Sign in to follow this  
Orinks

For those who use Turbine Sound Studios aircraft sounds

The “shhhh” cockpit noise sound is very realistic 

So I paid $30 bucks for the sound of “shhhh” ?!?  Heck, I could have got that sound for free by just cursing all the way during my flight!  😛

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

12 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

I’ve read that on approach in a 738, the pilots can’t hear the engines at all. 

10 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

Evidently barely if at all from the cockpit. 

First you say you've 'read' something about the pilots hearing the engines, then you state definitely 'barely if at all.'

You can indeed hear the engines when you are on approach, definitely more on the -700, but you can hear then on the -800 too.

9 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

MaddogX wind sounds in turn are hard codded unfortunately, to me they're overly synthetic and kind of irritating.

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

I could not agree more.  Major immersion killer.  It’s to bad they can not be replaced with something better.

I used to think the Maddog sounds sucked too until I jumpseated on the aircraft. You truly do not hear the engines at all, just the humming of the instruments/gyros and that weird wind sound which is way different than other aircraft. You may not like it, but it's realistic.

Ben 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

What's important to remember is that most of us don't have real world experience of sitting in the cockpit of the sim aircraft we are flying. Sorry, sitting in the first 5 rows of the real one or watching a YouTube video doesn't count. The differences in various noises, whether subtle or in-your-face, when right at the front of an aeroplane cannot be experienced outside of the flight deck.

all sounds included in this product are recorded in the real airplane

we received an extensive feedback from real 737NG airline pilots regarding important sound details. Every build of the soundpack is reviewed by the pilots and approved in the final stages of the development

When a developer like Immersive Audio make statements like that, it still might not be 100%, but perhaps we should accept that it's a lot closer to sounding like the real thing than we may otherwise think.

Following the advice from @ErichB and @GSalden, reducing the engine sound volume to around the levels they suggested feels right to me. But then again, what would I know?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

54 minutes ago, bbain1187 said:

First you say you've 'read' something about the pilots hearing the engines, then you state definitely 'barely if at all.'

You can indeed hear the engines when you are on approach, definitely more on the -700, but you can hear then on the -800 too.

I used to think the Maddog sounds sucked too until I jumpseated on the aircraft. You truly do not hear the engines at all, just the humming of the instruments/gyros and that weird wind sound which is way different than other aircraft. You may not like it, but it's realistic.

Ben 

Just going based on what I’ve read that in a 738 cockpit, on approach it’s very difficult to hear the engines. Not nearly as loud as 99.9% simmers have on their videos. 

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Thousands of hours in real 737's, sound pretty good to me. 

Right...

24 minutes ago, F737NG said:

What's important to remember is that most of us don't have real world experience of sitting in the cockpit of the sim aircraft we are flying. Sorry, sitting in the first 5 rows of the real one or watching a YouTube video doesn't count. The differences in various noises, whether subtle or in-your-face, when right at the front of an aeroplane cannot be experienced outside of the flight deck.

When a developer like Immersive Audio make statements like that, it still might not be 100%, but perhaps we should accept that it's a lot closer to sounding like the real thing than we may otherwise think.

Following the advice from @ErichB and @GSalden, reducing the engine sound volume to around the levels they suggested feels right to me. But then again, what would I know?

Clever marketing.

Its amusing how a YouTube video next to the engines in the cabin sound like what I hear every time, yet a YouTube video from the cockpit - all wind noise, air conditioning, shakes, rattles and other noises - now is incorrect and should be replaced in the sim by highly processed and crystal clear engine sounds. 

Ok. 

2 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

Just going based on what I’ve read that in a 738 cockpit, on approach it’s very difficult to hear the engines. Not nearly as loud as 99.9% simmers have on their videos. 

With flaps 30 you can hear the engines as they are set to more power..

And I use FSPS Dolby Cockpit Sounds so I can hear the flaps wind sounds ( setting/speed dependent ) too.

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

11 hours ago, ErichB said:

A hugely underrated factor in flightsimming generally, is sound engineering.

Immersive 737 sounds are the best (available) in my opinion for the 737. 

For the best 777-300ER sounds, I use the TSS GE90-115B.  It's a cut above the PMDG supplied set.  I don't like all of the TSS packs, but they nailed this one (except the reverse sounds)

For 747-400 and 747-8 sounds, I think PMDG nailed it.

I've not used the Qualitywings 787 much at all, but I liked the spool-up and take-off sounds when I did.

It;s important to lower the engine volumes in the P3D Sound settings.  I set mine at about 1/3.  

I think QW 787 comes with tss already from the package like with CS

I use TSS for the maddog, and tbh i think they are fine.

6 hours ago, bbain1187 said:

Ben 

I’m sure the implementation of the sounds is accurate.  My issue is the quality of the sounds and the transitions.  The wind sound seems to be a very short recording and it is to easy to tell when it repeats itself.  It sounds like a two or three second clip that just keeps repeating itself.  

Matt Wilson

8 hours ago, LH340fan said:

I think QW 787 comes with tss already from the package like with CS

I use TSS for the maddog, and tbh i think they are fine.

QualityWings products do not use TSS sounds.

They are custom made in house for every product we make.

Edited by American 833 Heavy

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

4 hours ago, American 833 Heavy said:

QualityWings products do not use TSS sounds.

They are custom made in house for every product we make.

Oh well ok then I was wrong haha but they still sound good

After reviewing my many real life 737 NGX takeoff videos the engine sounds you actually hear vary greatly depending on where you sit.  In 9A you certainly hear the high pitched twine featured in the Immersive sound set but back in 26A much less just a low rumble.  So I guess the same may apply to the cockpit.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."