Sign in to follow this  
davetfc

Monitor refresh rates on a multi-display system

Hi,

I'm currently using P3Dv4 (v4.4) on a multi-display system. I've read a lot of advice here on configuring the refresh rate of the monitors to obtain a stutter free experience in the sim. Problem is that I can only adjust the refresh rate on the primary monitor. I can only use 60Hz on the other two monitors. Will adjusting the refresh rate only on the primary monitor be sufficient?

Kind regards,

Dave

15 hours ago, davetfc said:

Hi Alan,

Using three screens with a group view.

Really all three monitors will have to be able to output @ 30 Hz.

I've given it a go myself and having 2 monitors @ 60 Hz is not going to achieve great results, but you can certainly trial it out and see what sort of results you can achieve.

Personally I'd say to give just the primary monitor @ 30 Hz a trial (as in use just the one screen), and it you like it get a couple more.

I also have multiple P3D GFX profiles, each tuned with specific levels of detail pertaining to the type of scenery/aircraft catagory, e.g Photoreal is for when flying in Photoreal scenery and has most sliders to the max and low detail is the opposite.

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

9 hours ago, Rogen said:

Really all three monitors will have to be able to output @ 30 Hz.

I've given it a go myself and having 2 monitors @ 60 Hz is not going to achieve great results, but you can certainly trial it out and see what sort of results you can achieve.

Personally I'd say to give just the primary monitor @ 30 Hz a trial (as in use just the one screen), and it you like it get a couple more.

I also have multiple P3D GFX profiles, each tuned with specific levels of detail pertaining to the type of scenery/aircraft catagory, e.g Photoreal is for when flying in Photoreal scenery and has most sliders to the max and low detail is the opposite.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for the information. As I'm unable to set 30Hz on any of the 3 panels, I'm sticking to 60Hz on all three. The lowest I could get was 40Hz on my primary display only.

I've now taken a completely different approach and although it would not seem logical, it gives me the best results so far - smoothest and minor stutter occaisionally. Basically in P3Dv4 I've set unlimited frame rate and turned off vsync and TB. In NI I've set frame rate limiter to 58 FPS (v2 frame rate limiter) with TB on and vsync set to 1/3 refresh rate.

I will also try your tip of using multiple P3D configs for specific types of flying during the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Kind regards

Edited by davetfc