Sign in to follow this  
RexGrant

Back after ten years

Hi all

My name is rex grant and due to type of Aphasia I was unable to contiue flying ,But after many years fighting the disorder by training my brain ,the part I reqire basic planes on FSX will now be possible for the 76 year old trooper, I will probebly require the help again to to get the sim running correct. my english in now not what it was so please forgive me for that as my memory is not up to the program brains trust🙃 got an XP computer going and install FS9 2004 and after a while I was flying aroud the west country  Now FSX gold is installed on my quite fast PC and the sim recomendet all sliders on full 😀 I have to get myself a new flightstick and throttle as I have been useind an old Logitech exteme pro but i used to have a Saitek X52 stick and throttle.

Please wish me luck

Best regards

Rex.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Welcome on board, Rex. We are all here to help, as best as we can.

Enjoy.👍

• Like 1

Welcome back Rex!  No worries on the Aphasia, I have Terrets, which makes for great fun when flying on VATSIM nd human air traffic controllers!  They banned me several times because I couldn't help swearing that them, but that's not Terrets, it's just normal for pilots to swear at controllers!

Any who...

I see you're going back to FSX (Disk Version).  We've had some terrific changes while you were away my friend.  One change is DoveTail Games getting a hold of Microsoft Flight Simulation X (FSX) and making some badly needed changes which among other things result in better performance.  This version of FSX is known as FSX Steam and FSX:SE (SE = Steam Edition).  You can often find the Steam Edition (FSX:SE) on sale on Steam for $5!  Additionally, it pretty much self installs for you, so no need to baby sit it (no disks to change, etc.).  When it's installed you basically have FSX Acceleration with all the updates that DoveTail provided us.  You will need to uninstall and then completely remove any existing FSX Disk version folders/files first.

The next change is even bigger.  Lockheed Martin (yep, one of the largest defense contractors in the world) purchased the non-entertainment license for Microsoft for FSX, and they created Prepar3d (often known as P3D).  P3D is currently on version 4.4, and it's now 64-bit sim so one isn't saddled with Out Of Memory Errors (OOMs) as they are with FSX which is a 32-bit sim (thus the 4GB Virtual Address Space Limitation).  The Academic version of P3Dv4.4 is around $60 USD.  All of the FSX guys I've known over the years have switched to P3D, but a heads up that you'll need a system capable of running it (basically a quad core processor that can run at 4.2GHZ, 16GB RAM, and a later graphics card (I don't recommend anything less than an NVIDIA GTX1070 although older cards will certainly work).

There have also been a slew of new products.  I won't cover them as I don't know what types of aircraft you like to fly, but you'll love sorting through all of them regardless of your preference. 

For weather engines... Active Sky remains the best since you were around.  They have also introduced ActiveSkyCloudArt (weather textures) and I also added the weather textures from ENVTEX .  I have and I've spent many long hours comparing all the weather engines and textures for FSX and P3D and let me say that a herd of wild horses could not pull me away from ASCA and ENVTEX.

Finally, back when you left the Shared Cockpit community was really just forming.  Today we have people from around the Globe sharing Flight Decks of airliners and general aviation aircraft. This is usually done by groups devoted to Shared Cockpit (Aerosoft calls this Connected Flight Deck for their aircraft).

Again, welcome back to the community!  I hope the above helps you get started again!

My very best wishes for Happy Flights.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Welcome back 🙂

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Welcome back!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Welcome back! Talking about great changes since you were gone Little Nav Map is freeware and brilliant for visually looking at your entire sim world and planning routes inside it. 

Have fun! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Hello Rex, I am also returning after about 12 years away, if you fancy joining up on a server some time send me a private messege, I like to fly mostly small prop aircraft but will give anything a go once.

Wish you luck Captain Rex! Thank you for your sharing, very touching, see you around the clouds Sir!😉✈️

Welcome back on board!

Best regards, best wishes

Lkn

Welcome back Rex.  The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide might help you get your sim up and running again and answer some of your questions.  See link to guide under Hot Spots in the right sidebar.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10