Sign in to follow this  
Jelle123

Unstable sim, with unpredictable freezes

Hello everybody,

I have a question. I just tried to do a flight from Amsterdam to Cape Town in the PMDG 777-300er, when the game crashed above Spain (around 100 NM left from Barcelona). I don't know why this happend, but in the Event Viewer I saw the reason for the crash: the file who caused the crash is the g3d.ddl, which is located in the root folder of P3D. I have searched for this, but couldn't find any clarifying information why this could happen. Do you guys can help me? My addons:

• Active Sky 2016+Rex Skyforce
  • Orbx Base+Vector
  • Chaseplane
  • Tomatoshade
  • PMDG 747+777
  • Qualitywings 787
  • Black Marble
  • Scenery Amsterdam: Flytampa
  • Scenery Cape Town: FSDG

Hope you guys can help me,

Kind regards, Jelle Miedema (Amsterdam)

What version of P3D do you have?  Version 3?  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides more information about the G3D error.  Unfortunately there is no fix for this crash for those using P3DV4.  I personally think there's an incompatible addon installed.  Tomatoshade?

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Then you have something incompatible installed.  In FSX, this was the worst error in the history of flight simulation and, after the whole community getting together to find the cause of the crash, no one could find a solution.  For FSX users, Pete, the developer of the FSUIPC utility, developed a trap for the G3D error and no one saw the crash again.  This is one reason I bought the FSUIPC utility even though I did not need the registered version for FSX.  He has not added the trap as he understands the error was fixed in P3D.  So, if you are getting this error, I would trace back to when you started getting the error and figure out what was last installed before the error.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The strange thing is that this is the first time. Do you thing I can prevent this crash to happen more often when I buy FSUIPC?

6 minutes ago, Jelle123 said:

Do you thing I can prevent this crash to happen more often when I buy FSUIPC?

For P3DV4, the FSUIPC utility is only payware.  To my knowledge, it will not prevent the g3d error.  When I got this error in FSX, it only happened in a specific area (the Orbx Pacific Northwest Region and near Seattle).

Submit News to AVSIM

Hello everyone,

The last couple of weeks I get extremely much freezes and crashes with P3D V4.4. The most frustrating thing is that I dont have a clue what is causing it, because I am running at medium settings, and a pretty good system. The problem is that every time I start the sim, everything looks normal and I notice any problems. Then, while a longhaul flight, the sim become a very dangerous thing: every knob I click, could be the last one... I was just doing a flight from GRU-FRA in the PMDG 777, and one hour before landing I decided to change the time to daylight. After I clicked on Time&Season, the sim freezed and I had to stop the application in the Task manager... After that I looked in the Event Viewer: nothing! This is just one om a lot of random crashes, and on this stage I almost get a crash every time I try to do a longhaul. Last week I got a crash while I was sleeping, but this time with a log, which sad that the crash was caused bij a G3D.ddl error. I have no clue if this could be the cause for all the crashes, but I dont think so because my last crash was the result of one click. Does anybody recognize something, and has a clue what the problem could be? Last week I did a complete reïnstal of my sim, and after every addon I restarted the sim to check for errors: nothing. I really don't know what to do, and hope that somebody could me a hint where I have to look for the crash.

My system:

• Windows 10
  • 6 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 

Addons:

• ORBX Base+Vector+OpenLC North America, South America, Europ
  • Active Sky 2016
  • Rex Skyforce
  • Chaseplane
  • Black Marble+Night Environement
  • PMDG 777+747
  • Qualitywing 787
  • Tomatoshade

I hope someone can help me with this,

Jelle Miedema (Amsterdam)

3 hours ago, Jelle123 said:

The last couple of weeks I get extremely much freezes and crashes with P3D V4.4.

I have merged this topic with your older topic with mostly the same subject.  Spamming AVSIM with similar topics is not allowed.  You state you have Active Sky 2016 installed.  In your earlier topic (which is now at the top of this topic) you stated you are using P3DV4.4.  Active Sky 2016 is not compatible with P3DV4.  This is most likely the cause of your freezes.  Please download and install the Active Sky version for P3DV4.

Submit News to AVSIM

Just now, Jim Young said:

I have merged this topic with your older topic with mostly the same subject.  Spamming AVSIM with similar topics is not allowed.  You state you have Active Sky 2016 installed.  In your earlier topic (which is now at the top of this topic) you stated you are using P3DV4.4.  Active Sky 2016 is not compatible with P3DV4.  This is most likely the cause of your freezes.  Please download and install the Active Sky version for P3DV4.

Sorry, I mean the version for P3Dv4. I thought it was named AS 2016... This can't be the error

3 hours ago, Jelle123 said:

The last couple of weeks I get extremely much freezes and crashes with P3D V4.4. The most frustrating thing is that I dont have a clue what is causing it, because I am running at medium settings, and a pretty good system. The problem is that every time I start the sim, everything looks normal and I notice any problems.

This does not compute when compared to your last sentence where you stated you reinstalled P3DV4 and all of your add-ons and now the sim does not start (you stated, "and after every addon I restarted the sim to check for errors: nothing" which indicates to me your sim no longer starts).

Nonetheless, the problem(s) you are having have nothing to do with P3DV4.  P3DV4 runs without any issues without any add-ons installed.  So, of course, it is one of your add-ons that is causing problems.  Now you have to find the add-on that is causing all of your problems.  It could be an add-on utility/enhancement like ActiveSky, REX Skyforce, Chaseplane, Tomatoshade, or BM/NightEnviro.  It cannot be the PMDG 777/747, QW787, or Orbx.  So I would disable all of your utilities or better yet, uninstall each one, one by one until the problem goes away.  You indicated earlier you had a g3d error and it only makes sense to me that that was caused by BM/NightEnviro, Tomatoshade, and/or REX SkyForce.

Submit News to AVSIM

1 minute ago, Jim Young said:

This does not compute when compared to your last sentence where you stated you reinstalled P3DV4 and all of your add-ons and now the sim does not start (you stated, "and after every addon I restarted the sim to check for errors: nothing" which indicates to me your sim no longer starts).

Nonetheless, the problem(s) you are having have nothing to do with P3DV4.  P3DV4 runs without any issues without any add-ons installed.  So, of course, it is one of your add-ons that is causing problems.  Now you have to find the add-on that is causing all of your problems.  It could be an add-on utility/enhancement like ActiveSky, REX Skyforce, Chaseplane, Tomatoshade, or BM/NightEnviro.  It cannot be the PMDG 777/747, QW787, or Orbx.  So I would disable all of your utilities or better yet, uninstall each one, one by one until the problem goes away.  You indicated earlier you had a g3d error and it only makes sense to me that that was caused by BM/NightEnviro, Tomatoshade, and/or REX SkyForce.

Thanks, I'll try that!

24 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

You indicated earlier you had a g3d error and it only makes sense to me that that was caused by BM/NightEnviro, Tomatoshade, and/or REX SkyForce.

But why do you think that that crash is triggered by trying to set the time, or going to the menu (clicking a knob)?

56 minutes ago, Jelle123 said:

But why do you think that that crash is triggered by trying to set the time, or going to the menu (clicking a knob)?

Because the sim is unstable because an add-on or even Windows is creating the instability.  If you have only P3DV4.4 with no add-ons or utilities, does this problem occur?  If it does, then why is it happening in your copy of P3DV4.4 and not in the thousands of other copies of P3DV4.4? 

I have had several "crashes" using P3DV4.4 in the past 3-4 months but none associated with P3D as P3D just happened to be running when the crash or freeze occurred.  One was "SettingSyncHost.exe" and I attributed that to turning on Sync in Windows 10 so disabled it and now no more crashes.  I have had ntdll errors too but those were attributed with my BIOS overclocking settings.  I later discovered one of my memory modules on my MB was bad.  Removed it and those crashes are gone.  This is why it is very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of a freeze or crash when running P3D.  So many variables!

Submit News to AVSIM