Sign in to follow this  
Trubshaw

Can I use a dummy FSX for Scenery

On 2/15/2019 at 3:59 PM, Trubshaw said:

Now With Main FSX being tricked into thinking it’s , it’s own Add on Scenery folder.

Do NOT place this scenery in the Addon Scenery folder.  Keep it separate.  The Addon Scenery folder is for simple sceneries that maybe have one or two .bgl's.  Put it in the Horizon Simulation folder and link the Scenery.cfg to it.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello Jim.

May I thank you for all the work you have looked into for me, I really appreciated you held.

I think we are on the right wave length now.  I have not looked at the Scenery CFG yet,

But the Library is as you are saying, All the layers as you discribe are there in the Library the standard default FSX has 1 to 120 entries. By adding this  GenX Scenery it add another 75 entries to the default 120.

I can and have added all these 75 entries (or layers as you call them) maunually by opening the folders ie, Volume 1, then Area 1 then photo,, at this point the diroctory bos, and the Scenery Title Box automatically fill with text, and add the layer to the Library. So I have done all of this manual Scenery adding a whole 75 time, and FSX does find the scenery and it works, Ok,

As you say about the night layer making it not useable in the CFG file,  It’s also in my library, I just need to tick or untick as appropriate.

So what we are saying I have installed it all correctly in the first place with the Library showing ever layer, Photo1.8 Scenery 2.4  Mesh, and so on. Area after Area, 75 layers in total.

Shortly this is not the same for all  developers Scenery. It would drive me crazy., By the way I have a blue sea FSX Map, and GPS, and as you mentioned about only ticking the area in going to fly in,  Is this why it’s takes 6 minute to load, Untick this scenery I get my normal map and GPS back, and from clicking the FSX icon I’m back to 37 second on the runway ready to go.

Please tell me Orbx just shows just one entriy per Area in the Library, 

121 Southern England

122 Midlands

123 Northern England

124 Scotland 

4 downloads for Titles in the Library,  the rest of it is automatically taken care of working in the Background or CFG Folder.

Trubshaw.

I agree, having 75 different areas/layers is huge and it is time-consuming to get it all placed in the Scenery Library.  This is a very old product (but still current as FSX is an old product too) and installers have gotten better.  I have almost all of the MSE States and that's about 45-47 scenery areas/layers.  When I first got them for FSX, I had enabled 20 States and it took a very long time for the scenery to load (even though I was only planning on flying in 1 or 2 US States.  My HDD was thrashing like crazy and after about 30 minutes, I shutdown FSX and disabled all but just a couple.  It is nice to have realistic scenery when flying but difficult to manage.

26 minutes ago, Trubshaw said:

Please tell me Orbx just shows just one entriy per Area in the Library, 

I am no longer an expert on Orbx scenery but understand you need to install Global, Vector, and Landclass before installing some of their scenery.  That replaces all of the default scenery and why they don't have to add much to specific areas.  I own all of the Regions like the Pacific NW, Southern California, etc. but have not reinstalled.  Each area has a lot of folders and they put all of their elevation files in Scenery/World/Scenery.  Anything in that folder loads even if you do not use any Regions during a flight session and they are mostly elevation files.  That could cause problems but I had few problems with that folder.  My issues were the fact the Regions are not compatible with many airports and you have to go through a lot to make each airport compatible.  I lost interest...

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim.

I plan to re read all of thia Topic as I need a clear understanding of everything.

First, When I delete a layer or entry in the library, What am I deleting,

The path only, or the complete everything associated with that scenery area.

The Scenery is on an external SSD, So do I delete the library layers then delete what’s on left on the SSD . I want to completely remove All.

From what I’ve read about Orbx is has a new Central T Manager, Which  puts everything in the correct order,, and if an update comes out it can if ticked automatically update everything ,, and the Sceanery is easy to download. It reads like they have put a lot of work into simplifying things for the customer. 

I use the sim as an instrument platform which it does quite well. I use a combination of hand and autopilot flying down to DH then the high work load of a go around into the hold, Idenify the morse of all the Nav Aids ete run the stop watch from the outer marker . Just small short leg flights with as many beacons as I can fit in,, and in the States as this ware the inner, middle and outer markers are. In the UK you only get an Outer Marker or nothing at all. Today the FMC flys the aeroplane  and one becomes more of an aeroplane operator or manager rather than a pilot.  And I guess one day there will be nobody up front just a computer with a pair of eyes, Yes that’s already here, Drones,  Anyway back to Orbx , I seem to have read that once Orbx is on your computer its difficult to remove all, ie like many anti virus products. Is this true.

However I think Orbx will suit me , Also when I pop out of cloud sometimes to see a bit of scenery will be quite nice.

Trubshaw.

11 hours ago, Trubshaw said:

First, When I delete a layer or entry in the library, What am I deleting, 

The path only, or the complete everything associated with that scenery area.

You really are not "deleting" anything.  You enable the scenery or disable it.  If you disabled Area1, you should also disable the Photo, Mesh, and Night.  No reason for those items to load.  Scenery for FSX/P3D can be located anywhere on your computer system.  The only thing it cares about is the link.  In the Scenery Library, if you highlight the scenery, you can then select to delete the link (but not the scenery on the SSD).  If you enable a scenery, you check the box to enable.  To disable, you uncheck the box.

From what I’ve read about Orbx is has a new Central T Manager, Which  puts everything in the correct order,, and if an update comes out it can if ticked automatically update everything ,, and the Sceanery is easy to download. It reads like they have put a lot of work into simplifying things for the customer. 

This is correct.  They are slowly updating their installers for their software.  Do not think this includes Regions like the Pacific Northwest unless it is for P3DV4.

I seem to have read that once Orbx is on your computer its difficult to remove all, ie like many anti virus products. Is this true.

Hopefully someone who owns Orbx products can answer this.  As I recall with the Regions and airports like Friday Harbor, Palm Springs, San Diego, etc., you have to open up FTX3 and click on the scenery, and select Uninstall.  You should not use your Add/Remove Program uninstaller or try to remove it manually.  This is especially true for Global Base products as they must back up the default scenery when you install it and they have to reinstall the default scenery after you uninstall it.  FTX/Orbx have great forums but most questions, like yours, has already been asked there so, if you ask again, you might get a terse response to search the forums first.  AVSIM use to have a great tutorial on how to uninstall/reinstall Orbx products but AVSIM cannot be endorsing one product and not another from another developer.  It gives the impression we endorse their products and it is also free advertising so had it removed.

Submit News to AVSIM

I should add an addendum to my above post: 

Freeware scenery I place in a separate SSD drive in the directory, "ADDON SCENERY" (in my case it's the "F" drive).  I always do the install through the FSX Add Scenery app. 

However, for payware and/or demo scenery I still place them in the root FSX ADDON SCNERY folder just to keep them separate.