Sign in to follow this  
Dean33

RXP GTN750 Flight Plan Import (resolved)

Hi 

I am struggling to get the flight plan import 'button' to show up.

1     I have upgraded RXP to the latest version.

2     I have followed the instructions in the RXP manual and have created a FPLN folder at C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN and I have unzipped the trial data into the folder.

Then restarted P3DV4.  Went to Flight Plans and Menu and still no import button.

Have the instructions or location changed, please?

Thanks

Dean

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

2 hours ago, Dean33 said:

Went to Flight Plans and Menu and still no import button.

Dean,
I just checked and I also do not seem to have the GTN's Import button any longer.  I may be the most prolific user of it with the GTN previously.  Checking again with the GNS this time and will post back.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Dean,
I just checked and I also do not seem to have the GTN's Import button any longer.  I may be the most prolific user of it with the GTN previously.  Checking again with the GNS this time and will post back.

UPDATE:  
Dean. Found my issue.  Now this is in FSX not P3D.  This may be something new as I have not experienced it before.  In "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases" I found I had the FPLN subfolder.  However I use the shortcut method also described in the User Manual.  That allows you to store the .gfp files in a different location.  I use that method to store mine in a location that is included in my data backup routine.

Anyway, in the same folder: "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases" I had an empty folder named FPLN also had a shortcut named FPLN.  So in that same folder I had both.  That has not been an issue before, but today it does appear to create a conflict. 

With the empty FPLN folder in place I could not get the Import button, despite having many .gfp files at the shortcut location.  If I copied some .gfp files into the empty FPLN folder I got the Import button back, with only those few plans showing.  If I emptied the folder again then my Import button went away again.  Then, when I deleted the FPLN folder and just left the shortcut FPLN, the Import button came back and all my many .gfp files at the shortcut location were listed.

Again, this may be something new.  Appears now that you can either use the folder at  "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\ FPLN",
or 
a shortcut named FPLN in "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\", but not both.

If both are in place it now appears to create an issue.

Hope this helps you with the issue you are experiencing.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

UPDATE:  
Dean. Found my issue.  Now this is in FSX not P3D.  This may be something new as I have not experienced it before.  In "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases" I found I had the FPLN subfolder.  However I use the shortcut method also described in the User Manual.  That allows you to store the .gfp files in a different location.  I use that method to store mine in a location that is included in my data backup routine.

Anyway, in the same folder: "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases" I had an empty folder named FPLN also had a shortcut named FPLN.  So in that same folder I had both.  That has not been an issue before, but today it does appear to create a conflict. 

With the empty FPLN folder in place I could not get the Import button, despite having many .gfp files at the shortcut location.  If I copied some .gfp files into the empty FPLN folder I got the Import button back, with only those few plans showing.  If I emptied the folder again then my Import button went away again.  Then, when I deleted the FPLN folder and just left the shortcut FPLN, the Import button came back and all my many .gfp files at the shortcut location were listed.

Again, this may be something new.  Appears now that you can either use the folder at  "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\ FPLN",
or 
a shortcut named FPLN in "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\", but not both.

If both are in place it now appears to create an issue.

Hope this helps you with the issue you are experiencing.

Had same issue.
GTN; When using the shortcut method can't have both a FPLN folder and FPLN shortcut. I deleted the FPLN folder and the Import button reappeared.
GNS; Still able to import flight plans with both FPL folder and FPL shortcut present.

• Like 1

Just now, BillS511 said:

GNS; Still able to import flight plans with both FPL folder and FPL shortcut present.

Yes. I failed to report this earlier, but found agreement!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I'm wondering how you could even have both working to get started with, because the code is supposed to stop looking once it finds one. GTN .12 and .13 (just released) change some of the 'file access' handling a little bit to overcome some of the problems people were reportedly having with flight plan import, or more generally with the trainer not finding its files.

Could it be when people are reporting these  errors is just because they create both the shortcut and the folder and in this case it failed on them? Sure enough, I never thought anyone would ever create both anyhow because the whole purpose of the shortcut method is to get rid of the fixed location!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks Guys. I had a fault plan and version 2.11 even though I thought I had updated. Now properly importing from folder  

Sim Brief seems pretty acceptable- I’ve just created KLAX to EGCC.

3 locked points so off to study that now!

Cheers. 

• Like 1

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

45 minutes ago, Dean33 said:

3 locked points so off to study that now!

Dean,
Those most often occur where the database has waypoints with duplicate names.  You can try by entering the waypoint in manually. If the GTN asks you to select from multiple choices you will then know.  This is a protective function Garmin built in. Garmin will not allow the GTN to choose for you.  Other issues I have seen during importing are waypoints that appear to be on an airway at your planning source but either a) are not on the airway in the database; or b) actually are on the airway in the database but the import function does not recognize it.  In the case of b) I have deleted locked waypoints and then found them on the airway when manually using the Load Airway function.  Go figure.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
ASUS