Sign in to follow this  
sloppysmusic

Manual landing altitude - how to actually set?

Please don't groan! I'm working through all the FCOMS like a good boy. This topic has been opened before but my question is more about practical usage. I know AUTO is default but if you choose MAN and press the button you get the message LANDING ALT on the EICAS but then what? The wheel below has a tool tip and certainly turns but you cannot see what you are setting. I reckon that the cross hatched ground bar is probably moving but this is way out of sight at cruise or descent. The only way you would see it is if you at very low altitude or the actual airfield doing touch and goes.

Is there SUPPOSED to be a digital readout somewhere so IF you had to use manual you could actually set a figure? At the moment I could only see a practical use for this option if you were doing touch and goes and after correctly setting QNH you were still showing above or below ground on the altitude tape. At which point I'd probably not want to proceed! 

Excuse this minor , very minor question, but you guys seem to have simulated it and put it in the FCOM so I'm testing it out.

Also, if you use AUTO like we all do anyway is there anywhere you can check in the FMS what the plane has decided the LA is going to be? Same question would apply to 777 also when on AUTO.

Thanks!

😄

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Hi Russell,

The manually-set landing altitude will (should) appear on the bottom of the upper EICAS screen when you change the LANDING ALT selector to MANUAL.

Used when directed by the QRH, normally in the event of a failure affecting the automatic pressurisation controller (or the ability of the pressurisation controller to know what the elevation of the arrival airfield is).

It has nothing to do with the 'ground' level shown on the PFD altitude tape.

Edit: further, the automatically-selected landing altitude is displayed on the bottom of the upper EICAS when you select the ECS synoptic on the lower EICAS.

• Like 1

Simon,

that's brilliant thanks! I see both AUTO and manual CFG altitudes exactly where you said below CABIN ALT. Before I just thought that was the required cabin PRESSURE at landing but now I see it is literally the landing altitude. All I have to figure out now if I ever use it is how on earth to rotate the dial on upper overhead while looking at the EICAS window at the same time without opening another window. Do you happen to know what the system function is/offset? Not important although always cool to manually do something that someone has taken the time to model in this beauty! Actually opening another window temporarily might be the best solution after all..

Thanks again!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

38 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

All I have to figure out now if I ever use it is how on earth to rotate the dial on upper overhead while looking at the EICAS window at the same time without opening another window.

To be fair, on the actual plane, you would probably just grab the knob and rotate it whilst looking at the EICAS. A little hard to do this in the simulator.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

To be fair, on the actual plane, you would probably just grab the knob and rotate it whilst looking at the EICAS. A little hard to do this in the simulator.

Exactly my point! Bit awkward in the sim this one..

😄

Edited by sloppysmusic

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK