Sign in to follow this  
9GTurn

Orbx xml method

Hi. Can anyone give a guide how to use the xml method for orbx?  Due to size of the TE stuff I was hoping to put my orbx files onto another drive to be called by P3D so I don't eat my entire sim HDD up with all my orbx stuff.

Thanks in advance.

There is none ATM but they said they consider it.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

I dont know about using xml method for Orbx. But with regards to saving HD space, you can create a symbolic link(look on youtube how it works) which basically creates a "mirror" folder in your P3d directory, but all the files are kept where ever you want them. I do this and it works well.

Edited by Litmoose

I do use the symbolic link method and it works great - it will solve your problem! 

Edmundo Azevedo

Ditto Edmundo, I also use the symbolic link method which works perfectly with P3D and FTX Central and the installers.  There is a thread in the Orbx forum explaining how to do this using tools to make it easy, or one can simply look it up in the Google machine and find the step to take.  It is very easy to do.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm a little surprised that they don't use the xml method. I thought they were consulted for the development of P3D (could be wrong) and my assumption is they would be using the preferred method for installing their products..

I'm not interested in saving disk space. I'd just like to get the entries out of my scenery.cfg. I don't really want to change anything, because I'm concerned I would mess up the link with FTX Central.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

10 hours ago, 9GTurn said:

Can anyone give a guide how to use the xml method for orbx?

Hi,

while technically possible, it is a pointless exercise. FTXCentral will put the scenery.cfg entries back in, every time you start that tool.

Your only real option is to use a symlinked directory on another drive, as described above. That works quite well, but it slows down the disk access to those files a tiny little bit.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

18 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

but it slows down the disk access to those files a tiny little bit.

Really, I looked into this before using the symbolic link and found that I am just doing explicitly what the operating system already does.  Do you have a reference?

Dan Downs KCRP

There's also no real need to have your ORBX scenery in with the xml method.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS