Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Shocked at upgrade!

Hi

I'm looking at the upgrade to v4.4, which I only learnt about yesterday! The instructions for ungrade is to first uninstall the current version I have on my machine :

To install the Prepar3D v4.4 Client, you must first uninstall the previous Prepar3D v4.0/v4.1/v4.2/v4.3 Client through Programs and Features in Windows Control Panel. Do not deactivate your license when prompted.

My worry is the amount of time it will take to uninstall all of my addons, then v4.3; then do all in reverse but with v4.4 install first. It's that what needs to be done - an entire 'clean up' then install with the new version

Gaz

Spoiler

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

I suggest you update the client only. that's what I did and cleared out the shader cache before restarting P3D. it's well documented here (somewhere). you won't have to uninstall/reinstall everything else. the other 4.4 packages are optional and can wait until you have a week with nothing to do 😉

Edited by jpf

24 minutes ago, Gary McCluskey said:

It's that what needs to be done - an entire 'clean up' then install with the new version

No, you don't have to uninstall and reinstall all your addons.

P3Dv4 consists of three 'components' -- client, content and scenery. Each of these components can be uninstalled/reinstalled and generally should not affect your addons (with the exception of Orbx who steadfastly continue to refuse to comply with the SDK -- in this case because they insist on modifying core P3D files, if you update the scenery module then clearly some of the Orbx files will get overwritten and you will need to reinstall).

Updating P3Dv4 is mostly very straightforward and painless -- uninstall the old client, install the new one, carry on!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, but that's sounds really bad news. It doesn't really matter if its one of the modules, or all of them - if one needs reinstalling, do the addons? .

Unfortunately, mine does include quite a lot of Orbx. 

6 minutes ago, skelsey said:

carry on

When you say that, I get the impression you mean to carry on doing reinstalls, rather than using p3d? (I have to admit, I don't know the difference between components).

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Right in your quote from LM, it doesn't mention to uninstall the whole thing, just the client and maybe the content if you feel so inclined (really a no-brainer as it only takes a couple more minutes).

As mentioned above, your addons won't be harmed.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 minute ago, Dave_YVR said:

Right in your quote from LM

Noted. 

If the addons that are already installed won't be harmed, will that definitely include Orbx? skelsey suggested it would. 

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

Its a 5 min job to upgrade the client only. Follow this guild here in the P3D tips and tricks. No you don't have to uninstall anything else or re-install anything else. 20 mins max.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Gary,

I uninstalled P3D client, installed 4.4 client, deleted my shader cache, and P3D.cfg, ran the Orbx library updater in FTX Central, and all was good. No reinstall of Orbx scenery.

A couple of weeks later I saved a backup of the P3D default Beechcraft aircraft, uninstalled P3D content, installed P3D 4.4 content, replaced the default Beechcraft aircraft I had backed up, deleted my shader cache, and P3D.cfg, ran the Orbx library updater in FTX Central, and all was good. No reinstall of Orbx scenery.

Finally, about 2 weeks ago I uninstalled P3D scenery, installed 4.4 scenery, deleted my shader cache, and P3D.cfg, ran the Orbx library updater in FTX Central, and all was good. No reinstall of Orbx scenery.

I don't think I spent more than a cumulative hour for the entire process above.

Just do the client first and delete you shader cache and P3D config., run the Orbx library updater in FTX Central, and you're done. If you want to do content and/or scenery, do it later after you've had a chance to make sure all is good with the new client.

Kind Regards,

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

I do not know where everyone gets the idea they have to uninstall all their add-ons.  Lockheed made it pretty simple with making xml files for all add-ons and placing the xml's in the C:\Documents\Prepar3DV4 folder.  You can now move to another computer without reinstalling your add-ons.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

I do not know where everyone gets the idea they have to uninstall all their add-ons.  Lockheed made it pretty simple with making xml files for all add-ons and placing the xml's in the C:\Documents\Prepar3DV4 folder.  You can now move to another computer without reinstalling your add-ons.

I used to be a programmer, and now I'm not and had to take years out of IT work and using sims. If you'd gone through the same thing you may understand the days when they switched to using XML. 

The instructions manual, pointed out to me today, does say that some of my addons need reinstalling after the client update. 

Edited by Gary McCluskey
  • Upvote 1

Gaz on Facebook

Okay,

I give up...many have offered experience from ACTUALLY updating to v4.4, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

Kind Regards,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

23 minutes ago, Gary McCluskey said:

The instructions manual, pointed out to me today, does say that some of my addons need reinstalling after the client update. 

There are a few add-on programs that have a direct hook into P3D and will need updating to work with any new version on P3D. The 3 that come to mind are, "Chaseplane", "Active Sky", and "FSUIPC".  If you use any of these, you will need the latest version for it to work with P3Dv4.4.  

Chaseplane should have already auto updated for you already, if you use that program. The other two you can download the lastest versions. 

If you just update your "client" portion of P3D, it will not affect any add-on scenery or aircraft. 

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

3 hours ago, Gary McCluskey said:

When you say that, I get the impression you mean to carry on doing reinstalls, rather than using p3d?

No, carry on using P3D!

Re: Orbx -- as others have mentioned it is less a full reinstall and more a run FTX central and let it put back anything that got overwritten (probably no need if you just do the client update, but if you do scenery and/or content you may need to)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Buffy Foster said:

Honestly, it couldn't have been easier and quicker to update.

Agreed. I have found problems, such as with Active Sky and the Flight Ultimate Traffic - but very easy to fix. I have not tried GSX yet. 

Gaz on Facebook