Sign in to follow this  
jsmcwilliam

FATAL ERROR

Also, just so we are using the same dataset, did you manually update the magnetic declination and ARTCC/FIR  BGL files as per the fsaerodata instructions? That update won't impact this odd VOXATC error but it cleans up a few more inconsistencies in the P3d4 navigation database.

I can post instructions here on how to do the manual update if you need that.

I usually post here using my cell phone, so I try to wait for longer discussions until I get access to my computer. Here you go.

2019 Magnetic Variation

The default P3d4 file magdec.bgl is located here:

<drive>:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\BASE\Scenery

The fsaerodata should automatically install the new version and rename the old version as magdec.bgl.FSAD

But if for some reason this doesn't happen, then the 2019 version of magdec.bgl is located here:

C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\fsAerodata Files\Navigation Data\MagVar   (C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\ is the actual path of your Windows Documents library)

and can be copied to the ..Scenery\BASE\Scenery folder. This only needs to be done each January.

AIRAC 19xx ARTCC/FIR Frequencies

Similarly, the default P3d4 ARTCC/FIR center comm frequency data file bvcf.bgl is located here:

<drive>:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\World\scenery

The most recent AIRAC version of the file is named fsad_airspace_FIR.BGL and is located here:

C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\fsAerodata Files\Navigation Data\Navaids

If it already hasn't been updated by fsaerodata, rename the original bvcf.bgl file to bvcf.bgl.FSAD. Then copy fsad_airspace_FIR.BGL to ..Scenery\World\Scenery and rename it to bvcf.bgl.

This manual update could be done with each new AIRAC, but generally speaking, center frequencies aren't updated all that often, so skipping a few cycles probably won't hurt anything. The fsaerodata online documentation suggests a few other manual edits that can be made to airport names, but you can read about that on their official forum. Keep in mind that fsaerodata does not update the physical layout of taxiways, gates and runways. That can only be done by either purchasing a 3rd party version of an airport or editing the stock airport with Airport Design editor (ADE). The developer of fsaerodata has previewed an upcoming product that will update all P3d4 airport geometry to the latest real world conditions, but no release date has been announced.

Checked:

1. 2019 Magnetic Variation data

2. AIRAC 19xx ARTCC/FIR Frequencies data

They appear to be installed correctly. Furthermore:

1. When I installed Little NavMap I was asked if I wanted to use the Offline Global elevation data. I did not persue this. Is it important?

2. I will now install my FlyTampa Copenhagen scenery, Orbx Global mm and fly the full EKCH-EGCC plan and let you know how it goes.

3. It will be interesting to see if I VoxATC gives me a descent in time to make my approach to EGCC. Previously it has come too late for me to get down. There was an option mentioned on the forum to change the settings in VoxATC to make this more feasible. Have you any experience of that.

John

1. No, it's not important unless you want to use TOC and TOD while creating a flightplan offline

2. I hope it works but I suspect there's still some factor that we are missing about the departure handoff.

3. I've never had to adjust that setting. One other related item, though. VOXATC expects one to fly the  correct transition altitude for any approach. I remember people complaining about this before.

I have just flown EKCH-EGCC and all went well. I was worried about the TOD coming too late and requested a descent from FL360 at ROVNI. I was only cleared to FL320 and decided to continue down but was immediately told to return to FL320. Later I tried to ask for "lower" and was cleared to FL260 and a DALE1G approach. I had a limit at GOLES of 20,000 ft, however, Vox got me there and the rest of the approach worked perfectly. I will try again and let Vox have its own way to see if this works. I don't know if there is any point in digging deeper into the original issue of the ODN departures from EKCH. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks again for your input - grately appreciated!

John

1 hour ago, jsmcwilliam said:

I don't know if there is any point in digging deeper into the original issue of the ODN departures from EKCH.

I don't think so. There are so many factors at work and some of them may have nothing to do with VOXATC itself. We could spend a lot of time on the issue and not discover anything. The coding and resultant AI in VOXATC is IMO, truly brilliant, but like any AI, it's never quite perfect. I for one would like a bit of personalization and humor on the part of the VOXATC AI (I always expect it to surprise me with either a "good day" or some other informal banter but of course, that never happens.), but adding that element of randomness to the conversation might take just as much effort as that which was put into VOXATC itself.

1 hour ago, jsmcwilliam said:

Vox got me there and the rest of the approach worked perfectly.

I'm glad that you figured that out. I have a similar problem with a Caribbean airport and trying to establish out a workaround is sometimes just as much fun as flying the approach.

I agree - recently I have been spending 80% of my time fixing things and 20 % flying. At the moment I am trying to sort problems with GSX Level 2. On the whole I find VoxATC to be an excellent alternative to online flying but am disappointed in their client support which is almost non existent.

To make GSX 2 work correctly at large numbers of airports requires way too much work, at least for me. What I did was either stick to 3rd party airports with default SODE jetways or add my personally modeled SODE jetway to stock airports (It's possible to modify the demo SODE jetway with not too much work with Photoshop). That way, GSX 2 still handles the user's aircraft, it's just that the airport's own SODE jetway is utilized. With that approach, one also gets the VOXATC aircraft being automatically handled by the SODE jetways.

Where I used to spend my efforts was in maintaining the database of AIG AI aircraft and flight schedules. Now that's been automated by AIG, so I've been freed up from that burden. What's left is correcting airports with ADE, which is time-consuming, but it's not like I'm editing 25,000 airports.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:35 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

I for one would like a bit of personalization and humor on the part of the VOXATC AI (I always expect it to surprise me with either a "good day" or some other informal banter but of course, that never happens.

I have found, that within limits, VoxATC will accept some personalization on your part. For example, you can say, “Thank you” instead of “Roger” after FSS closes or opens your flight plan, and this gets accepted as an appropriate response. 

In Expert mode it is flexible as to user input but it's the ATC output that is still highly structured. This is also the situation with personal assistants like Alexa, but at least Amazon keeps sneaking in random funny responses now and then. Say "Alexa, Goodnight" and she sometimes comes up with responses like "Don't let the bedbugs bite."

• Upvote 1