Sign in to follow this  
MPatrickW

my new i7 9700k is worse!!?

Yes you can do that, although generally a better result is to re-install windows to remove the extra baggage.

I've actaully updated my hardware three times (complete new motherboard, CPU, GPU etc.) for this single install of Windows7 that I have.

Can be a little complex though, have to be ready with drivers and then there is the enevitable cleanup via Device Manager (in show disconnected hardware mode) of old hardware related to the old motherboard and drivers etc.

If you know what you're doing it is a perfectly viable way to do it, but a little time consuming and can be prone to requiring a degree of troubleshooting.

Windows even has a sysprep tool for preparing an image based install that will basically install itself on hardware of choice and some backup applications also feature the ablity to automate the process of moving a backup image to new hardware.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

i also did that no issiues. 

windows 10 can handle that prety well. 

i was realy surprised when i did it the first time.

only if you have tools from morherboard manufacturer installed like ram drive or other things the have issiues.

but windows does a realy good job.

Edited by 331BK
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

I ported things over during my last upgrade out of laziness- and I regret it.  Weeks of performance issues, random bugs and all kinds of headaches.  My advice, do a fresh install of everything and eliminate the risks.

I have the same CPU and motherboard as yours with a RTX 2070 and 16Go RAM. I have no stutter and P3D works like a charm. I can fly the FSlabs A320 with almost 30 FPS and complex graphic settings.

I also agree with vgbaron about a full OS and P3D install.

Guys, when he really simply ported everything over to the new hardware, the most probable reason for his issues is once more the shaders. He should delete them and rebuild them.

Besides that, I also upgraded my hardware without a re-installation of Windows 10. But with the correct work done BEFORE switching hardware, that is uninstallation of all drivers related to the hardware that was replaced. Worked like a charm.

If the topic starter did not do this, he has now a full mess on his rig. No wonder performance is bad...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

5 hours ago, vgbaron said:

If I understand your process correctly - you just plugged the OLD system drive into the new system - you are lucky that it even booted up.

You will need to wipe and reinstall the OS and everything else. I suggest uninstalling P3D and anything else that may keep registration info.

Take it step by step - there is no quick solution to your issue.

Vic

The only sensible advise here!

André

The likely reason the upgrade succeeded by simply swapping the old system drive into new hardware is because, beginning with the Windows 10 v1607 Anniversary update, Microsoft introduced elements of "OneCore", the realization of its long-standing WindowsEverwhere strategy to merge its server, desktop, gaming and mobile OSs.

A significant feature of OneCore is further modularization and containerization of the kernel with the benefit that more low level device drivers can be relinked by Windows without requiring a reinstallation of the OS. Now a major motherboard/cpu change is more likely to be handled as gracefully as, say, a change of video card.

But personally I'd still be doing a fresh OS install rather than rely upon this new capability.

Did the OP benchmark the performance of their old and new PCs with programs other than Prepar3D... such as Cinebench, 3DMark, Prime95 etc? If these other programs are ok then the problem is limited to Prepar3D and, as others have suggested above, delete the shader cache (and probably all the other P3D autogenerated files using the link titled "delete generated files" in the Prepar3D main folder).

• Like 1

Thank-you guys, very much appreciated. I'm going to do a whole new rebuild and a clean install of everything, Win 10, P3D + scores of add-ons and wiping all four SSDs, no matter how long it takes.  Frustrating, the stupid mistakes I've made, but hey, it's called experience....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MPatrickW said:

Thank-you guys, very much appreciated. I'm going to do a whole new rebuild and a clean install of everything, Win 10, P3D + scores of add-ons and wiping all four SSDs, no matter how long it takes.  Frustrating, the stupid mistakes I've made, but hey, it's called experience....

And we all love to hear from you again when you are settled with the new system as many of us still dreams :-)

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

MPatrickW,

One thing you haven't mentioned (I don't think) is what clock rate (Ghz) you are running the 9700K at. Unless you specifically overclock it, it may be running at only 3.6 Ghz instead of something higher - like 5Ghz . I have the same chip and went to siliconlottery.com to pay a few more dollars for a 5.0 Ghz version that they have already tested. You may not be able to go that fast, but you should try. What Ghz did your old CPU run at?

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

8 hours ago, MPatrickW said:

you be best off with a nice clean install of everything when you put in a new mobo , cpu,  correct chipset and and a good overclock. 

If you spend the time and money upgrading why not spend a few days installing a nice clean new system. 

But I'm sure someone with be along in a minute to tell you they once put their pc through a combine harvester and put some jam on the side of the case, then got their cat to lick it a few times, and then all they did was update the client.exe from 4.3 to 4.4",  deleted thier shaders, put a bit more jam on the other side of the case, called the cat again, and then they where up and running with a flawlessly stutter free pc landing into Heathrow with 396 fps. 

Then ask them 'oh that sounds lovely, any chance of a video or a stream, then miraculously fraps or obs isn't installed' 

Edited by tooting
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

8 hours ago, MPatrickW said:

No need to wipe all four SSDs... Only the OS boot drive!

Bert

6 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

No need to wipe all four SSDs... Only the OS boot drive!

Is your prepard installation on the same ssd as the OS drive?? 

Registry issues come into mind here. 

A few addons (active sky for a start) are going to see the new bios and will ask to put your serial in again. 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

On 2/15/2019 at 4:44 AM, Avidean said:

I agree with vgBaron. I am surprised that your system booted to windows given that you essentially took the system drive from one system and put it in another. You can do that!

A friend of mine just changed from a stone old intel i5 to a AMD 2700 and did just the same and he has no problems at all. 

I guess win 10 is pretty good in changing hardware, even the crucial one like motherboard and CPU. 

Nevertheless I would also do a clean install. 

On 2/14/2019 at 11:29 PM, DavidP said:

when I built a 486DX2 (!)

LOL that phrase brings back memories....my 1st PC build (coming from an Atari 520ST)...was a 386SX....yeah so your 1st was a monster compared to mine...bet you even had 4 MB (yes that is megabytes) of ram?  I paid $100 for a math co-processor (yours was built into that monster) so I could get better frames from Sublogic's ATP.  When I went from 1MB to 2...I thought I was in heaven...and wanted so bad to upgrade to a 512 video card, but way too expensive. 

Of course, I did splurge and get a 120 MB HDD up from the 80 MB....didn't know what to do with all that free space, hehe.  These days the various bus chips on our motherboards has more processing power than our entire rigs did back then.🤣

Oh...and to the OP, agree with what most are saying here...bite the bullet and do an OS wipe and start fresh....even if you get it working with other tricks....deep down in the bowels of your OS code there will be things that will bite you unexpectedly and you'll spend days/weeks trying to figure them out....only to find it was because of that....speaking from experience here.   (I was young and stupid at the time...many years have past since then and now the only difference is that I'm not young....)🙄

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg