Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Hello from a newbie

Well, I've been simming for the past 10 years, first FSX, then SE and for the past few years P3D. I have to say I love my NGX in P3Dv4, but I am at a cross roads and want to explore some different flying. After my buddy exposed me to his Harrier in DCS and held my hand on a mission, I am hooked! I now have DCS well and truly installed on my 1Tb drive alongside a newly acquired Harrier 2! So I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself and say hi 😊

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Well Done, Howard.I was first well and truly exposed to its potential when I saw the South-West Flightsim Group hosting a stand at RAF Cosford for JF's FlightSim2017, and I bought a few aircraft as a result but have never ever got around to flying the DCS SIm. I have the original A-10 Warthog, etc.

Enjoy exploring new horizons(forgive the pun!)

Harrier eh? Talk about jumping in at the deep end! My first go at DCS ended in a lot of toys being thrown out of the pram, the frustration with control setup drove me nuts.(I know, I haven't recovered) I came back to it a year or so later and I'm hooked. I've bought everything up to just before all that 'HUD' nonsense started.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

36 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

he frustration with control setup drove me nuts.

Precisely why I gave up😠

You should read my book 'Zen, and the art of DCS controls'

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I am a (temporary) refugee from P3D.  About a month ago I bought the F18 for DCS. WOW.  I'm not worried about the combat sim aspect, 'm just trying to learn how to land that sucker on the carrier.  

DCS is easy to load and run, high FPS, magnificent textures and no crashes.  The F18 is study level to the nth degree.  A nice, challenging change.

Lon Duncombe

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vc10man said:

Well Done, Howard.I was first well and truly exposed to its potential when I saw the South-West Flightsim Group hosting a stand at RAF Cosford for JF's FlightSim2017, and I bought a few aircraft as a result but have never ever got around to flying the DCS SIm. I have the original A-10 Warthog, etc.

Enjoy exploring new horizons(forgive the pun!)

Hi Rick, nice to know some friendly faces from P3D are also flying in DCS!

16 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Harrier eh? Talk about jumping in at the deep end! My first go at DCS ended in a lot of toys being thrown out of the pram, the frustration with control setup drove me nuts.(I know, I haven't recovered) I came back to it a year or so later and I'm hooked. I've bought everything up to just before all that 'HUD' nonsense started.

Hi Ron, sure, it might be different other than I have a first hand tutor with my buddy Rich, who is also learning to fly the Harrier. So there is some method to my madness 😉

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Welcome aboard Howard!!!😀

Just so you know DCS is having a $ale til Feb 14,Great time to pick up some Beautiful Aircraft or Terrain at a Fantastic price!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

1 minute ago, Phantom88 said:

Just so you know DCS is having a $ale til Feb 14,Great time to pick up some Beautiful Aircraft or Terrain at a Fantastic price!!

Thanks for that heads-up. Time to buy!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phantom88 said:

Thanks Patrick, sure, I just both the Harrrier. Tell me, what IYO is the best scenery to have. I just have the default scenery at the moment.

• Like 1

Howard

Hello Howard.....I think The NTTR "Nevada" is Excellent ...Huge amount of detail,Tons of Airfields very FPS Friendly,Lots of Campaigns and missions available too,Nellis AFB or The Vega$ Strip would be a Great place to get some Hovering practice in your New Harrier. 😉

The Persian Gulf Map is very nice also,I don't believe it's at the same discount as Nevada for this sale though.

Here's a very nice NTTR Video overview

Edited by Phantom88
added video

Patrick

As my sister lives there and I have been to Nellis AFB, great vid as well as answering Howard's question which also applies to me. Thanks.

I have the Flaming Cliffs but cannot quite recall what aircraft I have in that package so don't want to double up.

Edited by vc10man
  • Like 1

Hello Rick,I think FC Comes with.....

F-15C

A-10A

Su-27

Su-33

Mig-29A

Mig-29S

Su-25

Su-25T

Patrick

2 hours ago, Phantom88 said:

Hello Howard.....I think The NTTR "Nevada" is Excellent ...Huge amount of detail,Tons of Airfields very FPS Friendly,Lots of Campaigns and missions available too,Nellis AFB or The Vega$ Strip would be a Great place to get some Hovering practice in your New Harrier. 😉

The Persian Gulf Map is very nice also,I don't believe it's at the same discount as Nevada for this sale though.

Here's a very nice NTTR Video overview

Thanks for the feedback Patrick, appreciated.

• Like 1

Howard

On 2/9/2019 at 4:46 PM, Rockliffe said:

Well, I've been simming for the past 10 years, first FSX, then SE and for the past few years P3D. I have to say I love my NGX in P3Dv4, but I am at a cross roads and want to explore some different flying. After my buddy exposed me to his Harrier in DCS and held my hand on a mission, I am hooked! I now have DCS well and truly installed on my 1Tb drive alongside a newly acquired Harrier 2! So I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself and say hi 😊

Hi Howard. I have been Sim Flying for many years. Recently I find I am quite engrossed in DCS. They have improved their simulation in leaps and bounds recently. My system is super smooth in DCS ,with consistent and smooth graphics at 60 fps.

I have all the modules and scenery. The upcoming Tomcat looks to be cutting edge in both graphics and AI. Mooted to have a fully integrated AI weapons officer, or RIO. So you get help with Radar, weapons and navigation, as well as more imersion!

If you want a very polished fast jet, that's attracted the interest of the French Air Force, (they say it flies in the sim like it flies in real life) then take a look at the Mirage 2000 C. It's fly by wire and 4th generation. But if you complete all the excellent training missions (duplicated over two regions, Nevada and Caucuses) and then grab the Red Flag Campaign by Baltic Dragon. By the time you complete Red Flag, I guarantee you will be a competent Mirage pilot. Not to mention feeling distinctly French. The Red Flag Campaign uses a huge number of voice actors and the programmer has cleverly integrated correct radio usage for mission accuracy.

Oh, and the Red Flag Campaign costs about the same as a couple of pints of beer!

Have fun, as well as enjoying the challenge of dodging Flak, Missiles and Migs!

Regards

David