Sign in to follow this  
Warren Allred

737NGX Slowing Way Early?

A response to the suddenly increasing decel rate from the increasing drag, until the gerbil turns the wheel a few more laps and the FMC realizes that is indeed what it wants to do?   😉

Just guess, I don't know either! 

Andrew Crowley

It cracks me up sometimes when it does it. The newbie F/O's just look amazed when I predict it and hold my finger over the thrust levers and move in time with them like I'm using the force! Got to have a laugh when you can!

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

I was deploying flaps to help with drag but assumed that since my current FMC target speed was below the max extension limitation it would still hold the current programmed target speed.  Too much Airbus and MD-88 time I guess...  🙂

Warren, I'll repeat the mantra of training departments worldwide. Thou must not use flaps to slow down!!! Use the speed brake for that.

Anticipate and try to deploy flaps at least 10-15kts below the limit speed, preferably slower. 

Typically, let the speed fall to close to up speed before calling for flap 1. Again, wait until flap 1 is indicated and LEDs are green before calling for flap 5. 

If you are high, leave speed at the up speed and with flap 5 it will descent nicely. No point using speed brake below about 220kts clean, as the clue's in the name. Once flap is out though, it becomes more effective to help descent. You can use it up to flap 10 BUT NOT AT FLAP 15 or more. 

Them's the rules we have to stick to.... Try it. Play like its real.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!