Processors= If same # as CORES then you have HyperThreading OFF. If 16 then you have it ON.

Hope this helps!

😄

1xHooFs.png

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Thanks Russell.  I did that.  I have:

1 socket

4 cores

8 logical processors...so I guess hyperthreading is on.

You say each core waiting to do my bidding.  What does that mean and how do I do it or should I even do it?

Noel 

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

You say each core waiting to do my bidding.  What does that mean and how do I do it or should I even do it?

Well I was being dramatic! Look at the cores as your foremen, and they already have a supervisor in Windows that does a pretty good job already getting the foremen assigned to jobs and workers. Trouble is some of the actual workers, ahem the older ones like us tend to not do as they are told exactly preferring to work in the way they used to back in the day. So the overall plant/factory (your PC) whatever is losing efficiency to their obstinacy. Do you intervene and spend the money to buy new workers saying good bye to loyal old workers(get the latest software). or do you give direct instructions to the foreman (bypassing the supervisor) to tell the trouble workers (the legacy programs) where and how you want them to operate.

If you understand the whole factory and all the jobs completely you could do a better job than your supervisor and get the quotas up. Or you could make those old 'uns work faster and do more work but at the expense of the other workers who complain they are working in THEIR space and using THEIR tools.

Sorry for the rather large parable/similes but it's been a long day!

IF things are working ok best to leave alone. If not you can do a lot with Task manager on a temporary basis that wont do any harm (other than at worst crash a program).

Go to DETAILS tab on TM and right click a process. you can SET AFFINITY which means ORDER it to use a particular core. You might get lucky but you need to know which core your sim is running on in order to avoid it. If you have 10+ apps working at once then windows is sharing them around your 4 cores as best as it can. You don't have the luxury of running each app in its own core....back to my earlier analogy you are now going to have to work in personnel and find which workers dont mind working together in crowds and which need to be in fewer company. The workers (apps) that work best alone are a PITA. They will hog cores to themselves. Maybe time for some pink slips or accept you love em all and dont mind supporting their families for a while longer with less than maximum efficiency!

As I said it's been a LONG day and that's all I can come up with tonight! 

😄

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Thanks Russell.  I'd better leave things alone.  I just get curious when these terms come up.

Noel