Looking at upgrade ideas.

Card is a GTX 1070 and a gigabyte board z170x-gamming7  CPU intel R i7 6700 4.00ghz and 32gig of ram.

So last time i upgraded the CPU and mother board about four years ago. And now if anyone could help what would be the best way to go. And the type of flying i do is mostly X plane and GA flying don't go into the big airports much. But i do fly in VR just for take off and landing as it kills your eyes to much.

thanks in advance.

Use this as a starting point, won't go far wrong from there:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hM98cY

Edited by Charlatan
  • Upvote 1

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

On 2/10/2019 at 4:43 AM, shafs67 said:

Looking at upgrade ideas.

Have you considered just overclocking your current CPU (it's still a good processor - you may need a cooler update) and adding a better graphics card?

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

Have you considered just overclocking your current CPU (it's still a good processor

A stock 9700 will destroy a stock 6700 with p3dv4 ....They're not even close. In some situations (and in the right hands) the performance difference could be doubled. And the really cool thing about the 9700 is that it's plug-n-play .....no hyperthreading to deal with and a typical user will have no need to use an affinity mask.

2 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

A stock 9700 will destroy a stock 6700 with p3dv4 ....They're not even close. In some situations (and in the right hands) the performance difference could be doubled.

Based on what? P3D still relies primarily on single thread performance and the single thread IPC of the 6700k, clock-for-clock, is not much different to the 9700k - see the IPC / Single thread chart at https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_9700k_processor_review,7.html. The CPUs are all compared at the same clock speed for that IPC test. If you overclock the 6700k to about 4.7GHz (a common overclock) it shouldn't be too much different to the stock 9700k, performance wise. Even at stock speeds it's hard to see how a 9700k can "destroy" a 6700k in P3D. You may get a little more from the newer chipset and the extra cores but I can't see how you'd get much more than about 25% better performance. I certainly can't see how it's possible to get double the performance unless you're running true multi-threaded software.  Having said that, I don't have a 9700k to directly compare with my 6700k so can't speak from experience. Have you directly compared both CPUs under identical circumstances? If so, I'm happy to accept real data which proves I'm wrong.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

22 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Based on what? P3D still relies primarily on single thread performance and the single thread IPC of the 6700k, clock-for-clock, is not much different to the 9700k - see the IPC / Single thread chart at https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_9700k_processor_review,7.html. The CPUs are all compared at the same clock speed for that IPC test. If you overclock the 6700k to about 4.7GHz (a common overclock) it shouldn't be too much different to the stock 9700k, performance wise. Even at stock speeds it's hard to see how a 9700k can "destroy" a 6700k in P3D. You may get a little more from the newer chipset and the extra cores but I can't see how you'd get much more than about 25% better performance. I certainly can't see how it's possible to get double the performance unless you're running true multi-threaded software.  Having said that, I don't have a 9700k to directly compare with my 6700k so can't speak from experience. Have you directly compared both CPUs under identical circumstances? If so, I'm happy to accept real data which proves I'm wrong.

I walk into a store. On the left, in the clearance section, I see a 6700 on sale for $500. All things being pretty much equal, I see a 9700 on the right for $2500. I am, without a doubt, going take the 9700 -based on all the data, both real and empirical, that is readily available both here and elsewhere. Absolutely no doubt. Don't get lost in your facts, go out and buy one and then come back and tell me that your P3Dv4 experience is only 25% better.

LOL, I saw a 40 to 60%+ boost going from a 4670K to an 8600K. The 4670 isn't that far from the performance level of the 6700 ....based on your logic.

5 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

On the left, in the clearance section, I see a 6700 on sale for $500. All things being pretty much equal, I see a 9700 on the right for $2500. I am, without a doubt, going take the 9700

Of course you are! But you just can't say "all things being pretty much equal" with that price differential. For $500, the 6700k would have an old, slow GPU, slow (and probably less) RAM and probably a basic MB. For $2500, I'd expect something special with high quality components, plenty of fast RAM, a new, fast GPU and a decent manufacturer's CPU overclock.

11 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Don't get lost in your facts, go out and buy one and then come back and tell me that your P3Dv4 experience is only 25% better.

But you don't have a 9700k either so how can you possibly know for sure? Do you think Guru3D's results aren't valid?

12 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

I saw a 40 to 60%+ boost going from a 4670K to an 8600K.

But was that with the same GPU, the same amount and speed of RAM, the same OS (not a fresh install), the CPU running at stock speed with exactly the same apps/antivirus/background processes running whilst using a single thread app? If not, the comparison isn't valid.

But was that with the same GPU, the same amount and speed of RAM, the same OS (not a fresh install), the CPU running at stock speed with exactly the same apps/antivirus/background processes running whilst using a single thread app? If not, the comparison isn't valid.

Oh stop it!

But you don't have a 9700k either so how can you possibly know for sure? Do you think Guru3D's results aren't valid?

I don't have the 9700, but I have played with different AM values on the 8600K and can tell you that it wasn't hard to imagine the value of having the two extra cores the 9700 brings to the table. Look, I just paid $500 to upgrade my 8600K to an 8086 .....I strongly considered the 9900/9700 after those AM tests. Yes, I don't expect you to understand why the $500 on a 8086 .....but, I think it's safe to say I value things in my sim experience that you don't.

-cheers

Sorry i forgot to mention i and running a water cooling at the moment. also watch this video and was surprised that there was not a big difference between them.

9 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

Yes, I don't expect you to understand why the $500 on a 8086 .....but, I think it's safe to say I value things in my sim experience that you don't.

That shows just how little you know about me then! But to a certain extent you're correct - I don't really understand why you'd pay $500 for an 8086k rather than just overclock your 8600k (unless, of course, you're also using it for true multi threaded apps in addition to P3D) - https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8600K/m516988vs3941.

Getting back to the original discussion (9700k vs 6700k), you're not the only person who does research and, just because you interpret it differently from me, it doesn't make you correct. Personally, I'd much rather trust a well-respected review site (Guru3D) with plenty of real, carefully collected data than the best guess of someone without any actual evidence who thinks he knows better. Let's just agree to disagree.

11 hours ago, shafs67 said:

Sorry i forgot to mention i and running a water cooling at the moment. also watch this video and was surprised that there was not a big difference between them.

In reference to the 9900 vs 8700 video you posted. Captured this morning. My 8700 at 1.34v. LLC5, so we get droop to 1.328. Notice the fans? Yeah, the two case fans are stock -the litttle ones- at idle. The fans on the 240mm aio rad are Noctunas .....all but silent. My summertime blend. 🙂 THe captured  HWinfo vitals start on approach into lax. The flight originated from sfo. ambient: 22c

xwsTY1W.pngUkt66zu.png

Edited by FunknNasty
added ambient temp