Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

Moving scenery directories

I know this was talked about times and times again, but I have a one quick question as I never really moved anything around until now as I got a new SSD. My understanding is that any addon scenery which can't be deleted within the P3D client is xml based. In order to move it, I have to physically move the scenery folder to a new directory and update the xml with a new path? Should expect any possible complications? 

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I would just leave it, and not use it (it never should be used and given the problems people have had using this with multiple scenery I'm surprised LM hasn't gotten rid of it in P3D).  There is another thread going on about this very thing here on AVSIM.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, Drumcode said:

In order to move it, I have to physically move the scenery folder to a new directory and update the xml with a new path? Should expect any possible complications? 

If it is indeed based on an add-on.xml, that's the way to go. No complications. Just be aware of relative paths (=no drive letter), that means that the scenery is right next to the add-on.xml, and you will have to enter the correct and complete path to the new location.

But even if it isn't, you can just as well change the "Local" path entry in the scenery.cfg if you move a scenery to a different location. 

Just make sure to use a proper editor that is aware of file encoding, like Notepad++.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

I just went through the same experience, having reached capacity limit on my P3DV4 SSD drive.  Looking at the drive I realized that about half of what was taking up space was the ORBX directory. I have three other SSD's on my system that I want to use for scenery but WITHOUT having to delete, uninstall, or re-install P3D. 

After researching the many ways to approach the problem, I decided to use junction points.  Use one of the freeware programs (I am using Junction Link Magic v 2.0.3.0, do a google search and you'll find it), and I have linked / moved both the entire ORBX directory as well as the XML based DreamTeam AddOn manager to my other SSD, and it works great.  No deleting,  no re-install headaches, and very simple to use. 

best of luck, 

John 

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

11 minutes ago, joby33y said:

Use one of the freeware programs (I am using Junction Link Magic v 2.0.3.0, do a google search and you'll find it),

Or you can just use the "MKLINK /j" command on the Windows command line to create these symbolic links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink

(Yes, this spec is for Windows Server, but this command is available in "normal" Windows too)

I did the same with my entire "Prepar3D V4 Add-ons" folder, moved it to a dedicated SSD.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver, 

Yes, you certainly can.  However, I learned that one needs to know what one is doing, because if you mess up the command line, you can end up with problems.  I am fairly adept with command line stuff  - but being new to the concept of junction points and symbolic links in Windows, I decided on Junction Link because it's user friendly and nearly impossible to mess up.  Then I use add-on organizer from a well known developer 😄  to further manage this lot. 

cheers

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating