Sign in to follow this  
Orinks

For those who use Turbine Sound Studios aircraft sounds

Hi all,

Curious whether anybody uses any TSS sounds such as the 737, 787?

The wind sound, at least for me, is seriously overkill. I'm not even sure if its realistic by default and is very loud, overpowering the engines.

Anybody have a fix or is that actually realistic?

I haven't used TSS sounds in years (mainly in XP now), but at cruising speed/altitude in a jet airliner's cockpit the engines will barely be audible, if at all. The predominant sound is loud, rushing wind. The 737 has a reputation for having a very loud wind sound in the cockpit in particular. While I haven't heard the sounds you're wondering about, if you're at 30,000ft+ and mach .85 you shouldn't be hearing the engines much at all. The wind sound is supposedly much more dramatic than what you'd hear in the very first passenger rows, and even there you mainly hear wind and not the engines at cruise altitude. On youtube, there are plenty of long videos from inside the cockpits of airliners that show just how prominent the wind sound is at cruise. 

As you descend and slow down, the wind sound should gradually abate and by the time you're getting close to landing you should be hearing the engine sounds more prominently again. 

Sounds are still the achillis heal of flight simulation.

The only realistic sounds out there are the FSLABS A320/A319 and MJC Q400.

• Upvote 1

Immersive Audio sounds for the 737 NGX sound pretty good to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZMWcprK2Q

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

3 hours ago, avgaskoolaid said:

As you descend and slow down, the wind sound should gradually abate and by the time you're getting close to landing you should be hearing the engine sounds more prominently again. 

I’ve read that on approach in a 738, the pilots can’t hear the engines at all. 

21 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

I’ve read that on approach in a 738, the pilots can’t hear the engines at all. 

You can hear them on approach if they are spooled up. 

FsLabs in particular has made great strides in producing realistic sounds. They dynamically control the engine sounds and make them gradually drown out as your gain altitude. There is still improvement to be made, but they are great.

In real life on a 737 or A320, once you pass 10,000 or so the buzz-saw sound fades out and as you gain airspeed you can't really hear anything from the engines except a faint tone/vibration. Same goes for descent, you just hear the low bass tones with changes in thrust and then once the airspeed slows down on approach you can hear the mid-range whine as the engines spool up.

Ben 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

56 minutes ago, bbain1187 said:

You can hear them on approach if they are spooled up. 

Ben 

Evidently barely if at all from the cockpit. 

Here I use the Immersive 737 cockpit sounds on my 7.1 sound system.

P3D

Engines 25%

Cockpit 50%

Environment 100%

I only hear the engines on the ground and when flying slow.

The “shhhh” cockpit noise sound is very realistic 

• Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

MaddogX wind sounds in turn are hard codded unfortunately, to me they're overly synthetic and kind of irritating.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

A hugely underrated factor in flightsimming generally, is sound engineering.

Immersive 737 sounds are the best (available) in my opinion for the 737. 

For the best 777-300ER sounds, I use the TSS GE90-115B.  It's a cut above the PMDG supplied set.  I don't like all of the TSS packs, but they nailed this one (except the reverse sounds)

For 747-400 and 747-8 sounds, I think PMDG nailed it.

I've not used the Qualitywings 787 much at all, but I liked the spool-up and take-off sounds when I did.

It;s important to lower the engine volumes in the P3D Sound settings.  I set mine at about 1/3.  

9 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

Another one that sounds way over the top to me. Like the pmdg over hyped engine sounds. Very processed.

Thousands of hours in real 737's, sound pretty good to me. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Hi Folks,

While I don't fly a great deal of commercial air - TSS is the gold standard by which I judge all other sound sets... I can't vouch for their validity in anything larger than a piston twin - but - I do enjoy them and they work for me...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

7 hours ago, GSalden said:

Here I use the Immersive 737 cockpit sounds on my 7.1 sound system.

P3D

Engines 25%

Cockpit 50%

Environment 100%

I only hear the engines on the ground and when flying slow.

The “shhhh” cockpit noise sound is very realistic 

Forgot to say that I have my front + center speakers set to -10 and my side + rear surround speakers to + 10.

Bass is +6.

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

8 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

MaddogX wind sounds in turn are hard codded unfortunately, to me they're overly synthetic and kind of irritating.

I could not agree more.  Major immersion killer.  It’s to bad they can not be replaced with something better.

Matt Wilson