Sign in to follow this  
Pastalucci

No Flaps landing?! How to...

Hello community, I have a question. Let's say you want to simulate a malfunctions of the flaps, and you will need to land with the flaps retracted. 

How can I calculate my Vapproach speed? In the FMC we have the options for the regular configuations, 15, 30 and 40.

Thank you.  

The QRH (series of checklists for abnormal procedures) directs you to apply an additive to a Vref already calculated by the FMC.

For a trailing edge flaps up (leading edge devices extended) landing, that additive is VREF 40 + 40kts.

For an all flaps up landing, that additive is VREF 40 + 55kts.

• Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley

You would need to reference the QRH.

In there you should find a "Landing with flaps or slats retracted" non-normal checklist (or similar), which amongst other things will direct you to the non-normal configuration landing distance table and provide an increment to Vref30 to use for landing.

Edit: snap!

It is rather fast! I would also note it directs you to look at the brake cooling schedule, the numbers are pretty large! 

In real life, you would certainly expect the AFF to be on station ready to douse the undercarriage with foam. 

As a thoughts bubble, remember the reason they don't operate may also affect speed brake deployment, both manual or auto, and anti-skid as well.

Not only that but reverser deployment may be adversely affected too. Just how bad a day do you want? 🙂

• Like 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Thank you for all the replies. I did a vref + 55, and it was veeeery fast. But it was fun to try. 

Edited by Pastalucci

On 3/4/2019 at 3:49 AM, Pastalucci said:

Thank you for all the replies. I did a vref + 55, and it was veeeery fast. But it was fun to try. 

Have you tried an engine out fully loaded return to takeoff airport yet (with complete loss of hydraulics of course) ? No fuel dumping in the 737.. 

🙂

Plenty of fun to be had in this plane! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

19 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

Have you tried an engine out fully loaded return to takeoff airport yet (with complete loss of hydraulics of course) ? No fuel dumping in the 737.. 

🙂

Plenty of fun to be had in this plane! 

No yet, seems like fun. I have to print that section of the QRH and will give it a try.