Sign in to follow this  
Kenn

Graphics Card

I'm a newby to the Flysim World and in the process trying figure out where to go with the computer hardware I currently have.  My question is "is the Nividia GTX 1050 graphics card sufficient to run FSX (steam) without any hic-ups?"  Thanks for your input.

Welcome to the AVSIM forums! :happy:  Your Graphics card is fine...your real question should be "Can my CPU handle FSX without hiccups"?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The most important component of your PC is your CPU. That is what going to answer your question

5 hours ago, charliearon said:

Your Graphics card is fine.

I still run an EVGA GTX970 4Gb and that does the job quite well. No hiccups.

5 hours ago, charliearon said:

Can my CPU handle FSX without hiccups"?

Now, therein is the question and answer. Maybe not maxed out but I thought the OP should be able to get off the ground in FSX, forgive the pun

Welcome to the forums. Almost any recent video card is fine for FSX. As the guys have said above, the CPU is much more important than the video card when running FSX. The 1050 is absolutely no problem. What are the specs of your CPU?

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

20 hours ago, Kenn said:

I'm a newby to the Flysim World and in the process trying figure out where to go with the computer hardware I currently have.  My question is "is the Nividia GTX 1050 graphics card sufficient to run FSX (steam) without any hic-ups?"  Thanks for your input.

FSX is dependent on the CPU.  It was not programmed to use your GPU (in FS9, the GPU was more dependent).  So yes, the GTX 1050 will handle the rendering of textures for FSX well.  However, if you do not have a very powerful CPU, then it could be an issue.  In 2006, when FSX was first released by Microsoft, and 2007, when Acceleration was released, the best CPU's were the duo-core.  I recall I had the Core 2 Extreme X6800 which ran around 2.9GHz.  Still, it was nearly impossible to run FSX at 20FPS or higher.  Getting to 30FPS was what many seeked and many envied those who were able to accomplish that.  We all struggled back in those days with add-ons as the eye-candy made it difficult to get even 15fps and the number one topics were about fps, the blurries, the stuttering of FSX.  It is amazing FSX survived.  Then, in 2011, Intel released the first i7 CPU's, specifically, the i7 2600K which could be overclocked.  Suddenly the fps were no longer a problem except with some add-ons.  Today, I can get over 300 fps with FSX/Acceleration (or FSX-SE) with default settings with my current i7 8086K CPU overclocked to 5.0GHz.  I got the GTX 1080ti video card to render the textures when they were called by the program to render. Like in other games, the better the video card, the better the graphics.  So, like others recommended above, make sure you have a good CPU.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 2/16/2019 at 11:28 AM, Kenn said:

I use a GTX670 2GB card from around 2013 in FSX and it’s more than fine and that’s with tons of the usual addons.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator