Sign in to follow this  
jon b

Finally-the home of cassette tape sims !

If like me you remember sat waiting for your Commodore 64 to load up sublogic flight simulator 2 off a cassette tape this place will be sacred ground, and amazing news.

FLYT simulations is working on KCMI Champaign-Urbana.

The hours I spent as a teenager flying out of here with its white wire framed runways and taxiways on a simple green background. Circuits,ILS and VOR approaches flown one after the other all day during school holidays all by using the keyboard for control.

Coming for both P3D and x-plane !

Ever since orbx did Meigs I was hoping someone would do KCMI.

I’m delighted by this announcement 

http://www.flyt.com.br/dev-insider/wip-champaign-urbana/

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I purchased the 2nd IBM PC in the state of Oklahoma in late 1981 (the Computerland franchise owner kept the first) and at the time of the order it was to be a cassette based system.  That changed over the next three months as IBM decided to require an 80K floppy disk baseline.  So my first two programs were floppy disk based Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0 and the Visicalc spreadsheet program.  I wrote my first word processing program in IBM Basic, adapted from Trash -80 Basic, because the only IBM compatible word processor at the time was Easywriter, which at $695 was a monopoly and was one third the price of the computer.  I already had a separate monitor.

Can you imagine building a $2,200 system today, to use with a monitor you already have, and then spending one third of that for a single software offering?  A single software alone.  Not a single software plus add-ons!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Wow, now that you mention it -- I remember the Computerland franchises.   That's where my first computer came from.

It's neat how the old FS areas like Champaign-Urbana are remembered.   I used to fly around there too -- and over to Bloomington-Normal.  Up past Rantoul and up to Roberts.  Kankakee.  Du Page.  Joliet.  Schaumburg.   The names come back to me.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Yes, Kankakee was as far north as the world went on the cassette version, but Champaign up to Kankakee refuel and back again used to be a great day out.

It’s great how although the sim was very basic your imagination filled in the gaps and in some ways you felt more connected than with the polished sim words of today.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

YES I remember that! I also remember when the world got connected...you didn't have just the 4 areas in the USA to fly in....you could fly from NYC to LA....amazing! It's come a long way for sure.

I would like to have the FS4, FS5 and FS6 running on a Win10-computer.
And have some addons like Hawaii, Carribean, Japan, Greece . ..
You remember? :wub:

Do you remember flying through the kitchen? Was boring with the cessna, but would be fun with a PC-21 or Space Shuttle 😍

Edited by Opterix

2 hours ago, Opterix said:

I would like to have the FS4, FS5 and FS6 running on a Win10-computer.
And have some addons like Hawaii, Carribean, Japan, Greece . ..
You remember? :wub:

Do you remember flying through the kitchen? Was boring with the cessna, but would be fun with a PC-21 or Space Shuttle 😍

I had the Japan Scenery Disk, for FS2.  

What was "flying through the kitchen?"  I don't seem to remember that.  

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB