Sign in to follow this  
flyblueskies

Scenery Config Encoding Error??

I've installed Addon Organizer V1.25 b01. When I click Check encoding errors, I get incorrect character encoding with 'C:\PrograData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V4\scenery.cfg

I don't believe I've ever had this before.

Also, when I try to Export library for external tool, I get "Scenery Exporter Unhandled exception has occurred in your application..."

Are these two issues related?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

3 hours ago, flyblueskies said:

I've installed Addon Organizer V1.25 b01. When I click Check encoding errors, I get incorrect character encoding with 'C:\PrograData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V4\scenery.cfg

I don't believe I've ever had this before.

Also, when I try to Export library for external tool, I get "Scenery Exporter Unhandled exception has occurred in your application..."

Are these two issues related?

Hi,

sounds like something (a scenery installer most likely, or a manual edit using an editor that is not aware of file encoding) messed with your scenery.cfg. Make sure that the file is still intact (using Notepad++ or a similarly advanced editor).

Don't know about that exception, that could be caused by many things. I suggest that you update to the current version of P4AO first, then try again. If the exception is still there, then something - somewhere is wrong in your configuration. Feel free to send me an email with the exception details. The address is on the last page of the manual. 

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Thank you...I downloaded what I thought was the latest yesterday. After seeing your post, I double checked and found a much newer version...not sure how I missed that. Anyway, the unhandled exceptions are gone. Any yes, you are correct, my scenery.cfg file was encoded wrong. I tried to correct it with Notepad++, but it didn't work. So, I renamed it and then started P3DV4.4, which recreated it correctly.

Between the new scenery config file and the latest Addon Organizer, all is working again.

Thanks for your help!

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

You're better off letting P3d4 recreate its cfg files, but in Notepad++, to achieve the correct encoding one must use the menu option:

Convert to UCS-2 LE BOM (which is UTF-16, little endian, byte order mark present)