Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Has Orbx abandonded FSX and P3Dv3?

I'm asking this question here because I've been banned from the Orbx fourm.  I can read the posts but I can't post or respond to anything.  The wages of a sin and all that.

I see a new North American airport has been released for Sun Valley Idaho.  But it's only for P3Dv4.

I have P3Dv4 installed but I also have P3Dv3 installed because of the vast collection of FSX and even FS2004 aircraft that work in the Orbx worlds of FSX and P3Dv3 but won't even show up in P3Dv4.  One of my favorites is the PMDG Beech B1900CandD for FS2004.  I fly it from time to time inP3Dv3.

It would be a shame if all the new Orbx releases are only going to be for post FSX-P3Dv3 sims.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

28 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I'm asking this question here because I've been banned from the Orbx fourm.  I can read the posts but I can't post or respond to anything.  

I have a membership there but rarely if ever visit their forums, so I don’t know.

However, I’d you can read their forums you’d probably be able to see posts by John or he staff saying what they are doing even if you can’t reply or post.

I wouldn’t doubt that they will be moving on from FSX or earlier versions of P3D so that they can exploit what v4 and beyond have to offer due to the difficulty in have to develop and support too many different sims/versions.

I think that the True Earth series are only for V4 due to needing the 64bit overhead but not sure about individual airports.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I don’t know official policy on this from orbx but you can expect most developers to go this route. 

Flytampa and turbulent designs (now publishing under orbx banner) already stated that any new developments would be v4 only moving forward. 

64 bit is the way forward. 

I'm an old man twisting in the wake turbulence of century rapidly leaving me behind.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

26 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

I don’t know official policy on this from orbx but you can expect most developers to go this route. 

Flytampa and turbulent designs (now publishing under orbx banner) already stated that any new developments would be v4 only moving forward. 

64 bit is the way forward. 

Agreed.  Mostly because for scenery addons the VAS is a serious issue in 32 bit sims....  in other words the old 32bit sims couldn't handle the higher res textures crippling the 4GB virtual address space limit.  This is no factor in 64bit sims.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Noel,

Have you not logged in?  That has happened to me several times and I wasn't logged in.

I know what you mean about an "old guy just twisting in the wake turbulence".

Tom

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

I'm an old man twisting in the wake turbulence of century rapidly leaving me behind.

Noel

Hi Noel,

I can understand your frustration with the stark realities of truth, time and troubles. In my case I can not refuse to let go old technologies that have been bypassed by better replacements anymore than I can roll back the years of my body being ravaged by time.

I can however enjoy the new sceneries, aircraft and improvements as much as someone a quarter my age. In fact most of us old guys can take our proven survival skills and enormous experience and abilities and apply them better than we ever could.

Come on Noel, load up your P3Dv4.4, convert over whatever old stuff you can and delete and leave the rest behind. Acquire a few new 64 bit planes and fun places to fly with weather and traffic and have the time of your life.

Leave the dead old century behind and reach out to the even more wonderful hobby unfolding in front of us. Enjoy the best simulation equipment, options and immersive flight simulation the world has ever offered, right here and right now. 

When in a steep dive pile on the power, pull up the nose and head for the sky and enjoy the thrill in the pit of your stomach! As long as there is life, there is the joy of flight simulation as real as it gets! 

Keep going, catch up and leap ahead, at least one more time! Come on!

Kindest regards old friend, :cool:

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

Edited by SpiritFlyer
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Hi Noel,

I can understand your frustration with the stark realities of truth, time and troubles. In my case I can not refuse to let go old technologies that have been bypassed by better replacements anymore than I can roll back the years of my body being ravaged by time.

I’m not that old but still like to write using a pen and paper, lol. Heck I still read my books the old fashioned way, paper and ink with no battery to go dead.

People at the bank look at me funny when I walk in to use the teller to cash a check. You can do that at the ATM they say, but what if I want human interaction, the ATM can’t provide that!

I guess I’m still kind of old school for a young guy. Granted I take advantage of tech but sometimes doing stuff the old fashioned way is not any harder or more time consuming than doing it the new, high tech way.

• Like 5

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This is no factor in 64bit sims.

Ah yes, but I wonder if someday it will be a factor?  It's known that the 64-bit simulators handle things much, much better than FSX or FS2004, but I suspect the developers...seeing an open-ended market...will throw more and more "eye-candy" in to the pool to get that guy or gal "on the fence" to buy their scenery.  Girls waving goodbye from customized terminal interior shots, the guy in 16C who keeps getting up to go to the Loo.  Purchase by download an in-flight movie to watch from a selectable cabin seat while "Otto" gets you to Dubai.  Firefighters practicing crash response with realistic looking flames pouring from the practice hull in the "pit".  Pretty soon, you'll all be singing the same song we are and trying to come up with your own version of a "flux capacitor" to power up and go bigger, better, farther, higher with an Intel i21 octa-core and a nuclear power supply.  If it starts to hum better head for the hills... LOL.  And the Devs know you'll buy it...we're all hooked in one form or another, be it 32-bit, 64-bit, FSX, FS2004, xPlane11.  The Devs see potential and they will tap it, regardless of how it works on your system.

Randy

Edited by Ramjett

There is a TON of 32 bit stuff still available from OrbX. I mean they are not going to stop you buying it are they? I have everything they made and it all works fine in good old FSX. I dont care if they never make another 32 bit airport, I have enough for a lifetime! I WOULD be annoyed if regions and landclass came out only for 64 bit though. Again, though, they will be cutting of a huge swath of the market if they turned their backs on the 'entertainment' market. I give it 3/7 years before they won't touch 32 bit again.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

One of the problems is that FSX users see what`s coming to 64bit like KORD and want the same when they already have the airport and as the developer has said it cannot be done in 32bit, developers have put as much detail as they dare in 32bit and with users demanding higher detailed airports and scenery they are left with only one option 64bit.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

11 hours ago, birdguy said:

I see a new North American airport has been released for Sun Valley Idaho.  But it's only for P3Dv4.

KSUN is done by Turbulent who long ago stated they were stopping all 32-bit (FSX P3D2/3) development.  They're committed to bringing some of the newer features available in the v4 SDK to their sceneries and frankly I think that's great.

The Turbulent guys are not the only ones taking this path.  Change isn't always pleasant, but in this case I applaud what they're trying to do.

Scott

8 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I WOULD be annoyed if regions and landclass came out only for 64 bit though.

I think you can stop worrying about that.  If you look at the recent offerings it appears that ORBX has already abandoned regions and landclasses for TrueEarth.

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

6 minutes ago, airernie said:

I think you can stop worrying about that.  If you look at the recent offerings it appears that ORBX has already abandoned regions and landclasses for TrueEarth.

Not completely. Australia 2.0 will be LC-based, and I am sure this one will not be abandoned.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Just now, pmb said:

Not completely. Australia 2.0 will be LC-based, and I am sure this one will not be abandoned.

Kind regards, Michael

Good to hear that then.. I don't really care about regions, but I do like the land class enhancements to my Global.

Ernest Pergrem