Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

RNAV Approaches in Quality Wings Avro RJ70

Can the Quality Wings Avro RJ handle RNAV approaches? If so, how do I set this up for descent? I note that there is a GPS button between the VOR/LOC and APP buttons. Do I use this for RNAV approaches? I want to be able to get the aircraft to descend at a controlled rate for final approach.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Good question, asked, Christopher. I too would like to know this, May egg me on to wheel that QW BAe 146 out of the hangar😀

Fairly sure the GPS button is for non-FMC users to make it follow a default FS flight plan and isn’t in the real Avro. 

Thr Avro has VNAV, iirc. You should be able to use VNAV to manage your descent rate, as well as LNAV for your lateral path. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

The VNAV approach the ARJ airplanes can fly are of the former standard used up until recently, without IAN or LPV type capability. And no RNP/ANP for lateral nav. Basically the same capability 1980s era Boeing had up until they were very recently retrofitted with newer FMCs.

So VNAV approaches are flown as a VNAV/LNAV coupled approach on the ARJ aircraft aka a GPS RNAV Approach. Ensure/verify that the altitude constraints are correctly set in the FMC after selecting the approach and set the MCP for Minimums or the FAF altitude. This will give you vertical guidance from the STAR, IAF and down to the Final Approach Fix. At the FAF VNAV should be disconnected as there is no Map Waypoint to follow the 3 degree angle down to the runway automatically and the ARJ is not IAN capable like a modern Boeing or Airbus, so the minimum will be higher. These are 1980s era airplanes through and through.

Ignore the GPS button, that button has no function (Only for Beginners) unless the airplane is changed from the default realistic mode to lite mode which allows less proficient users to do things such as use the default gps/flightplanner for lateral navigation instead of the FMC.

The legacy BAe models, including the Hybrid -300 model only have an advisory VNAV provided by the FMS (if the perf data is configured) and the descent rate has to be controlled manually by the A/P pitch datum or a fixed V/S rate hold... the full VNAV and full authority A/T is only available on the ARJ models. So BAe can't fly VNAV or a VNAV approach automatically all the way down without precise manual planning and control, a lot more fun if you as me 🙂

Edited by American 833 Heavy
  • Upvote 1

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

So, if I select the RNAV35 approach into LGKR Corfu, I need to set everything up as you have indicated above?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

14 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

LGKR Corfu,

Is that FT's airport, Christopher? Have most of their stuff but not this one. What's it like. A good representation of Corfu as I have flown there many a time, on vacations?

Edited by vc10man
punctuation

I have never been to Corfu in the real world, but this scenery is very good indeed (as you would expect from FlyTampa). The entire island is super detailed (including the airport), and framerates on my mediocre PC are excellent.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

30 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I have never been to Corfu in the real world, but this scenery is very good indeed (as you would expect from FlyTampa). The entire island is super detailed (including the airport), and framerates on my mediocre PC are excellent.

Thanks for that endorsement, Christopher. Want that one and St Maarten too. Hoping for their sales, fingers crossed🤣