Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Island names in English?

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I've double-checked all the maps and cannot see the name of the island shown. Toggling "Show Country and City Names" doesn't appear to make any difference with the Google maps. But I also triedit with OpenStreetMap and still couldn't see it.

No mention of Rhodes on this map.

LNM_Rhodes.png?dl=0

Ray, top right corner in slightly bolder text than the other placenames is displayed Rodos. I agree it's tiny but it's there and not where we would expect. I'd expect a double size font dead center but tiny top right better than nothing eh? 

:). Great app indeed! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Russell,

That's the city of Rodos which just happens to be the capital of the island of Rodos (Rhodes). :wink:

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Russell,

That's the city of Rodos which just happens to be the capital of the island of Rodos (Rhodes). :wink:

I stand corrected! I'm thinking maybe a way around this in future would be to have the option to display geographical info in the tooltips for map regions as well as airports? I guess they would have to be objects in the sim for that to work or imported from somewhere else.The airport info tooltip shows a lot of local info. Are the names still Greek there? 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

30 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

I stand corrected! I'm thinking maybe a way around this in future would be to have the option to display geographical info in the tooltips for map regions as well as airports? I guess they would have to be objects in the sim for that to work or imported from somewhere else.The airport info tooltip shows a lot of local info. Are the names still Greek there? 

Tooltip info wouldn’t work for me. I can live with things as they are. It would have been nice to see Islands named and many are. But Alex is constrained by what is shown in the maps so this can’t really go any further.

I haven’t looked at airport info, I was only interested in knowing what island that was down below.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I haven’t looked at airport info, I was only interested in knowing what island that was down below.

Ah what I meant that was if you use the tooltip over an airport there is a LOT of info about the city/town/region/country etc in there. If you can't see tooltips then that's a different matter of course.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

3 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Ah what I meant that was if you use the tooltip over an airport there is a LOT of info about the city/town/region/country etc in there. If you can't see tooltips then that's a different matter of course.

A lot of airports in the Greek Islands don’t have airports. For everywhere else I would need to zoom in and hover over the airport. Not viable.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have Google Earth installed and all my addons imported. Agreed it would be nice to see them on the moving map in LNM but if an area piques my interest I can always get the info that way. After all I'm not flying THAT fast to just have the map static in the background. The layers options are very useful, you can display the names in English (default) or also display local place names as well.

UsyfEhf.png

Edited by sloppysmusic

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

I do too but back in FSX days I used FSEarth which overlaid the aircraft on Google Earth.

But the developer never made it compatible with P3D so that’s where LNM comes in handy.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Good grief!

All you have to do is zoom in on Rhodos and you will see Rhodes.

The same with all the others.

Just like any map, the closer you look, the more detail there is.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Did you think I have photoshopped the screenshots?

Edited by nolonger

13 minutes ago, nolonger said:

Good grief!

All you have to do is zoom in on Rhodos and you will see Rhodes.

The same with all the others.

Just like any map, the closer you look, the more detail there is.

Did you think I have photoshopped the screenshots?

I don’t see the name of the island on either of those images. I do see the name of the capital which just happens to be named Rhodes (Rodos).

Looking at the images you posted yesterday none include the Country / Island name. Just the name of large towns / cities.

A name to address you would be nice.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather