Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Island names in English?

I'm using the new maps that have been kindly provided but even on the standard ones the islands appear to be named in their own language. Is there any possibility they could have English ones as an alternative?

I'm flying over the Greek Islands at present and sadly, my Greek isn't up to much so I can't identify the islands.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, I think those names are integrated into the map and can't be altered by LNM.

At least that is the case with the Open Street maps.

Ernie

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

Yup, as Ernie said. Can't change.

The StamenTerrain theme also shows the non-greek names as far as I can see.

The Google terrain map (below) shows names apparently depending on your location since I see English and German names.

Alex

Thanks gents. I am seeing Country names in the google map vaersions but sadly not islands. It's not a big issue. Nice to have the Google maps available.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

25 minutes ago, nolonger said:

All three Google map versions appear to provide Island names?

They're not the English names.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

What are the "English" names for Folegandros, Sikinos and Ios?

Edited by nolonger

Thanks. Brilliant utility for which I and I am sure everyone else are truly grateful.

Mr Proudfoot must know what the "English" names are for these islands,

or he would not complain that they are missing.

56 minutes ago, nolonger said:

What are the "English" names for Folegandros, Sikinos and Ios?

Those islands are not familiar to me but Rhodes is. The Greek name is Rodos so I could probably work that one out. I don’t have my computer turned in now so can’t check but the popular island of Mykonos might well be named Μύκονος which isn’t easy to identify.

10 minutes ago, albar965 said:

Not every island, city or mountain has an English exonym. In Germany there is München/Munich, Köln/Cologne but my small home town is still my home town.:wink:

Alex

Agreed Alex which is why I didn’t mention cities, towns etc. And I am sufficiently educated to recognise Munchen as Munich. I’d even recognise Londres as London. 😉

Its not so much all foreign names, just the ones that have a different alphabet such as the Greeks and Russia to name but two.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@nolonger, I obviously missed them. I’ll look again tomorrow.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've double-checked all the maps and cannot see the name of the island shown. Toggling "Show Country and City Names" doesn't appear to make any difference with the Google maps. But I also triedit with OpenStreetMap and still couldn't see it.

No mention of Rhodes on this map.

LNM_Rhodes.png?dl=0

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

35 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Toggling "Show Country and City Names" doesn't appear to make any difference with the Google maps.

These options are normally only for the included vector maps (Plain, Atlas, etc.). They are enabled for custom maps only since I don't know whats coming as a custom map.

Showing the island names would require to change the map generator style (e.g. OSM is by default Mapnik) which is out of my control. Even more for the Google maps which are not based on free software opposed to the OSM maps.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Fully understood and it's not meant as any criticism. I only investigated further because @nolonger showed maps with the island names visible.

Happy for discussion on this to end now. I love your maps and always fly with LNM. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather