Sign in to follow this  
wyman_hd

Milviz F-4E APU on

Whenever I do "Cold&Dark" the F4E has a green APU light on.

Dziy3ZDUYAA7XM-.jpg

I can't start the engines. When I press "Signal External Airflow Start" nothing happens. On the F4J/S (there is no APU) it works fine. I'm guessing this APU is preventing my engines to start. How do i shut off the APU?

There is a reset APU switch just to the right of the throttles. And its not the same APU as in airliners (can't recall what it was, but I think it is related to the tail surfaces).

Edited by JB3DG

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

I am former USAF, and spent a lot of time around D and E models, and I don't recall the aircraft having an APU. We always did starts using air and power from a -60...

Russ

d60_004.jpg

Edited by b1bmsgt

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

On 2/20/2019 at 2:24 AM, JB3DG said:

There is a reset APU switch just to the right of the throttles. And its not the same APU as in airliners (can't recall what it was, but I think it is related to the tail surfaces).

I switch the APU to reject but i still cant signal for external airflow start...

On 2/20/2019 at 4:56 PM, b1bmsgt said:

I am former USAF, and spent a lot of time around D and E models, and I don't recall the aircraft having an APU. We always did starts using air and power from a -60...

Russ

I was intrigued by your post so I did a little search. You'll find here why some F4 had an APU and why you never saw one starting the aircraft 

http://joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/f4_11.html

starting with Block 40 (68-0452), an auxiliary power unit was added underneath the stabilator. However, it was only a battery-powered electrically-driven hydraulic pump and was not a small turbine engine. It provided just enough control to allow time for ejection, and probably would not last long enough to allow a landing.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I never actually crewed the aircraft, so my knowledge is less than a Crew Chief would have,  but I worked them in Phase, Transient alert and Aircrew Debrief and never heard mention of that APU. Probably one of those systems that you never think about until you need it... 😊

Russ

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Formerly Young (😩)

2 hours ago, b1bmsgt said:

I never actually crewed the aircraft, so my knowledge is less than a Crew Chief would have,  but I worked them in Phase, Transient alert and Aircrew Debrief and never heard mention of that APU. Probably one of those systems that you never think about until you need it... 😊

Russ

I see that you crewed the T33A. A2A Simulations had the project of making one few years back. It seems that it is on the backburner or maybe off the cooking range altogether I don't know. But they may  be interested by guys like you . Imagine one in P3D, wouldn't be that nice ? 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 5/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, domkle said:

I see that you crewed the T33A. A2A Simulations had the project of making one few years back. It seems that it is on the backburner or maybe off the cooking range altogether I don't know. But they may  be interested by guys like you . Imagine one in P3D, wouldn't be that nice ? 

Yeah, I crewed the T-33 at Griffiss AFB, NY 1982-86 with the 49th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. Actually, I spoke to them at FlightSimCon in 2016, the last one at the New England Air Museum, and mentioned my background to them. They said at the time that the project wasn't definite, and I guess they were telling the truth. Haven't heard a word about it since. I would really love a good T-Bird for P3D. I keep hoping maybe Milviz will do one, but...

Russ

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Formerly Young (😩)