Sign in to follow this  
Pete Dowson

Anyone know what might set traffic slider to 100%

I'm currently using UTLive, but i still have my old favourite MyTraffic installed. I simply set the traffic slider to 0%

I leave it installed because on some flights I know I'll be using airports which simply do not have enough UTLive traffic to suit me. Aslo, with the traffic slider up a little way I can get a few more types of flights -- military and more cargo -- than provided by UTLive.

BUT something, and I can't seem to track it down, keeps whacking the traffic slider up to 100% from 0%. Does anyone here have a clue what might be doing that?  If I turn it down it stays down for the rest of that session, so it is something one of my add-ons is doing at startup.

BTW I'll probably change over to using the traffic BGLs generated by the AIG manager, as that gives me an immense variety, but first I need to randomise the traffic % set in the plans so I can adjust it, otherwise there's just so much traffic at places like EGLL that P3D almost stalls. (Yes, I know I can use my FSUIPC limiter, but there's so much needing deleting that I'm sure it must affect performance a bit when it is faced with the constant deletion. A rather lower level is desirable I think).

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Hello Pete,

are you using SimStarter? That caused this problem on my system. I had to change traffic settings in SimStarter instead of P3D to keep traffic levels at my desired level.

Peter

By default, UT2 overides P3D's traffic slider. You have to set it within the UTLive control panel that comes with it.

Zicheng Cai

1 hour ago, qqwertzde said:

are you using SimStarter? That caused this problem on my system. I had to change traffic settings in SimStarter instead of P3D to keep traffic levels at my desired level.

No. I did try it for a day, but it wasn't closing some of the programs I got it to start. i only tried it because I though P£D4 was running a little better with only 4 out of 10 cores assigned, and that stopped me having FSUIPC loading the same add-ons with different cores assigned.

After more experiments I found P3D4 was smoother without restricting its cores so went back to FSUIPc loading (and closing) my add-ons.

1 hour ago, Cai Zicheng said:

By default, UT2 overides P3D's traffic slider. You have to set it within the UTLive control panel that comes with it.

UTLive moves it to 100%? I could understand it a bit more if it moved it down to 0% (as it advises you to do anyway), but 100% is weird!

I'm sure UTLive used to be okay and not do this, so something must have upset its settings -- I'll check.

Thanks!

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Hi Pete,

No UTL doesn't change the traffic sliders, it injects traffic via SimConnet so this would be counter productive.

It must be something else, maybe AIGAIM?

Regards 

Simbol 

Pete,

I don’t know any command that can increase traffic to 100% but there is the capability in UTL to increase and decrease the traffic % with keyboard commands. I have a couple of GoFlight buttons assigned for that action. CTRL+Shift+F9 and CTRL+Shift+F11.

Maybe there’s an option in there to increase it to max and you have something assigned to it by accident.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Pete,

I don’t know any command that can increase traffic to 100% but there is the capability in UTL to increase and decrease the traffic % with keyboard commands. I have a couple of GoFlight buttons assigned for that action. CTRL+Shift+F9 and CTRL+Shift+F11.

Maybe there’s an option in there to increase it to max and you have something assigned to it by accident.

Yes but this is the traffic levels of UTL.

S.

6 minutes ago, simbol said:

Yes but this is the traffic levels of UTL.

S.

I know. That’s what I’m talking about.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

UTLive injects traffic outside the simulator via SimConnect, and MyTraffic 6 uses the AI Traffic slider in the P3D setup menu. When you say that you "turn it down", are you referring to settings in UTLive, or the AI traffic percentage in the P3D setup menu?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

7 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

UTLive injects traffic outside the simulator via SimConnect, and MyTraffic 6 uses the AI Traffic slider in the P3D setup menu. When you say that you "turn it down", are you referring to settings in UTLive, or the AI traffic percentage in the P3D setup menu?

Who is that directed to?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think he is saying the slider in P3D - that's what controls My Traffic Traffic. He only bumps that up at airports where he wants more than what UTL provides.

Pete, what is it set for your default flight?

Edited by duckbilled

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

4 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I though P£D4 was running a little better with only 4 out of 10 cores assigned, and that stopped me having FSUIPC loading the same add-ons with different cores assigned.

After more experiments I found P3D4 was smoother without restricting its cores so went back to FSUIPc loading (and closing) my add-ons.

Results I have been seeing suggests you might want to use 6 or 7 cores for P3D on a 10 core. I can't honestly see any sense in restricting P3D to four cores.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...just been having a closer look on a couple of 10s; loading time halves between 4 and 7 cores, but no decreases in loading time were noted after that. Bizarre results show that there is some other limit(s) encountered within the system or the sim. A couple have identified odd behaviour down to certain scenery and AI traffic models. Let me assure everyone that AMs or HT do not cause odd behaviour since these only alter the available CPU count 'apparent' to that app...chaos if it did.

The loading time show the throughput available during gathering new scenery and objects for display shortly in the sim. So when that loading time is optimised that is reflected throughout the run of the simulation. Adding more cores simply loads the system for no extra gain, and pushes out other stuff wanting to gain performance at that very time.

Think of it like a rifle. The gas in the cartridge discharges until it expands no more. If the projectile has still some travel to do down the tube, the friction of the extra travel reduces the ultimate muzzle velocity.

I've also got some new results from a 10 via a PM here. This was more to do with ascertaining HT pairs that might accelerate the loading process and improve the sim performance at the same time. The results show this is easily possible with HT enabled but the pairs are hit and miss. Needs care in the setup but can gain 20% loading performance with the right pairs. Some results show doubling of loading performance but these were suspect due to other circumstances within the system.

CPUs don't run on electrickery, they work down to a mathematical definitions, of which the rules work the same for all systems rigorously.  As always, I'm not directing my posts at any OP's in particular. Often I definitely* include something that OP already knows well - in other words I'm not trying to be patronising in those circumstances. That will happen as I deal with lots of enquiries my posts go out to all readers.

Edited by SteveW