Sign in to follow this  
lukejw20

Precipit FX effects not showing

Hi. I installed precipitfx, set the scenery detail to high, have the latest version of FSUPIC, have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and using Active Sky. But somehow, the default FSX and P3D rain and snow textures are still there. Is there something else I should be doing? Thanks

I have PrecipitFX.  Have you tried downloading and running the VFXCentral application?  From there, click on PrecipitFX and make sure the correct simulator is highlighted and the options are toggleable.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

7 hours ago, BF Bullpup said:

I have PrecipitFX.  Have you tried downloading and running the VFXCentral application?  From there, click on PrecipitFX and make sure the correct simulator is highlighted and the options are toggleable.

Yes to all of those

How about editing the registry (simulator paths) in the VFXCentral app?  You may have had a new P3D installation or moved it?

Finally toggle on the option to launch VFXCentral when your simulator runs.  VFXCentral is supposed to check the integrity of your files when you start both up.

Other than the above I'm out of ideas.  Try the forum suggested by Charlie.

Edited by BF Bullpup

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

The current registry is ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/FSX. Is that the correct registry?

I am so dumbfounded. Steve's Fixer, FSUPIC registered, installed correctly, tried using active sky next, default textures are STILL there. This is getting beyond a joke and I am determined to find a solution

12 hours ago, lukejw20 said:

The current registry is ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/FSX. Is that the correct registry?

Just point to the correct FSX:SE folder using VFXCentral.  Yes that is the default for most FSX:SE installs assuming your Steam folder is in ProgramFiles(x86).

4 hours ago, lukejw20 said:

I am so dumbfounded. Steve's Fixer, FSUPIC registered, installed correctly, tried using active sky next, default textures are STILL there. This is getting beyond a joke and I am determined to find a solution

I don't think it is an issue with the Fixer and FSUIPC.  One idea I have now is to simply uninstall VFXCentral and then re-install it.  It is possible VFXCentral's rain/snow textures got replaced by default textures when you re-installed FSX:SE or another texture replacement.  The re-install should then force FSX to use PrecipitFX's textures.

I actually keep a list of the order I installed texture add-ons in case I ever need to re-install one or more add-ons, or the whole thing (it happened two years ago).  After default FSX:SE is installed, I installed Steve's DX10 Fixer next.  PrecipitFX comes in second.  I then installed GEX, UTX, and Lights for UT.  Finally I installed my REX add-ons.  I have no issues with the rain/snow textures.  So I hope that helps somehow.

Keep plugging away at the PrecipitFX Support thread.  A lot of developers don't work in the weekend so be patient to get input from them or simmers with more knowledge than I do.

Edited by BF Bullpup

I am happy to say, the effects are working! The rain looks so good and realistic! Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Awesome!  How were you able to fix it in the end?  Enjoy!!!

Just now, BF Bullpup said:

Awesome!  How were you able to fix it in the end?  Enjoy!!!

Well, I think Steve's DX10 fixer did the trick.

Currently flying in the rain from Aktau, Kazakhstan to Almaty, Kazakhstan on the QW752RR in Air Astana livery 😄