Sign in to follow this  
EmpireKicking

Good FSX Resolution!

I always wan to improve FSX even more but focus on able to fly to location without low FPS. Last night I did an good flight other then taken off at LAX to YOW and at those airports I had very bad low FPS of under 5 to the point that it was not easy to to takeoff and land but as soon as I left and at FL30 it was around 20 to 30 FPS (FPS set to 40).  

Resolution is set to 2560x1440  and it looks very very good but AS FSX is an darn 32 bit 4GB memory and at times as pain what Resolution would it run better on. 

I don't think that changing your resolution will have a great affect, but in any case, I use 1360x768x32 on my screen.  That's also the Windows resolution.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Try setting it to 1600 x 900 x16 and lock it at half your screen's refresh rate.  You might be surprised.

8 hours ago, EmpireKicking said:

I always wan to improve FSX even more but focus on able to fly to location without low FPS. Last night I did an good flight other then taken off at LAX to YOW and at those airports I had very bad low FPS of under 5 to the point that it was not easy to to takeoff and land but as soon as I left and at FL30 it was around 20 to 30 FPS (FPS set to 40).  

Resolution is set to 2560x1440  and it looks very very good but AS FSX is an darn 32 bit 4GB memory and at times as pain what Resolution would it run better on. 

It depends on your hardware and, to a lesser extent, the add-ons your using. I run FSX at 2560 x 1440 at fairly high settings without problems but I would suggest that anything below my system specs (see below) would need to make at least some, and perhaps many, compromises. What hardware do you have?

6 hours ago, RayHff said:

Try setting it to 1600 x 900 x16

If his monitor is 2560 x 1440, running at your suggested setting might improve framerates but would look terrible. Using any resolution other than that which is native to your monitor always looks a little fuzzy but using a resolution which is not even a factor of the native resolution will look even worse (unless running in a window, of course).

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

12 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Snip

Did some tweaks to the fsx.cfg and made improvements, not much but better then nothing. Able to be in LAX with little more FPS (From 5 to 10-15 FPS) and the textures are loading in faster and more clearly. Still running on high and at 2560 x 1440. It does look so bad if I change it down to the point that the cockpit is unreadable. Aerosoft a320 pack also does tend to drag FPS lower. 

Not the best hardware, GPU is an 680 rip me!!!

Edited by EmpireKicking

I'm surprised it's playable at all with a GTX 680 at that resolution. What CPU are you using?

Try the Avsim FSX Config Guide - https://www.avsim.com/files/file/41-avsim-basic-fsx-configuration-guide/

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Dial back your screen resolution, I suspect your video card is simply not capable of rendering such high resolution images.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

1 hour ago, EmpireKicking said:

Changing the resolution doesn't make any difference at all.. I have and just the same FPS 

You will need to try and dial back those scenery detail sliders in GRAPHICS settings if you haven't already. They make a huge difference fps when your pc is struggling. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Just now, sloppysmusic said:

You will need to try and dial back those scenery detail sliders in GRAPHICS settings if you haven't already. They make a huge difference fps when your pc is struggling. 

I have it set to 30FPS and using Steve's DX10 fixer and the scenery details is set to medium and when flying sky hign or even at low details airports  I'm able to stick with stable FPS at 28 to 30 FPS. When I use Aerosoft  and or at airports with high details then it goes down to 15 FPS... Since I Spent good amount of time doing tweaks it was low as 5 FPS before LOL so from low as 5FPS to 15 FPS is an big difference.     

Yes 15fps is the important low figure for me. Once I pass that I'm good, any lower and it's unusable. Glad you having some success now!

🙂

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

28 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Yes 15fps is the important low figure for me. Once I pass that I'm good, any lower and it's unusable. Glad you having some success now!

🙂

That's why at times when I fly I tend to keep away from airports that will make my sim to have low FPS as it's not easy to fly when it's lagging so badly but 15 FPS is playable I should say