Sign in to follow this  
NMaggio

WIN10/FSX -FPS a CRAWL

Judging from the length and breath of the Win10/FSX frame rate issues, my question might not have an easy answer. Basically, running FSX (not SE ) frame rates have slowed to a crawl (3 -5 fps). They start off at about 10 max and degenerate from there. I am no stranger to FSX fixes and tweaks. Over the years I have purchased many speed-up tools, such as, FSS-Xtreme FSX PC, FSX Fiber Accelerator and Primo Cache with a 128GB SSD. Add-ons include GSX, EZ-DOC, My Traffic and MegaScenery graphics. These have all been tweeked till they squeak. Resolution has been lowered to a blurry mess, traffic stripped to almost no other aircraft on the ground or in the air. Sliders have been moved to the level of low end PCs. Nvidia Inspector has recently been downloaded and set to recommended settings. I highly suspect my leap to Win10 caused most of the difficulty. In order to run RING doorbell app, Win 10 was required. All hardware checks out. To keep this short, please see the system information below and, if possible, guide me down a path I have not taken. You can see that this 4 year old machine is more than adequate for the task. Your help and patients would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer MSI

System Model MS-7850

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.8, 7/21/2014

SMBIOS Version 2.8

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BaseBoard Manufacturer MSI

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 23.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 14.1 GB

Total Virtual Memory 47.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 36.3 GB

Page File Space 24.0 GB

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: MSI

System Model: MS-7850

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/21/14 14:17:19 Ver: V1.8B0 (type: BIOS)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 24576MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 24516MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 760

Not the fastest computer in the world, but yours is better than mine and should run FSX well enough.  You said you upgraded to Windows 10, so I suspect you were running Windows 7 or 8 and applied a Windows 10 upgrade.  It seems to me that people who have the most trouble with Windows 10 are those who applied the upgrade from an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system. 

After you installed Windows 10, did you make a backup of the FSX cfg file, then delete and let FSX build a new cfg file?  I had to do this just for a new video card.  Editing the old cfg didn't seem to work too well for some reason, so I had to let FSX build a new cfg file to fully recognize the new video card. 

If that does not work, you may need to completely uninstall FSX and its add ons, then do a clean install of FSX.  If you have to reinstall, do not allow FSX to install to the default C:/Program Files directory.  Install it to a directory that you created, this will save tons of headaches with MS's protection of the Windows and Program Files directories.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Nick, have you tried to load the most recent NVIDIA driver which works with your graphics card? Windows 10 upgrades often load a driver which is compatible, but not optimal.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

And W10 has a gaming mode sometimes on by default. If so, try turning it off.

If you do go the route of reinstall, try just the default FSX and no tweaks (none, even cfg) first. If that doesn't run well,  look to your system. 128gb is very small any more. If it is more than 80% full things start to slow down. 

If default runs well, then slowly add the rest of your stuff to find the problem.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

The latest drivers have been downloaded. The 128GBs refers to an SSD card that is used as secondary cash for the program called Primo Cache. I believe Stan's suggestion is the route I should take.  Yes, I went from 7 to 10. This solution was in the back of my mind, but I was too timid to try it. However, now I believe that a completely fresh install of FSX is the only way to resolve this issue. 

Thanks for everyone's replies and inputs. They all make sense.

Nick

Hi

For what it’s worth, I have dual operating systems

No difference in frame rate between the two.

I tend to spend more time running  7

Trubshaw

On 2/9/2019 at 10:44 PM, NMaggio said:

However, now I believe that a completely fresh install of FSX is the only way to resolve this issue.

Do it, you won't regret it! Bite the bullet now to prevent problems arising in the future. See it as a preventative spring clean. More (most?) issues with Windows 10 seem to occur on systems which have been upgraded to Windows 10 than on those with a clean install - there are no legacy drivers and processes hanging around from the old OS to catch you out when you least expect it.

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It took a while but, the effort was worth it. Functionality is back to normal. Making the move also gave me an opportunity to clean out all the "extras" that were not in use. Thanks for everyone's help and support.

Nick