Sign in to follow this  

After months of reading, configuring, trial and error and much frustration I believe I have my eight GoFlight modules up and running. Thought I would pass along some of what I experienced, what worked and what didn’t.

I was fortunate to have bought a PCI-E 5 port USB 2.0 expansion card in July 2017 when I began this GoFlight modules path. I was made by Syba, I bought it off Amazon for $30.54, and am I glad I did. In the end it is now running two 166’s, my MPC PRO, EFIS and my GF 46. All appear to be working fine as far as I can tell. All I have now is dashes on the MCP panel but I do believe it is functioning. The GF46 is functioning in my default aircraft, CRS, Heading, both radios, ADF and DME all work as advertised. The two 166’s work in both default aircraft and the 737NGX. The Syba card is no longer available. I see some for PCI, but not PCI-E.

Of note, neither of the 166’s nor the GF46 would work, at all, on any hub I tried. I went through five, D-Link, Pluggable, Anker; all built for USB 2.0 yet none of them would power the 166’s nor the GF-46.

I installed one at a time, making sure it was recognized in GoFlight config software, then brought up both a default aircraft and then the 737NGX. Check for functionality. Power down; install next module, repeat. Nearly three full days of SLOWLY installing each module, one at a time, testing, swapping out, checking power management, etc.

The GF-T8-2 is plugged into one of the two USB 2.0 ports on the back of my Asus Hero IX MB. The two GF-P8’s are on the Plugable Hub which is plugged into the other USB 2.0 port.
I’m learning LINDA for my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Throttle and Crosswinds. Default aircraft all set up, will start next to assign axes and buttons for the 737NGX. I might have some more learning to do for the FSUIPC 737NGX throttle setup but I believe I can begin the controls setup process now.

I do believe serious progress has been made. It is really nice to see eight functioning GoFlight modules all lit up and ready for the journey.

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by Radial9

Bob,

I’ve got 2xGF166, 2xT8, 1xP8 and 1xLGT. All plugged into the hub listed below. All units work fine. I can’t think why you could be having problems.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powered-Charging-Smartphones-including-Orico/dp/B0725WHBX6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1546874801&sr=8-13&keywords=powered+usb+hub

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

Not sure I will ever know. Can only convey what happened. Some thoughts run along the lines of you having older modules and mine were purchased recently? Might not have anything to do with it at all. It’s interesting the USB hub you reference makes note of one 2.4A fast charging port, but does not disclose, as far as I could see, what the amps are supplied to each USB port. The same model is not available on this side of the pond from Amazon. The Plugable hub I tried states 5.0A to each port, which should be sufficient. Might be different motherboard specs or settings too. I set all my BIOS settings to the suggested settings derived from other GoFlight module user’s experiences.

They’re up and running. I’m still slowly configuring LINDA and button/switches for my TM HOTAS and throttle. I was able to get the axes for the 737NGX, which is where I’m going with all this, working. The 737 is taxiing nice too, which was another concern.

Just taking it slow and documenting everything. So far I’m making good progress. I really don’t know yet, not having flown jets, what buttons I’m going to find I need repeated access to, and what will be occasional use. Of note: I was quite pleased to see my T8-2 and both GFp8’s come up in LINDA as controllers. While the LINDA developers state GOFlight is not supported, it looks like a few folks are using them with LINDA. It opens up 16 push buttons and 8 toggle switches. They are probably referring to the MCP and EFIS modules. I will learn/use Pollypot’s GIT for those.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,

You appear to be up and running which is the main thing. Pity that USB hub is not available over there. The main thing with USB is of course, making sure power management allow sleep option is disabled for all of them. And USB3 is a no-no for a lot of FS hardware sadly.

I've added my GoFlight MCP Pro and EFIS unit to the hub yesterday. Until I can install GIT I can't use them for the PMDG737 but the MCP worked okay with an aircraft using the standard a/p.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather