Sign in to follow this  
kityatyi

Making a perf calc tool connect to my main P3D computer

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with easy-to-follow steps.

I have bought a while ago a little takeoff performance calculator tool called TOPS. The author wasn't too helpful when I turned to him for help so I didn't even touch the tool. Now, more than a year later I decided to revisit this app and it looks like it received many updates. But I still don't know how to make it connect to my P3D computer.

The app itself is currently installed on my laptop. I can run it, it's fine, but in order for it to actually work  and calculate stuff, it needs to connect to the running flight simulator - which is on my desktop PC. Since the app isn't at all connected to the P3D PC, whenever I click "GET DATA FROM SIM" it obviously says  it cannot connect.

This is where I'd need help. I believe that there is a way to make it work, probably by using SimConnect. I am wondering what exactly one needs to do in order to get this little tool on my laptop to connect to the P3D computer? Anyone could please shed a light on it.

Thank you very much.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

What is preventing you from installing the tool onto your P3d computer?

Does the application require an interface with the simulator or do you have the option of manually entering the information?  I use both TOPCAT, which interfaces with the PFPX planning program, and TOPER which requires manual entry.  Not familiar with TOPS.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

On 2/18/2019 at 9:00 PM, eslader said:

What is preventing you from installing the tool onto your P3d computer?

This is irrelevant to the question. I asked if anyone can help to get the tool to connect to the P3D PC, rather than to talk about reasons why I don't use it on the main one.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

7 hours ago, downscc said:

Does the application require an interface with the simulator or do you have the option of manually entering the information?  I use both TOPCAT, which interfaces with the PFPX planning program, and TOPER which requires manual entry.  Not familiar with TOPS.

Hi there and thank you for your reply! I also do own both TOPCAT and TOPER (for the 777). TOPS is a simple looking tool, it requires manual entry. I have actually never used it because when it was released it was kind of lacking in many ways but I have recently read that initial bugs are fixed and functions are added so I thought I'd give it a try but I do not like to ALT+TAB or interrupt P3D so I tend to install 3rd party stuff on my laptop (Active Sky, PFPX, TOPCAT, Navigraph Charts etc are all on my laptop). However, TOPS have no convenient ways of connecting it to the P3D computer and the developer wasn't too specific on how to do it, but at least, he did shed some light on it. Via WideFs, he said. But it isn't much help in itself. 

"Hello,

Yes it working on networked environment via WideFs . No need particular configuration."

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

If he says it works using WideFS, then it's interfacing via FSUIPC, not SimConnect. You'll need a WideClient license as well as an FSUIPC5 license from Pete Dowson.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.