Orinks

For those who use Turbine Sound Studios aircraft sounds

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

Curious whether anybody uses any TSS sounds such as the 737, 787?

 

The wind sound, at least for me, is seriously overkill. I'm not even sure if its realistic by default and is very loud, overpowering the engines.

 

Anybody have a fix or is that actually realistic?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I haven't used TSS sounds in years (mainly in XP now), but at cruising speed/altitude in a jet airliner's cockpit the engines will barely be audible, if at all. The predominant sound is loud, rushing wind. The 737 has a reputation for having a very loud wind sound in the cockpit in particular. While I haven't heard the sounds you're wondering about, if you're at 30,000ft+ and mach .85 you shouldn't be hearing the engines much at all. The wind sound is supposedly much more dramatic than what you'd hear in the very first passenger rows, and even there you mainly hear wind and not the engines at cruise altitude. On youtube, there are plenty of long videos from inside the cockpits of airliners that show just how prominent the wind sound is at cruise. 

As you descend and slow down, the wind sound should gradually abate and by the time you're getting close to landing you should be hearing the engine sounds more prominently again. 

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds are still the achillis heal of flight simulation.

The only realistic sounds out there are the FSLABS A320/A319 and MJC Q400.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, avgaskoolaid said:

As you descend and slow down, the wind sound should gradually abate and by the time you're getting close to landing you should be hearing the engine sounds more prominently again. 

I’ve read that on approach in a 738, the pilots can’t hear the engines at all. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

I’ve read that on approach in a 738, the pilots can’t hear the engines at all. 

 

You can hear them on approach if they are spooled up. 

FsLabs in particular has made great strides in producing realistic sounds. They dynamically control the engine sounds and make them gradually drown out as your gain altitude. There is still improvement to be made, but they are great.

In real life on a 737 or A320, once you pass 10,000 or so the buzz-saw sound fades out and as you gain airspeed you can't really hear anything from the engines except a faint tone/vibration. Same goes for descent, you just hear the low bass tones with changes in thrust and then once the airspeed slows down on approach you can hear the mid-range whine as the engines spool up.

Ben 

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, bbain1187 said:

You can hear them on approach if they are spooled up. 

Ben 

Evidently barely if at all from the cockpit. 

Share this post


Link to post

Here I use the Immersive 737 cockpit sounds on my 7.1 sound system.

P3D

Engines 25%

Cockpit 50%

Environment 100%

 

I only hear the engines on the ground and when flying slow.

The “shhhh” cockpit noise sound is very realistic 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

MaddogX wind sounds in turn are hard codded unfortunately, to me they're overly synthetic and kind of irritating.

Share this post


Link to post

A hugely underrated factor in flightsimming generally, is sound engineering.

Immersive 737 sounds are the best (available) in my opinion for the 737. 

For the best 777-300ER sounds, I use the TSS GE90-115B.  It's a cut above the PMDG supplied set.  I don't like all of the TSS packs, but they nailed this one (except the reverse sounds)

For 747-400 and 747-8 sounds, I think PMDG nailed it.

I've not used the Qualitywings 787 much at all, but I liked the spool-up and take-off sounds when I did.

It;s important to lower the engine volumes in the P3D Sound settings.  I set mine at about 1/3.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

 

Another one that sounds way over the top to me. Like the pmdg over hyped engine sounds. Very processed.

Thousands of hours in real 737's, sound pretty good to me. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Folks,

While I don't fly a great deal of commercial air - TSS is the gold standard by which I judge all other sound sets... I can't vouch for their validity in anything larger than a piston twin - but - I do enjoy them and they work for me...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, GSalden said:

Here I use the Immersive 737 cockpit sounds on my 7.1 sound system.

P3D

Engines 25%

Cockpit 50%

Environment 100%

 

I only hear the engines on the ground and when flying slow.

The “shhhh” cockpit noise sound is very realistic 

Forgot to say that I have my front + center speakers set to -10 and my side + rear surround speakers to + 10.

Bass is +6.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

MaddogX wind sounds in turn are hard codded unfortunately, to me they're overly synthetic and kind of irritating.

I could not agree more.  Major immersion killer.  It’s to bad they can not be replaced with something better.

Share this post


Link to post

The “shhhh” cockpit noise sound is very realistic 

So I paid $30 bucks for the sound of “shhhh” ?!?  Heck, I could have got that sound for free by just cursing all the way during my flight!  😛

 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

I’ve read that on approach in a 738, the pilots can’t hear the engines at all. 

 

 

10 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

Evidently barely if at all from the cockpit. 

First you say you've 'read' something about the pilots hearing the engines, then you state definitely 'barely if at all.'

You can indeed hear the engines when you are on approach, definitely more on the -700, but you can hear then on the -800 too.

9 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

MaddogX wind sounds in turn are hard codded unfortunately, to me they're overly synthetic and kind of irritating.

 

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

I could not agree more.  Major immersion killer.  It’s to bad they can not be replaced with something better.

I used to think the Maddog sounds sucked too until I jumpseated on the aircraft. You truly do not hear the engines at all, just the humming of the instruments/gyros and that weird wind sound which is way different than other aircraft. You may not like it, but it's realistic.

Ben 

Share this post


Link to post

What's important to remember is that most of us don't have real world experience of sitting in the cockpit of the sim aircraft we are flying. Sorry, sitting in the first 5 rows of the real one or watching a YouTube video doesn't count. The differences in various noises, whether subtle or in-your-face, when right at the front of an aeroplane cannot be experienced outside of the flight deck.
 

Quote

all sounds included in this product are recorded in the real airplane

Quote

we received an extensive feedback from real 737NG airline pilots regarding important sound details. Every build of the soundpack is reviewed by the pilots and approved in the final stages of the development

When a developer like Immersive Audio make statements like that, it still might not be 100%, but perhaps we should accept that it's a lot closer to sounding like the real thing than we may otherwise think.

Following the advice from @ErichB and @GSalden, reducing the engine sound volume to around the levels they suggested feels right to me. But then again, what would I know?

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, bbain1187 said:

 

First you say you've 'read' something about the pilots hearing the engines, then you state definitely 'barely if at all.'

You can indeed hear the engines when you are on approach, definitely more on the -700, but you can hear then on the -800 too.

 

I used to think the Maddog sounds sucked too until I jumpseated on the aircraft. You truly do not hear the engines at all, just the humming of the instruments/gyros and that weird wind sound which is way different than other aircraft. You may not like it, but it's realistic.

Ben 

 

Just going based on what I’ve read that in a 738 cockpit, on approach it’s very difficult to hear the engines. Not nearly as loud as 99.9% simmers have on their videos. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Thousands of hours in real 737's, sound pretty good to me. 

 

Right...

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, F737NG said:

What's important to remember is that most of us don't have real world experience of sitting in the cockpit of the sim aircraft we are flying. Sorry, sitting in the first 5 rows of the real one or watching a YouTube video doesn't count. The differences in various noises, whether subtle or in-your-face, when right at the front of an aeroplane cannot be experienced outside of the flight deck.
 

When a developer like Immersive Audio make statements like that, it still might not be 100%, but perhaps we should accept that it's a lot closer to sounding like the real thing than we may otherwise think.

Following the advice from @ErichB and @GSalden, reducing the engine sound volume to around the levels they suggested feels right to me. But then again, what would I know?

 

Clever marketing.

Its amusing how a YouTube video next to the engines in the cabin sound like what I hear every time, yet a YouTube video from the cockpit - all wind noise, air conditioning, shakes, rattles and other noises - now is incorrect and should be replaced in the sim by highly processed and crystal clear engine sounds. 

 

Ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

 

Just going based on what I’ve read that in a 738 cockpit, on approach it’s very difficult to hear the engines. Not nearly as loud as 99.9% simmers have on their videos. 

 

With flaps 30 you can hear the engines as they are set to more power..

And I use FSPS Dolby Cockpit Sounds so I can hear the flaps wind sounds ( setting/speed dependent ) too.

 

Edited by GSalden

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, ErichB said:

A hugely underrated factor in flightsimming generally, is sound engineering.

Immersive 737 sounds are the best (available) in my opinion for the 737. 

For the best 777-300ER sounds, I use the TSS GE90-115B.  It's a cut above the PMDG supplied set.  I don't like all of the TSS packs, but they nailed this one (except the reverse sounds)

For 747-400 and 747-8 sounds, I think PMDG nailed it.

I've not used the Qualitywings 787 much at all, but I liked the spool-up and take-off sounds when I did.

It;s important to lower the engine volumes in the P3D Sound settings.  I set mine at about 1/3.  

 

I think QW 787 comes with tss already from the package like with CS

I use TSS for the maddog, and tbh i think they are fine.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, bbain1187 said:

 

First you say you've 'read' something about the pilots hearing the engines, then you state definitely 'barely if at all.'

You can indeed hear the engines when you are on approach, definitely more on the -700, but you can hear then on the -800 too.

 

I used to think the Maddog sounds sucked too until I jumpseated on the aircraft. You truly do not hear the engines at all, just the humming of the instruments/gyros and that weird wind sound which is way different than other aircraft. You may not like it, but it's realistic.

Ben 

I’m sure the implementation of the sounds is accurate.  My issue is the quality of the sounds and the transitions.  The wind sound seems to be a very short recording and it is to easy to tell when it repeats itself.  It sounds like a two or three second clip that just keeps repeating itself.  

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, LH340fan said:

I think QW 787 comes with tss already from the package like with CS

I use TSS for the maddog, and tbh i think they are fine.

QualityWings products do not use TSS sounds.

They are custom made in house for every product we make.

Edited by American 833 Heavy

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now