Sign in to follow this  
503Kento

Silent rather than MFG

When I’m flying my Milviz Beaver (N323KT), Vox calls me as “Silent three two three kilo tango” rather than “De Havilland three two three kilo tango”.  I have looked at all the airplan config files I can find and set the call sign on the vehicle selection screen but can’t seem find the right bit to flip to get Vox to use the manufacturer. 

Can someone point me to the right config file or does Milviz need to fix it?

Thanks 

Kent

i7 4790k @4.7Ghz 32Gb DDR3 1333 RTX 2070 GPU Win10 Pro

"Silent" is the catch-all term inserted by VOXATC when either the airline or aircraft type is for some odd reason unrecognized by VOXATC. I'd start with looking at the various VOXATC XML files for clues. It could be as simple as the term "De Haviland" having a blank in it. Or it could be a minor typo in the Beaver's aircraft.cfg file. I don't have a copy of the Milviz Beaver so I can't experiment. Did you try adding the Beaver via the aircraft panel utility and rerunning the Indexer?

Take a look at the file NameProcessor.xml in the appdata VOXATC folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Internal Workings\VoxATC P3D 4. It has one correction:

<NameProcessorItem Original="bombardier" Replacement="lear" />

My experience with these pronunciation corrections in this file is that they only work with VoxPop voices. However, if you use Ivona voices, they have their own pronunciation lexicon editor, so that is also a possible option. Why VOXATC doesn't like "De Havilland" though, is strange. The only other thought that I had is to try changing the ATC Callsign format in the VOXATC Settings utility.

Thanks Jay, I’ll take a look at your suggestions. Interestingly, the Aerosoft Beaver does not suffer from the same issue so I don’t think it’s a pronunciation issue unless Milviz has mucked something up somewhere. 

Kent

Also, try changing the aircraft manufacturer to something less than the present 12 characters. I just noticed that one of the other GA AI aircraft that I have that is interpreted as "silent" has a ui_manufacturer= line that is 12 characters long also. Some commercial aircraft have manufacturer names that are long (for example McDonnell Douglas), but they don't show up as "Silent" because VOXATC uses the atc_airline= line to create the call sign and those airline codes may not be limited in length in VOXATC. I'm just guessing here, so let me know what you find out.

1 minute ago, 503Kento said:

Thanks Jay, I’ll take a look at your suggestions. Interestingly, the Aerosoft Beaver does not suffer from the same issue so I don’t think it’s a pronunciation issue unless Milviz has mucked something up somewhere. 

Upload the aircraft.cfg file to a cloud-based website like Dropbox and send me the link, so I can look at the file.

Solved it.  Not sure why I didn't see it before but I guess I was looking at the wrong part of aircraft.cfg.  I made the change and had no effect until I ran the VoxATC indexer.  It's possible on my previous attempts, I skipped that step as well.

Original:

[General]
atc_type=Silent
atc_model=DHC2

Fixed:

[General]
atc_type=deHavilland
atc_model=DHC2

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Jay.

Kent

That's actually funny. How'd the atc_type get set to silent in the first place? I've never seen that before. Does the default ATC ignore it and not display an aircraft type in the callsign? This sounds like it could be some FSX trivia.

Edited by jabloomf1230

Yea, I was surprised to find it too, I expected it to be blank, not the actual word.  I can’t recall how default ATC handled but I don’t remember silent being in the mix.

Kent

I don't think that it has anything to do with your situation, but the various military, teams, squadrons, groups etc. have their own call signs. Is there one called "SILENT"? Nope, but there is this one:

SILENT WARRIOR , Associated with the USS George Washington Carrier Warfare Group

Interesting, thanks for the factoid. 😀

Kent