Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Cross wind landing question

On 2/19/2019 at 11:00 AM, Chock said:

Airbus A320

🧐 what the devil....! Who goes there... sin bin; 10 minutes 🙂

Brian Nellis

On 2/19/2019 at 8:54 PM, thibodba57 said:

I've never flown the 75/76 so can't comment on it.  But we keep the aileron input thru rotation even on a engine failure panels or not.  I suspect we have a tighter tolerance on pod strikes than the 75/76 especially on the 748.

Very cool. Always interesting to find out the variances between different airlines and aircraft types.

On 2/20/2019 at 4:54 AM, thibodba57 said:

But we keep the aileron input thru rotation even on a engine failure panels or not.

Quite right too!  No matter what type of commercial jet aircraft you are flying, one of the priorities during every takeoff and landing roll is accurate directional control and in order to do this - especially in a crosswind - it will be necessary to apply sufficient rudder and maintain wings level in order to keep all of the main wheels on the runway surface.  Keeping the wings level is particularly important on aircraft fitted with podded engines (including the 757, 767), where the engine to ground clearance is much less when compared to those fitted to the HS146.  Boeing's recommended technique for use of the ailerons is to maintain wings level throughout the take off and landing roll by applying sufficient into wind aileron as necessary.  The amount of aileron displacement required will obviously decrease as the airspeed increases - and vice versa. 

Probably the most important point in all of this - especially in gusty conditons - is to 'feel' what is happening to your aircraft and to 'fly' it by maintaining proper control at all times; i.e. anticipating and then responding correctly to the conditions you find yourself in.  Provided you are positioned correctly within the cockpit of your aircraft then more often than not the top of the instrument panel will give you a very good horizontal reference to compare with the natural horizon outside - which is one of the many reasons why the correct seat position is so important on the B747.        

My 2cents worth..

I’ve flown the 737/747 and although the Boeing FCOM/FCTM have similar techniques as mentioned above for the 757/767 too. Lifting spoilers must be considered (drag) and normally the procedure for me was to maintain wings level control input (spoilers down) until the wing that’s into the X-Wind begins to fly first. At this point gently roll the controls into the wind to keep wings level. On the 737 this is usually around rotation, on the 747 depending on the X-Wind component it can be well before rotation. Once you become one with the airplane that you fly it’s surprising how you will know when it’s time to apply some control input into the wind. It becomes a natural thing. 

On landing drag is good but I usually only applied as must aileron as needed to keep wings level. And yes the 747 wing keeps flying for quite sometime after touchdown.

IM